Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

seizure tests

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i've got one coming up because they is a good possiblity i've got simple partial epilepsy. though i've never had a grand mal seizure or anything of the sort, i've been told that the test can trigger seizures, and i'm shit scared of having a grand mal. my "seizures" if thats what they are atm, i'm full aware of my surrounding i just con't control my movements and have horrible feelings ans visions...but i do have this consistant fear that i'm going to have a full blown fit...

has anyone had a seizure test, or simple partial epilepsy?

Comments

• Options
    Nope, try to think of the outcome of the test- a diagnosis, rather than the scary things.
  • Options
    if you do have a seizure then you are in the best place for it to happen, if you are concerned maybe ring them up beforehand so they may be able to relieve you over the likelihood of you having a seizure?
  • Options
    hmm, i will try to give them a call, though they don't answer the phone very much...
  • Options
    TT - are you talking about the EEG or something else? I had this done 7 years ago, but from what my dad told me, the tests are different for different people.

When I had mine done, I was put into a room by myself and attached a camera type thing. I was basically able to carry on as normal. My dad had one done 3 years ago. When he had his done, the doctors made him close his eyes and then open them to see if that made any difference/brought on a seizure.
  • Options
    yeah it is a EEG...

i am getting concerned because they are becoming more and more frequent, and often i'll be in public and i'll get one and i'll get the urge to scream or cry...it's horrible.
  • Options
    Do you actually go tonic-clonic or is it just cataplexy?
  • Options
    I've had an EEG, quite a while ago. They wanted to rule out any kind of epilepsy type thing, turned out I was having panic attacks.

They are designed to trigger seizures. It's actually best if you have one while you are being monitored, as they can tell what's going on in your brain, and treat you accordingly. If you're going to have a full on fit, a hospital is absolutely the best place to do it!
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    They are designed to trigger seizures. It's actually best if you have one while you are being monitored, as they can tell what's going on in your brain, and treat you accordingly. If you're going to have a full on fit, a hospital is absolutely the best place to do it!

If your having bad and frequent seizures it really is the best place to have one, as the medical staff can have a much better idea of how to treat you. The doctors and nurses doing the test will be used to doing them and will be able to reassure you.
  • Options
    Yeah I had an EEG, was scared about it. But it wasnt too bad. I sometimes get bad headaches, shake and then feel faint. Think it may be anxiety/stress related.
  • Options
    i'm not sure!

i'm still consious, and can sometimes communicate with other people whilst having them (not often) but i i can't control my shaking or my need to cry or scream, though i do try to just blink back the tears and stuff...

i'm still scared though, and i suppose considering i've never had a full on floor and unconsious thing, it's unlikely i'm suddenly going to have one
  • Options
    i had 3 quite violent "things". my hair is full of sticky stuff now...

wasn't nice, and i had horrible visions but they have been worse.

just have to wait 2 weeks for the results
  • Options
    Glad you survived! Hopefully a diagnosis will enable them to help you.