Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sending Food Back

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone ever send food back or ask for a refund?

I got a refund yesterday after the meal I ordered came to me looking so raw inside - I was offered something else but was in a hurry so just got a refund instead.

Comments

• Options
    I've sent food back if it wasn't what I ordered, or if the meat has been very undercooked. I have friends who would rather die than send something back, but then you have to put up with them nibbling, bitching and moaning throughout the meal!
  • Options
    I was in two minds as well about sending my food back - partly cos it was quite tasty but the meat which was minced really did look like it was fresh from the butchers rather then fresh off the frying pan that I thought I could end up with food poisoning or something.
  • Options
    I have and do send food back if its not exactly what i ask for. I also hate it when waiters dont write down the order, repeat it incorrectly, you correct them and then they bring the wrong thing...it pisses me off even more if they act like its my fault they didnt get the order right.

I remember once i went out for lunch with a friend, we both ordered steaks and hers was a little undercooked, i told her to send it back but she wouldn't, i offered mine to her but she wouldnt take it then she went on about how she didnt like the food she didnt touch! If you're paying for it then make sure you get what you ask for in my opinion or dont complain!
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    If you're paying for it then make sure you get what you ask for in my opinion or dont complain!

:yes: I agree- although I do do a quick check for anything unsightly on the plate once it returns
  • Options
    The man is always sending food back. If theres even the slightest thing wrong with it, back it'll go. He's always talking to the manager and getting things comped because of the food or the service. Sometimes its so embaressing going out.
  • Options
    I hate complaining and sending food back, I feel horrible. The other week I asked for a muschroom, halloumi and vegetable pitta in Nando's and they sent me one with a chicken burger in. Instead of complaining I just ate around it. I didn't moan, though I did feel a bit grossed out as I don't eat meat and meat had been on the pitta but never mind :rolleyes:
  • Options
    yes, when there is something wrong with it
  • Options
    yeah ill send something back if its not quite right. Like i bought a panini the other day and cheese wasnt even melted inside so i asked them to cook it longer.
    Lennys fish looked overcooked too and my mum wanted to send that back too but i didnt think it loooked too bad so left it, but tbh cos it was two things, i just probably wont go back there again. places shoot themselves in the foot really when they dont take care enough, as a lot of people would rather just not go back again than complain - or complain AND not go back again.
    In wetherspoons once I go lamp chops and mashed potato and there was a bit of manky date sticker in my mashed potato. I sent it back and have never been in there since :yuck: and that wasa about a year ago.
  • Options
    Yes i do. I'll send it back if it's not cooked, it's cold or if it's wrong. I don't make a big deal of it though, just politely point out the problem and then ask them to change it.
    Amira - I also hate it when waiters dont write down the order, repeat it incorrectly, you correct them and then they bring the wrong thing...it pisses me off even more if they act like its my fault they didnt get the order right.
    I get that too. We use a posh hotel for work every couple of months and they're not allowed to write anything down so usually i do feel quite sorry for them if they have a big table or awkward customers but there's one lad there who is really cocky, doesn't listen, corrects you cockily when you say something wrong, doesn't listen and then fu**s up the order. That's when it annoys me. I'm a barmaid and as hard as it is for me to rein it in, when you're bar staff or a waitress you cannot have a bad attitude with customers as it just looks bad whether you know best or not.
  • Options
    the only times i send food back is if its meat and its undercooked. i can only eat meat when its well done, so when its not it goes straight back :yuck:

ive brought back items to supermarkets before tho!
    i got a multipack of volvic water a while back , opened the pack up to find that 3 of the 6 bottles had floating white stuff in it :sour: havent the foggiest what it was, but promptly brought them back. got a refund and a free multipack that was free of scuzz :)
  • Options
    I haven't ever asked for a refund in a restaurant but have had things for free when theres been something wrong with it as welll as a replacement. I have no qualms about sending things back, if I'm paying for it when I'm out I expect it to be of appropriate quality and don't understand it when people won't. I sent my pizza back in Pizza Express a couple of weeks ago because they forgot to put one of the toppings on, and they made me a fresh one and didn't charge me :thumb:
  • Options
    pizza express are good for that. The other day we were in there and i realised the pizza id ordered had anchovies on it. Totally not their fault as i should have read it more carefully but i chose quickly as we'd been chatting and it was the second time theyd asked if we were ready to order :blush:
    They changed it for me no problem though. I just said im really sorry but i didnt realise this was an anchovie one and I cant eat it.
  • Options
    When I was younger i send back some pancakes because they were burnt and the waiter told me off because aparantly i was a kid who's opinion didnt matter... my mother got pretty mad!

theyve closed down now, serves them right for telling of a kid
  • Options
    Don't tend to send food back, too worried about it being spat in or something. (anyone who has worked in kitchens want to say how often this happened there??)
    But i like to say something after i've eaten so they are at least aware there was a problem. Hope to be offered something to make up for it but that don't seem to happen for me.
  • Options
    Ive worked in kitchens and have never ever seen anyone do anything dodgy to the food
  • Options
    Ive worked in a kitchen and they never done anything bad to food after its been complained about, however ive seen them not wash their hands properly or dropping food that needs to go in the deep frier and not throwing it away but putting it in the deep frier.

another instance was these guys who were slightly drunk and trying to get one of the waitresses attention so saying that they needed another fork cos his fork was dirty, she walked away to get another fork and just rubbed it on her dress and gave it back to him
  • Options
    Ive worked in a kitchen and they never done anything bad to food after its been complained about, however ive seen them not wash their hands properly or dropping food that needs to go in the deep frier and not throwing it away but putting it in the deep frier.

another instance was these guys who were slightly drunk and trying to get one of the waitresses attention so saying that they needed another fork cos his fork was dirty, she walked away to get another fork and just rubbed it on her dress and gave it back to him

Yeah i must admit, ive seen some unhygienic things in kitchens, but nothing specifically directed at people that have complained.
  • Options
    Yeah i must admit, ive seen some unhygienic things in kitchens, but nothing specifically directed at people that have complained.

Completely puts you off doesnt!

but i think the idea of people doing bad stuff to food seems to come from movies, like 'sneezers' in friends
  • Options
    I had to send my glass back three times in pizza express the other week for having lipstick on it, I wasn't wearing any make up sp it certainly wasn't mine.