Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Diclofenac

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I've just been prescribed Diclofenac to help a suspected cracked rib.
I asked the Dr if I could have alcohol with it and he said 1 or 2, has anyone had any experience?
I'm maybe going out next weekend and would ideally like to drink - to help me through the night!!

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    no experience but it has no warnings about drinking alcohol while taking it.

make sure u have plenty to eat as can irritate the stomach and alcohol isnt going to help that.
  • Options
    Alcohol hit me faster and felt worse in the morning but otherwise was fine.
  • Options
    I had soluble diclofenac after my tonsillectomy. The pink ones taste so much better than the white...
    As far as I can remember, it lowered tolerance but otherwise it was all fine.
  • Options
    Thanks!
    The Dr said it was ok for a few but then I googled it and saw all sorts!!!
    I'll see how I feel nearer the time, if I do drink it won't be much and I'll make sure I eat!!
    Don't want to slow up the recovery of this though as I've had it since July on and off :mad:
  • Options
    Diclofenic is just a pain killer - it wont mend your rib so whether you abstain or abuse alcohol, it won't affect the actual healing process. Alcohol could, however, affect effective pain control and have other side effects like sleepiness etc. If I were you, I'd drink cautiously rather than fall off your bike.
  • Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey Stary Eyes,

Like Teagan said, it’s probably a good idea to drink cautiously and not go over the top. Keep in mind what the Doc said and stop drinking as soon as you start feeling any unfamiliar side effects.

Drinking on medication is never a good idea and while you may not see the immediate effects right away, excessively drinking on medication can cause severe damage to the body in the future.

Have a look at the article about factors affecting drinking on TheSite.org if you want to read up more about how alcohol can affect you while on medication.

Hope this helps :thumb:
  • Options
    If you drink to excess, the vomiting isn't going to help your ribs much...
  • Options
    Would just be careful to be honest, they made me feel bloody awful when i had them for whiplash. Made me sick and feel even worse. Thanks to them though i felt that bad i gave up smoking :thumb: A friend is on them at the moment and he def. finds he has off days and also i do believe that you need to follow the instructions with what to take them with e.g with or without food or whatever it is. I think he finds if he eats and takes one he's fine, on an empty stomach they make him feel poorly.
  • Options
    Thanks for everyones help!
    I've been on them for over a week now was due to finish tomorrow but going to finish tonight as I've had a rubbish week at work but been feeling loads better so if I feel ok tomorrow I'm going to drink.
    Dr said to do 10 days and I'll have done 8 can always do the next 2 days starting on Sunday then see how I am after that!