Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Christmas Present

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you think of this ring? I'm trying to get my GF a ring for Christmas, but I don't know what kind. She really wants Tiffany's, but it's really expensive and this ring is kind of at the upper limit of what I can comfortably afford. Any comments?

Comments

• Options
    It's alright
  • Options
    Its a bit plain and wedding band-ish tbh.
  • Options
    I reckon 'alright' isn't good enough :(

Fuck! Any decent rings from Tiffany's are 500 pounds and up....
  • Options
    Oh well, it looks like it's back to the drawing board for this one....
  • Options
    I reckon 'alright' isn't good enough :(

Fuck! Any decent rings from Tiffany's are 500 pounds and up....
    What is your limit and where were you looking?

There are some MUCH nicer rings than that around.

Mine was about £460ish including insurance but there were lots for cheaper....
  • Options
    Well, I'm in America at the moment, so my limit is around $700 (which, for a ring, I thought would be sufficient). She really wanted Tiffany's and a diamond, cause she's never been given one before, so that's where I've been looking.
  • Options
    Get Her so cheap electrical goods instead
  • Options
    I like it, but then I think jewellery is a pretty personal thing. What one girl loves, another hates.

Do you definitely have to give it to her on Christmas Day? You could get an empty ring box, and put a little note in it saying that you're taking her ring shopping and she can choose one she really loves, then wrap that up and give it to her?

Failing that, go window shopping, 'accidentally' peek through the jeweller's window and try to assess which ones make her gooey-kneed.

ETA: you may have to ignore that last bit - didn't read the thread properly!
  • Options
    Lol, I think she's more in the market for high-end designer goods....
  • Options
    $700!! You can get tons of beautiful rings at Tiffanys for that. The store will have much more than the website. I had a coworker get http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP00076&mcat=148204&cid=287466&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+287466-r+101323341+101424821-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+ which I think is really awsome, and in your price range. Is she intent on white gold?
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    I like it, but then I think jewellery is a pretty personal thing. What one girl loves, another hates.

Do you definitely have to give it to her on Christmas Day? You could get an empty ring box, and put a little note in it saying that you're taking her ring shopping and she can choose one she really loves, then wrap that up and give it to her?

Failing that, go window shopping, 'accidentally' peek through the jeweller's window and try to assess which ones make her gooey-kneed.
    I would love to do that, but I haven't been able to find any decent jewellers in Tucson yet... And if I could, they're all out in the mall miles from where we live. Tucson doesn't really have a 'high street' as such.

And I would personally like to give her it on Christmas day, just so it's out of the way and I don't have to brave the shops when it's sale season. Americans go crazy for their sales. After Thanksgiving (last week) there's something called a Black Friday sale, and shops open up at 4am. You would think that it wouldn't be that busy at that time in the morning? Wrong. It was just as busy as a holiday Saturday at midday....
  • Options
    If its your first year here, be warned, its not going to calm down any time soon :p
  • Options
    If its your first year here, be warned, its not going to calm down any time soon :p
    Thankfully it's not my first time in the States, but it is my first Christmas, so I'm trying to stay away from the shops as much as possible and do all my shopping online. The wonder of the internet for a misanthropist such as myself :)
  • Options
    What about this one?
  • Options
    Don't set the bar too high cos you'll have to keep getting her a better present year on year and it sounds like she has expensive taste already ...LOL
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Don't set the bar too high cos you'll have to keep getting her a better present year on year and it sounds like she has expensive taste already ...LOL
    I know exactly what you mean. Thus far we've had a few celebrations, and it's getting harder and harder to 'outdo' myself each time....
  • Options
    The first one's lovely but the second one :no:.. like someone said though, it's a personal thing.
  • Options
    TheKingOfGlassgow's location: c'mon guess!!

Err.... America??
  • Options
    TheKingOfGlassgow's location: c'mon guess!!

Err.... America??
    Oh....

Actually, you've got a good point. I should change it...
  • Options
    I really like the 1st one. Don't like the 2nd.
  • Options
    I really don't like the second one, but I'm not overly keen on the first either... but its like someone said, jewellery is really personal and one thing one girl loves is something another will hate.

Try and get some tips from her... failing that... does she have a close friend you can hassle a bit ;)? My OH has gone to my friends for tips before, failing that he's taken me out shopping... luckily after 3 years he's learning what I like as well as my friends do haha.
  • Options
    Oh....

Actually, you've got a good point. I should change it...

TheKingOfTuscan :thumb:
  • Options
    I buy my jewellry from www.bidz.com

It's kind of like eBay but for diamonds,etc...

If you in the UK you have to add VAT/import tax but in the US you pay what you bid.

I got Mrs Ninja a new engagement ring (the original we bought was a cheapy in our poorer days and I always said I would upgrade it at the 1st chance) which retailed at £2000 for £350 (plus £50-odd for VAT).

Worth a look. Might be too late too order for Xmas from the UK but should be OK for the US.
  • Options
    I dont like either of those rings posted. There are some gorgeous rings on that tiffanies site for under your price range but the ones i like seem to be sterling silver rather than white gold. Would that bother her?

I personally think rings arent a good present unless she chooses it. Maybe some other jewellery from there?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Is it just me, or is diamond tiffany ring meant for something *other* than a Christmas present? If I received that, I would assume that my boyfriend was proposing to me.
  • Options
    Have you been to the Tiffany's store? I went to the one in NYC :heart: and there were some which looked more like costume jewellrey (sterling silver) whcih would be cheaper.

I personally like the ring you chose! But I think that you would be able to find better ones with more diamonds. Have you been to the "Diamond" area in NYC?
  • Options
    I personally think rings arent a good present unless she chooses it. Maybe some other jewellery from there?

Yeah unless you're proposing then a necklace or soemthing would be better!
  • Options
    you might be able to get one cheaper on ebay?
    she'll never know
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    you might be able to get one cheaper on ebay?
    she'll never know

My wife always finds out when I get something from ebay. I'm a terrible liar.
  • Options
    I'd be quite impressed if my other half got something really awesome off ebay for a bargain price! I think it may make me love him more.

Does that make me a cheapskate? Actually, I dont care. It's true.