Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

how can i do xmas dinner on the cheap?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
and without going to iceland!

i really want to have a full on dinner with all the trimmings but i don't have a huge amount of cash.

i'll be cooking for 3 max so the quantity doesn't need to be huge...

any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Veg isn't really expensive. Roast potatoes again pretty cheap.

If you're only doing it for 3 you might be better off with turkey parts rather than a whole turkey, you get get legs/thighs etc rather than the whole bird. Or swap it for a chicken, they tend to come smaller.

If you want sausages in bacon make your ownl, but the ordinary length chipolatas then twist them yourself into mini size and wrap with bacon.

Gravy, use the juice from the roasting dish and then add some granules and water to that to increase the volume if needed.

Making your own bread sauce is pretty cheap.

Can't think of much else you'd need?

As for the whole crackers thing, Tesco value are the way forward, they look good, go bang, have a hat, a joke and a treat thing inside. The 'classier' ones have supposedly nicer treats but as they tend to vanish before the end of the meal not much point and the tesco value ones have the good old jumping frogs, nail through finger etc.
  • Options
    Have a really good chicken? I'd go with a free-range hand-reared corn-fed one that might be miles more than you'd usually pay for a chicken - but you'll get a flavour that's a million miles from a regular chicken and a much tastier meat than you get from most turkeys that will cost twice as much and take about a year to cook...
    I honestly believe, and have done for some time, that if you want the cheapest veg, it makes best sense to find a greengrocers and buy the veg that's a bit misshapen and covered with soil, wipe the soil off, cook and enjoy a far superior flavour than the crap in most supermarkets...
  • Options
    just go to iceland and dont be a snob!
    I always go there if im a bit broke and save a fortune and tbh, the stuff is no worse than any other supermarket, sometimes better
  • Options
    Do your own potatoes instead of buying roast potatoes?
  • Options
    dont buy frozen sprouts thouh. Theyre hideous.
  • Options
    Indeed, they're disgusting. Fresh sprouts, crossed and steamed are yummy though.
  • Options
    my only problem and huge expence: i want duck for xmas....where am i going to find one for under a tenner?

and do the early learning centre still have those make your own cracker sets? or does anyone else sell them?
  • Options
    http://www.iceland.co.uk/page/view/winter_roasts

you could buy one before xmas to check what its like?
  • Options
    cos i want a whole duck!
  • Options
    catch your own mallard?

You can lure the ones on our local boating pond fairly easily this time of year cos theyre all hungry. Never tried to catch one though.
  • Options
    catch your own mallard?

You can lure the ones on our local boating pond fairly easily this time of year cos theyre all hungry. Never tried to catch one though.
    Is that even allowed :p?

Why would you want a whole duck when you're only cooking for 3?
  • Options
    my only problem and huge expence: i want duck for xmas....where am i going to find one for under a tenner?

and do the early learning centre still have those make your own cracker sets? or does anyone else sell them?

:yes: we still do them! I was making them and the make your own xmas cards the other day! There fab I'm going to get some, even better with my 25% staff discount :thumb:
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Is that even allowed :p?

Why would you want a whole duck when you're only cooking for 3?

A whole duck isn't actually that much to be feeding three people with if they have big appetites, there won't be much left over anyway.
  • Options
    cos i want a whole duck!

The iceland link did have a whole duck for £9 for 4-6 people.
  • Options
  • Options
    yeah i want one thats not got stuffing, cos i want to make everything and give myself a hard time over xmas and be ill like i usualy am...it's tradition :P