Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

how to...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
use sanitary towels...

really strange question here. I've not had periods for a long time due to being on the injection, and coming off it recently i've only just started back on having them. Now this is my second one, and whilst i obviously know how to use towels n tampons etc, i can't help thinking im doing something wrong!! if i'm not wearing a tampon, the blood doesn't just stay on the towel, it runs down to the back of my knickers, and ruins them!

admittedly i am sat down at a desk a lot, so it could be the angle at which i'm sat, but i am nearly 100% sure that this did not happen when i used to have periods! I can't remember though. My other option is wearing those night time ones...but surely it shouldn't be happening?? so confused.

Comments

• Options
    I always leak with sanitary towels as well - nightmare
  • Options
    Are you using the right strength (light/medium/heavy) for your flow and are you changing then often enough? (they are effective for a lot shorter time then a tampon) I used to change my towels every four hours rather then every six to eight when I used tampons. Sitting at odd angels can cause towels to leak, I used to have awful problems at night with mine sometimes.
  • Options
    Also, are you positioning it right?

When I use them I tend to find I need them quite a long way back. Middle of the towel over the middle of the gusset type thing (I think).
  • Options
    yeah i'm just not aware that i'm sitting at an odd angle, and yeah the pad was pretty much a new one that had the leakage...hmm.
  • Options
    Leaking back and front or just back?

I seem to need to have them positioned far further back than any instinct suggests.
  • Options
    i shall check it out next time i change one. i just think the leakage is WAY back for it to have a pad there to cover it...
  • Options
    use a longer one.
  • Options
    Can't think of a delicate way to put this, but it's worth remembering the blood comes from somewhere far closer to where you poo from than where you wee from.
  • Options
    I usually use night time ones even during day time they seem to stop the problems you're having.
  • Options
    one of the reasons why i use tampons all of the time apart from maybe when its nearly over.

i would also suggest the night time ones.

I always feel like my skin can't breathe when i use them and that they stick to my arse far too much for my liking.

i cant believe i just wrote that.....
  • Options
    If you wear underwear like cheeky underwear it can push the pad up your bum and then it can sorta leak out the side.