Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Did Dragons Really Exist?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru

I have no idea if they did or not - but I do thing it's interesting that Dragon's are seen throughout world history from England and Wales to as far as China.

Any thoughts? ..

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Probaly not
    So do 'great flood myths'

is there any evidence that they might have existed as some point?
    Probably different cultures saw fossils of dinosaurs and the only expalnation they could think of were dragons.
    or maybe a long time ago people had some trouble with some weird winged lizard things? They probably didnt breath fire, but stories get egg-saturated over time.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,677 Skive's The Limit
    If something is in many societies across the world, and seemingly was there before these societies ever met, I can only think of three possible explanations:
    1. It's just coincidence (the most unlikely IMO)
    2. The societies had a common "ancestor" society
    3. They all had the same experiences.
    interesting summary of dragons from all over the world.

http://www.blackdrago.com/fame.htm

Also every creature from the Chinese Star signs can be seen today - except the dragons

http://robertrbrown.com/chinese_star_signs/index.php
    komodo1.jpg

^ Dragon

You know how these things work. Someone exaggerates because his penis isn't big enough. "Yeah, I killed 30 of them, 20 feet tall, and they breathed fire, yeah fire." Did giants really exist? Minatours? Witches? Zombies? Centaurs? Actually, apparently the first time certain people saw men on horseback, they thought that it was a single creature - but then that might be a myth too.
    Does this have anything to do with the proposal that the dragon on the Welsh flag be added onto the Union Jack?

Do dragons exist? You could ask the same question of Nessie. People claim to have seen the Loch Ness monster over the years. People probably claimed to have seen dragons many hundreds of years ago. Depends whom you believe.
    Probably different cultures saw fossils of dinosaurs and the only expalnation they could think of were dragons.

:yes:
    It's probably not a good trait but I don't even wonder about it, it's all bullshite! Like ghosts. I guess I'm cynical in that way.

And the dragon on the union jack would be ace.

If scotland becomes independent can we get rid of the cross? Then we can have a red cross with a dragon curled around it and an ulster hand thing in it's mouth :).
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    And the dragon on the union jack would be ace. If scotland becomes independent can we get rid of the cross? Then we can have a red cross with a dragon curled around it and an ulster hand thing in it's mouth :).
    The only thing I don't understand about all this is why the idea has come about now. For... ooh, hundreds of years now, the Welsh loathed the English with a passion. Have they suddenly decided to let bygones be bygones? :confused:
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,252 Skive's The Limit
    Of course.

dragonsden.jpg
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    The only thing I don't understand about all this is why the idea has come about now. For... ooh, hundreds of years now, the Welsh loathed the English with a passion. Have they suddenly decided to let bygones be bygones? :confused:

Because in my experience the Welsh will go to any lengths to bitch about the English. First it's that they're not independent and no-one recognises them as seperate to England, and then it's that they're not represented on the flag of the union, which they don't want to be a part of, honest.
    You have George And The Dragon from medieval times then you have the Chinese dragon. Whether the Chinese actually called their's a dragon is one thing but it's interesting how dragons have came about from different times in history and from different cultures. There are dragons in nowaday fiction too, Harry Potter just being one of many.
    Because in my experience the Welsh will go to any lengths to bitch about the English.
    Yes, along with almost every other nation in Europe. :p
    First it's that they're not independent and no-one recognises them as seperate to England, and then it's that they're not represented on the flag of the union, which they don't want to be a part of, honest.
    It's slightly more complex than that. At the moment, the Welsh Assembly is run by a coalition of Labour and Plaid Cymru. Now, Plaid Cymru's ultimate goal for many years was Welsh independence, but they seem to have watered that down somewhat over the last five years or so. Now they don't know what they want. If I remember correctly, it was a Plaid Cymru MP who made this initial proposal, though I'll have to check with that one.
    I don't object to it in principle, it's just that it wouldn't go. The cross of St. David is the wrong colour, and pasting a dragon on the top would just look tacky.
    I DO believe in dragons, clap clap.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Because England invaded much of Wales, not that the knuckle draggers in my home town understand much about Wales' history, they just want a fight. The English placed their laws in Wales and tried to get rid of the Welsh language and culture... In the middle ages.

It wouldn't surprise me if Maggie Thatcher shutting down steel works and mines in Wales caused friction.

Culture is very important to people in Wales as is the language which is disappearing. I can understand wanting to keep these elements, but not the nationalism. I mean it all happened years ago, get over it.
    DG wrote: »

I have no idea if they did or not - but I do thing it's interesting that Dragon's are seen throughout world history from England and Wales to as far as China.

Any thoughts? ..

I hope so-and unicorns like someone else said!
    Monserrat wrote: »
    You have George And The Dragon from medieval times then you have the Chinese dragon. Whether the Chinese actually called their's a dragon is one thing but it's interesting how dragons have came about from different times in history and from different cultures. ..

That's just what I'm wondering about - how did such a similar creature come about in totally different cultures thousands of miles apart, unless they really existed or unless the people were able to move from one region to the next and spread word or tales of such a creature?
    they are myths.
    If they ever existed, some researchers would most likely have found fossiles of at least one dragon by now. So I'd say no.
    That's just what I'm wondering about - how did such a similar creature come about in totally different cultures thousands of miles apart, unless they really existed or unless the people were able to move from one region to the next and spread word or tales of such a creature?

dinosaur fossils
    drag1.jpg

Fossils? Who needs fossils? :p
    aw%20picture%20(2).jpg

It's quite peculiar, but humans do tend to develop very similar things. Look at Pyramids - found all over the world in different forms. (South America, Eygpt, SE Asia). Bow and arrows... and so on. I think much of it comes from common ancestry, that's the only viable explanation. Then if dragons were mythical creatures back then - perhaps because of dinosaur fossils - then perhaps the myth carried on. Then again... we don't have a complete picture of humans - someone recently discovered homo sapiens which placed us 40,000 years earlier than anyone had ever thought. Perhaps we have been around longer than some people suggest.