Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Long term relationship with someone less intelligent?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just curious your opinions. Barring everything else (i.e., emotional intelligence, etc.) - how do you feel about a relationship with someone significantly less intelligent than you? I really mean barring all else (assume they are great in every other way). I'm just curious, reading a short story made me think of this.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Relationships forum.
  • Options
    I dunno, I don't think it would be a problem if the chemistry was ok...? But a similar level of maturity is quite important to the chemistry I think.
  • Options
    I went out with a guy for a while in 6th form. We got on great in many ways but broke up mainly because I was bored. At the time I was doing 4 A levels and heading for Cambridge, he'd left school at 16 with 1 GCSE at A*-C and gone to agriculture college.

Initially wasn't a problem, but I started to get frustrated by his total lack of comprehension over my academic life, he had no idea what I was talking about and seemed somewhat baffled by my need to read/study and do coursework.

It also got mildly frustrating when I found myself having to turn down my language between talking to him and talking to friends from 6th form.

That said, that was 6th form age when school etc is a big part ofyour life, whether it would be different now I don't knw.
  • Options
    I couldn't go out with somebody less intelligent than me, probably why I've been single for so long. :cool:

Ok, the last part was a joke... But for me, if the person isn't intelligent, doesn't question the world and doesn't read books then it turns me off instantly.
  • Options
    I couldn't do it. I tried it once, but when I went to uni and he was still working in Morrison's with no ambition or goal to do anything else with his life I realised that I should pitch more at my own level because quite simply, he bored me.
  • Options
  • Options
    Depends by how much. I think almost every girl I've went out with for any significant length of time has commented on me being smarter than them, but it's usually been in different areas. I tried the whole shit you do when you're younger, going out with being based majorly on looks, but it doesn't work since there's not a whole lot to talk about. Making 'intelligent' jokes were annoying as hell, too. You'd finish and they'd sit there looking at you as if waiting for you to deliver the punchline, then when they realised that was it, they'd look at you as if you were the stupid one.
  • Options
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Can you tell me an intelligent joke please? I'll probably be too thick to understand it though.

(mebbe you just tell rubbish jokes!) :)

Well it's not like I sit them down and be all "JOKE TIME, I GOT THIS FROM A CRACKER!", it's usually spur of the moment in response to something that happened/something someone said.

And no; other, smarter people in the group at the time actually got the jokes :razz:
  • Options
    Without sound big headed I'm currently in this situation.

I love my boyfriend to bits but academically at GCSE (his furthest education) he got 10 C's I think which in no way is bad but I got 5 A*s and 2 A's and 3 B's.
    I'm now at college doing A levels and he does an aprentaship type thing (God I sound intelligent :lol: ).

It really annoys me when I have work to do either just studying or actual coursework and he's always like 'Just sack it off' so we can do something. He doesn't understand or maybe care about my grades.

I know he is actually quite intelligent though and chooses not to make the most of it. It may be something to do with his friends (in my eyes retards the lot of them!).

However he's got intelligence I dont have, like is more 'street smart' and I often get called ditzy :blush:.

Anyway back to the OP I don't think I could go out with someone I'd class as having a low level of intelligence but a little difference doesn't make that much difference.
  • Options
    Probably a rant and perhaps a bit provocative, but it kinda surprises me how often people going for higher education tend to regard themselves as more intelligent than those who don't.
  • Options
    Couldn't give a rat's about school grades etc, my husband left school at 16 and spent the next ten years travelling the world living a mind-bogglingly interesting and horizon-broadening life.

He could hold his own on any topic, has met more people than I have have ten times over, has acted, danced, been to hell and back, is well-read, well-travelled, open-minded, big-hearted. For me that all goes into somebody's character and emotional intelligence, how much of the world they've let into their head and their heart. I'd sooner have this emotional intelligence than academic success/good track record, it says nothing of the person other than they were blessed with a brain that's skilled in certain areas. Meh, I'm rambling.

Yes, you can have a long-term relationship with someone who doesn't have the same academic record as you do. Probably better that way, to be honest. Even better not to care about that shit, it becomes apparent at some point (can't pinpoint when exactly) that it's... irrelevant.

I myself "only" studied Nursing at University, and the world seemingly never tires of throwing people in my path who think that shows some inferior intelligence/lack of ambition/inability to hold a textbook up the right way etc.
  • Options
    I couldnt go out with someone for long who couldnt hold their own in conversations etc, and that I was always explaining stuff to, but dont give a monkeys about their education n that. People always turn up their nose at me because I have a degree from, lets say, one of the least prestigeous uni in the land, so being a snob about education is something Im not down with.
  • Options
    hmm, its a delima of the this materailistic world that today we calculate someones intelligence from someones Academic results.

What i have seen is people who get straight A's are just machines. They have no common sense. And just machines and machines and machines.
  • Options
    muh.adil wrote: »
    What i have seen is people who get straight A's are just machines. They have no common sense. And just machines and machines and machines.

