Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Nails Varnish Chipping

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

How do you prevent nail varnish chipping?!

I've tried top and base coat, more expensive nail varnishes e.g. Jessica/OPI etc

Any ideas?!

Comments

• Options
    In my experience; good nail varnish does not chip. Bad, cheap nail varnish does.

What are you doing on a day to day basis to make good nail varnish like Jessica chip?
  • Options
    I've never had a nail polish not chip. No matter the brand. Even the ones that state they won't chip for 7 days (my ass :\) It's the shower that gets them. They can be unchipped almost all day... then the shower comes and bam! they're gone. Toes never do. Those'll last until you take it off. Must be the hair washing that does it.
  • Options
    I honestly do nothing, I paint them to go out that night and they chip! its poop!
    Tried with/without top/base coat!
    Its crap! Must be my rubbishy nails!
  • Options
    I use mainly Chanel nail varnish and it takes aaages to chip, at least 2 weeks.

Recently bought 4 Barry M nail varnishes and am surprised to say they're really good and only chip after about a week and a half.
  • Options
    I wear lots of different brands of polish, I have cheap ones and then OPI, Chanel, Estee Lauder all of them chip off after about a day. I have tried buffing my nails, using base and top coat, OPI chip skip all sorts but nothing works. A lady that used to do my nails said it could be that my nails are very oily and the oils rise to form a barrier between my nail and the polish and that could be the reason it chips off.
  • Options
    are you wiping your nails with some nail polish remover before applying any polish at all? It helps a bit
  • Options
    always am :(
  • Options
    What Amira said. Also 'set' your nails in a basin of cold water instead of running around flapping your arms like a deranged pigeon.

And don't ask how a guy knows this.
  • Options
    tried that tooo :(
  • Options
    Do that then put a coat of clear nail varnish on top?
  • Options
    Another reason why your nails may chip quicker than others; do you leave enough drying time before each coat? Because, I find if I rush it, they seem to stay tacky for a long time, and chip much earlier.
  • Options
    I am a nail tapper so chip my polish that way. If you use the computer a lot then each time you click the keyboard, small fractures will form in the polish. The best thing i have found is using a polish made to help harden your nails (rimmel do a good one). I have found it helps if you use it as a top and base.

I also don't believe using more expensive ones makes any difference. I used to work for Lancome and their polishes chip really badly.