Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

iPhone???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im in the market for a new phone and the iphone is the only one out there thats caught my eye... BUT it is supposed to be missing;

MMS. Video recording. Custom ringtones. Mass storage. Fully functioning Bluetooth with stereo audio streaming. Voice dialing when you're using a car kit. Sending contact info to other people. Instant messenging. Sending an SMS to more than one recipient at a time, Limited to green speach bubbles on sms messages AND customising ringtones!

Now, i just wondered if anyone here has had an iPhone and if these things are indeed truly missing from it or have apple updated it since its initial release to include some of these basic features.

Also, what are users overall thoughts on ths phone???

Comments

• Options
    That link doesnt go to anything mate, just says its invalid!
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote: »
    That link doesnt go to anything mate, just says its invalid!

It was an ad for cheap iPods etc. I copied the ad 'cos I knew it would be deleted (spam) 'cos the town is near me so I thought I would go have a look to see if the place was genuine (info on the net appears to indicate it is). If you want it, I can PM you with it.
  • Options
    Be honest.
    Which of those features do you frikken well use anyway?
    I doubt you use many!
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    It was an ad for cheap iPods etc. I copied the ad 'cos I knew it would be deleted (spam) 'cos the town is near me so I thought I would go have a look to see if the place was genuine (info on the net appears to indicate it is). If you want it, I can PM you with it.

Erm ... don't bother. I went to the adress as per the advert this lunchtime and found an office for Births, Deaths and Marriages. :p
  • Options
    MMS, Custome Ringtones and Video recording are the only 3 of those missing i use frequently, but i gues custom ringtones isnt a huge loss and i heard apple are releaing updates to allow Video recording with the camera already anyways... So long as bluetooth works reasonably well, i think i will upgrade to the iPhone!
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Erm ... don't bother. I went to the adress as per the advert this lunchtime and found an office for Births, Deaths and Marriages. :p

:lol:
  • Options
    Your mad paying all that for a phone! It's only touch screen!

Saying that i'm getting the Ipod touch :)

But back to you, there is talk that T-mobile Germany have released the phone with a sim unlock says the BBC.
  • Options
    I've had one for a few months now, And whilst it's true that all those features are missing, The only ones i paticularly miss are Bluetooth A2DP streaming, and bluetooth file sending. but apple has commited to keep bringing out new features on the platform, so they should be included soon (especially as A2DP is now part of OS X Leopard)

It's just a waiting game really, but at the moment the phone suits me fine :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Bluetooth, i just realised thats something i do actually use and the rest i can do with out! oh well, if i can get a good deal i might go with it ;)
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote: »
    Bluetooth, i just realised thats something i do actually use and the rest i can do with out! oh well, if i can get a good deal i might go with it ;)

Yeah, the bluetooth is crippled. It really annoys me. The only profile it supports is the headset profile, so you can use the iPhone as a headset.

While I guess I can understand the need to disable the sending of music from the iTunes library, I don't get why A2DP streaming is disabled, and why you can't send camera pictures or recieve pictures :(. It annoys me.
  • Options
    noog wrote: »
    Yeah, the bluetooth is crippled. It really annoys me. The only profile it supports is the headset profile, so you can use the iPhone as a headset.

While I guess I can understand the need to disable the sending of music from the iTunes library, I don't get why A2DP streaming is disabled, and why you can't send camera pictures or recieve pictures :(. It annoys me.

I think in the design of the iPhone they wanted to keep it as simple as possible to preserve battery life. If you've seen jobs initial presentation on it (I have, I find the Apple saga fascinating) he says first it's at least 5 years more advanced than any other phone, then he says on a chart with ease of use and intelligence, something like this:

f2f.jpg

except he put smartphones right at the bottom, saying they were smart but hard to use (fair point), and normal phones at the left, with the iPhone in the toprightmost corner.

Apple are brilliant at hyping their products up and making people want one even if they're not any better, people 'trust' and 'like' the Apple brand. They understand it to mean quality, style, sophistication and simplicity. Jobs is right in his keynotes of 97 when he says Apple's most important asset is it's brand.

Which is interesting because doing a management course (which includes marketing) we look at how you can market a product and make it look exceptional even if it's just ordinary. I.e. 'innocent' fruit drinks. It's just the same as a normal fruit drink! Or at least an organic one. But create this persona around it being 'innocent', people associate it with things in their mind automatically.

Re: the iPhone - I think that like the iPod it will change the way people think of making phones, but also like the iPod the first (or all) versions will have bugs, issues and not be all they were cracked up to be. Apple will release a new model every year with improvements on the same basic design, since they identified I think it was in 98 or 97 that they had too many products. Keeping it simple was better for the consumer.

As a consumer then, at the end of the day it's whether you want to pay money for an iPhone, but be under no illusion that you're not paying for the brand :) because that's what makes Apple it's money.
  • Options
    There's supposed to be a new version of the iPhone coming out soon with 3G

http://www.tech.co.uk/gadgets/phones/mobile-phones/news/vodafone-to-sell-3g-iphone?articleid=231546040
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    Saying that i'm getting the Ipod touch :)

I'm going to get one aswell.

But to anyone getting any type of ipod i would wait for a few 'generations' (i think thats the word). Ipod always releases things and then rereleases them. For example, i have a original ipod which is scrambled, an ipod mini which battery is shite and i have umm i cant remember what theyre called, the smaller one than the mini and i bought that after they had made the changes to them (made them stronger so they dont snap) and i've already had it replaced from when i got it last christmas because it stopped working.

So yeah this is just from word of mouth but i wouldnt buy any ipod stuff straight away.

and in regards to the itouch i suggest you dont get one until they rerelease them with a longer battery and more GBs, i know i wont.
  • Options
    Have you jailbroke it yet :)
  • Options
    And just so you know - you can put custom ringtones on it *nods*

go read google.
  • Options
    I got a Sony Ericsson P1i. Not as pretty as the Iphone, but more features and still has handwriting recognition.
  • Options
    having to constantly clean the iPhone is... annoying :grump:
  • Options
    How soon after it came out did you get one otter?
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    having to constantly clean the iPhone is... annoying :grump:

A little bit, I keep mine on its own in a pocket and rub the screen from inside the pocket and then when i use it it's shiny :D.

Did you buy a UK version or get the US version?