Brilliant that one, no one who gets straight As could possible have any common sense.....

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Yeah academically my partners and I have always been worlds apart - I'm currently doing an MA and I've never been with anyone who got past GCSEs. However, that is generally because I don't want someone who is busy being intensely intelligent all the time - sure I like to talk about philosophy, politics and world issues, but sometimes I just want someone I can talk rubbish and mess around with and not always be having a serious meaningful discussion.

Also I think really good academic qualifications just mean that you are good at and probably enjoy writing essays, reading and doing exams, which I am, but I wouldn't have a clue how to sort my car out if it broke down, how to fix something in my house etc. Plus there are so many more life experiences my current partner has had from spending a few years in the army and working abroad that I will NEVER have, and I think life experience is a great form of intelligence.

If we are talking academic terms, then it seems like I've always gone for people who are less "intelligent" then me, but it is because I really value their life experience. I've spent so much time around students and people that have just graduated that it is nice to have a partner who comes from a completely different background. As long as we both respect what is important for the other, then I don't see it as an issue.
  • Options
    I've tried it but it didn't work for me. I got bored. Too mnay superficial conversations and not enough that challenged my mind and kept me feeling interested and stimulated by life with them.
  • Options
    Hm, I'm doing A levels and my boyfriend did well in his GCSEs despite not really caring about them, he's not very academic but he could be if he wanted to. He's really clever when it comes to working/fixing stuff. We're clever in different ways so I dunno who's 'smarter'. He can be a bit ignorrant when it comes to talking about current affairs because he doesnt watch the news so can be a bit bigoted in his opinions sometimes, I'm a bit more aware of the world around me - I think that's the main difference between us, I can get a bit frustrated sometimes when it comes to talking about that kind of stuff.
  • Options
    Education snobs suck dick.

I really don't care about people's education, as long as they have a good heart. However, one of my ex girlfriends was pretty stupid when it came to general knowledge. She did ok in school, got good grades e.t.c, but she didn't know anything about the world...locations of countries, capital cities, politics, history e.t.c, and stuff like that is very important to know about in my opinion. She didn't even seem to care, she had no opinions on anything and when I tried to explain to her about something she'd just tell me she didn't really give a shit. lol That really frustrated me at times and was probably another factor for me breaking up with her eventually.
  • Options
    muh.adil wrote: »
    hmm, its a delima of the this materailistic world that today we calculate someones intelligence from someones Academic results.

I would say its not even people who are getting Straight A's, its most of us, we just go to uni etc, just to get one piece of paper (degree), no matter we know what we are doing or not. No personal development in unis, just giving us some skills needed to make some money. The real subject we have to care about is philosophy, religion, politics, psychology, they have to be core, because these are things which makes us a real HUMAN otherwise we are just animals, wake up and go around to get some food, have sex and sleep at night.

hay where i am discussing this whole thing, i should have to make a new thread in politics and debate about "What is real Intelligence" what you all think?
  • Options
    It's very rare that you'll end up with someone significantly dumber than you in a long term capacity. People tend to seek out others who are similar to them, socially, mentally and financially.

Yes, there are exceptions but not often.
  • Options
    couldn't do that.

I hit it once off with a girl, who did practically nothing, but sitting at home, and doing just a few useless courses and stuff she needed to do, so she could still be on welfare until, they gave her a job. She did not seem very eager for a job and had no higher education. Glad I missed that one in the end.

Being a student I maybe became "picky" in that department, but intelligence became a really important factor for me, because that's something that will persist even after a lot of years, unlike looks, money, or "that feeling in your tummy that tells you s/he is the right person". Of course I do not speak of the cold, know-it-all intelligence, what many people seem to associate.

I don't know what existed longer, my pickiness, or the feeling of being inadequate among dumb people (doesn't obgligatory have to be knowledge-intelligence, more like social smarts, wisdom, bein 'quick' (if you get what i mean)), but I just feel weird among people who work 9-5 each day, live a live like in the movie "groundhog day", and on monday they just live for the next weekend to get plastered, as if I do not belong, as if I got nothing to say, as if nothing they tell me, would be of interest.

I suck in explaining stuff, but I do not mean "She got just A's in organic chemistry, molecular biology,... etc."-intelligence, but more like general stuff, having the ambition to educate yourself. Read a book, being inquisitive about science, technology, politics, geography...
    "too much" intelligence, as in having austistic traits is not what I am talking about.

very important factor.
  • Options
    I'm with someone more intelligent than me, so I guess it must be possible
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    sweetjack wrote: »
    how do you feel about a relationship with someone significantly less intelligent than you? I really mean barring all else (assume they are great in every other way).

