Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Disability Discrimination

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If a large high street store does not have disabled toilets are they breaking the disability discrimination act?

Comments

• Options
    Just had a look at various sites, and I couldn't find anything specific to shops, but it does say that in building regulations there should be all round (internal and external) access for disabled people and includes quite in-depth regulations on WC's.. It talks about buildings that aren't dwellings, so I can only assume shops come under that. If I'm right in thinking that, then yes.....

Anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong... the DWP site doesn't help much lol.
  • Options
    I don't know if they have to have seperate toilets for disabled people (since disabled toilets are kinda pointless... who would want to use one that doesn't work ;) )

Have you checked that there isn't a cubicle designed for those with disabilities within the 'nomal' loos? In a lot of places there is a larger cubicle with handrails etc in there.
  • Options
    Large stores don't have to provide customer toilets if they don't want to, disabled or otherwise.
  • Options
    But I thought that if they did provide them for non-disabled people they had to provide for mobility impaired, too? Maybe I'm wrong about that it could be a loophole.
  • Options
    But all places of work are supposed to have facilities for Disabled people - therefore there should be at least toilet avaliable to disabled staff (and therefore disabled customers) - I think.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    But all places of work are supposed to have facilities for Disabled people - therefore there should be at least toilet avaliable to disabled staff (and therefore disabled customers) - I think.

There probably is a disabled staff toilet, but it doesn't mean there has to be a publically accessible one. If the shop doesn't want its customers to pee, it doesn't have to let them, whether they are disabled or not.
  • Options
    If they're serving food or drink to be consumed on the premises (as a lot of larger stores do) then they have to provide toilets, and therefore have to provide disabled toilets AFAIK.
  • Options
    Probably shooting myself in the foot here but it's my work (which has a restaurant) so I definately know there aren't any disabled facilities.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »

is this the law? or just guidelines?

theres no chance in hell anyone in a wheel chair could get anywhere near the offices by me, theres stairs at all sides of a mezzanine floor.
  • Options
    I do know that it is required by law, that any building of workplace that isn't a 'listed' building, must have a lift for disabled users; if it doesn't, it is in breach of the DDA.
  • Options
    I do know that it is required by law, that any building of workplace that isn't a 'listed' building, must have a lift for disabled users; if it doesn't, it is in breach of the DDA.

our building is part owned by the council still and therefore get inspected every 12months etc...

and not once in the 3 years i've been here have they recommended any changes, so it must not be an enforced law just a recommendation or something.

sad thing is however, we're unlikely to ever have any disabled people working here anyway...
  • Options
    Isn't it 'reasonable adjustment' eg if you'd have to gut the entire building to add a disabled toilet you don't have to, but if it just means redoing some of your existing ones you have to.