Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

a (probably silly)sunbed question.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have never used a sunbed and have always been put off them coz of all the health warnings and stuff, but i was wondering if it would be ok to use them if you used suncream? would you still get a tan?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    well you would if you went on them for 20 times as long or something.
    Suncream protects you from the rays of the sun and the rays on a sunbed, so using suncream on a sunbed would reduce the harmful effects, but it would also stop you tanning.
  • Options
    after hearing about the girl who died from tumours in her chest from sunbeds I'm never getting one. Just go to a place you trust and make sure they dont put it up too high!
  • Options
    If you use a low factor like 4, 8 or 12 (depending on your skin tone) then it'll protect you from the harmful rays but you'll still tan a bit.

I use sunbeds sometimes and they're SO good in the winter when you never see real sun! I don't see the point in becoming completely orange, but if your skin's getting really sallow and you feel ghostly and icky, just one visit to a sunbed can make you feel so much better.

Just don't overdo it...
  • Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey,

Lots of people use sun beds these days to get a tan, even with the risks of skin cancer. Whereas the sun produces a mix of UVA and UVB radiation, sun beds mainly produce UVA radiation – the more harmful radiation that penetrates deeper into your skin.

Studies have shown that a sun bed can be more dangerous than lying in the sun – it’s estimated that 20 minutes on a sun bed can be the equivalent to about four hours in the sun.

If you are going to use a sun bed there are some precautions that you can take to reduce the risks. You can use sunscreen to protect yourself from the UV radiation, and you should not have any more than two sessions per week, for no more than 30 weeks of the year.

Have a look at our article on sun beds and sun sense if you want to find out more.

Hope this helps :thumb:
  • Options
    i would like to have a bit more colour than i have but i am worried about premature aging and skin cancer, so that was the thinking behind the sun cream.
  • Options
    Just slap some fake tan on!