Thanks

I think this is a questionable issue because you say 'assume they are great in every other way except for being intelligent' as far as I'm concerned someone can't be 'great in every other way' without being intelligent. It takes intelligence of different kinds to get things right in a relationship whether that be emotional intelligence, practical intelligence or any kind of intelligence. I'm guessing that what you might actually mean is less intellectual? OR actually a preferable way of putting it might be - a lack of interest in the topics/issues/whatever that really matter to you?

Having just written all this - I've now just read Matt Liverpools post and he pretty much says the same thing. :p
  • Options
    there's a difference between academic intelligence and just being straight clever. I have always found it really difficult to go out with anyone who wasn't bright because I hate having to tone down my conversations or vocabulary, plus bright people tend to have had more interesting experiences and views on the world IMO.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that they're academic or have a fistful of qualifications, though I must say that all these attacks on "academic snobbery" seem a bit harsh. TBH people up here at uni are significantly more intelligent than most of the population and to me that's a very attractive thing. Also they are mostly dedicated to learning - which again can be a massive plus point (when combined with social skills...). I don't see what's snobbish about that...I've been out with non academic and academic people, and all other things being equal I don't see what's wrong with preferring intelligent, broadly academic blokes.
  • Options
    But that doesn't necessarily mean that they're academic or have a fistful of qualifications, though I must say that all these attacks on "academic snobbery" seem a bit harsh. TBH people up here at uni are significantly more intelligent than most of the population and to me that's a very attractive thing. Also they are mostly dedicated to learning - which again can be a massive plus point (when combined with social skills...). I don't see what's snobbish about that...I've been out with non academic and academic people, and all other things being equal I don't see what's wrong with preferring intelligent, broadly academic blokes.

Don't you think it's shallow though to judge people on whether they've gone to University or not, and prefer them?

I mean, it's not unusual, 'studies have shown' that women tend to go for smarter / more successful men - it's just plain more attractive.

But I've travelled a little bit and found people with more interesting opinions than people at Uni who read something in a book and don't question it, but rather relish the opportunity to smite others with their 'superior intellect'.

The odd thing is most people I meet at uni don't tend to be (as) judgemental but there seems to be a common link in this thread about academics saying they would actively prefer people they data to have more intelligence / go to university, and even an underlying implication that those who haven't gone to university somehow don't want to learn / aren't capable.

Everyone's entitled to their tastes though, whether it's for tall, slim, intelligent, charismatic or worldly.

I think I agree most with Briggi. Education doesn't make you automatically better, it's what you do with it.
  • Options
    I'm amused by the assumption that staying on at school after GCSE, going on to university etc. is an automatic gauge of intelligence.
    I can safely say that being at university, I have met some truly genuinely stupid people. Not just doing so called 'soft' courses either. I have met people doing maths and physics who seem to lack basic intelligence.
    It, of course, matters how you define intelligence. I would class it as not only having expertise in your field, but a vague and basic understanding of the concepts behind other fields. The ability to comprehend and appreciate the complexities of the world that we live in. It's not derived from a superior knowledge of facts, what the most complicated thing you know is... In my opinion, true intelligence is demonstrated by a worldliness.
    In that respect, someone I went to school with left school after his GCSEs - he instead decided to work whilst he completed an Open University BEng, then and MEng and I believe he's soon to move to America to begin work on a PhD. He's only 20. He spends his spare time writing books on physics/engineering based home projects. Chosing a different path from the classical does not a fool make.

Back to the original purpose of the question - no, I don't think I could date someone who was unintelligent. I would just get bored. I actively avoid conversation with people who lack intelligence, I inevitably end up zoning out completely and sitting there with a completely vacant bored expression on my face, occasionally saying something completely random. I can't deal with it. I would rather be on my own than put up with incredibly dull and unintelligent conversation. I need people around me to be ambitious, interested, I need them to be thinkers...
  • Options
    I wouldnt like to be with someone significantly less intelligent. I think im less intelligent than my partner, hes able to grasp a lot more concepts than me but im far off stupid, and theres other things that im stronger than him on. Its never a problem. Acedemically we're both drop-outs so that bit would never be an issue.
    If you met someone and you couldnt hold a conversation together, then how on earth would it develop into a relationship anyway???
  • Options
    ah see I've only been up at uni one term but you can be fairly safe in saying that guys up here will be more intelligent than the large majority. I'm not saying that people who haven't been in higher education are guaranteed to be stupider - that would be idiotic and blatantly untrue - but that them being here IS a good guide to academic intelligence too. Though I agree that "renaissance men" are more attractive than anyone ridiculously specialised.
  • Options
    I don't think I'd like that, :no: I think you'd end up breaking up anyway cos you would have nothing in common to talk about? But intelligence, I don't believe that comes from whether you stayed at school etc, probably quite a naive opinion but I think that you're intelligent if you've got common sense, know what's right/wrong/morals etc, not if you've passed an exam in one subject at Uni