Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Omg

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yesterday I had to see the psychiatrist again-am seeing her about once a month at present, and I get on well with her.
However yesterday I receieved their diagnosis of my condition for the 1st time...apparantly I have emotionally unstable personality disorder, with bouts of clinical depression.
This is the first time that has been told to me, yet my doctor, work doctor and my work place all know about it. How can that be true??
Im so upset to be labelled this way, no wonder work are making my life hell if they think I am crazy, like ignorant people will think about this diagnosis.
Sorry i dont know what else to say, guess this is mainly a rant, but am so upset about it-especially that I seem to be the last person told whats wrong with me.:crying:

Comments

• Options
    Know the feeling! I am going to see a new counsellor for the first time later on today. Really feel like a loon going even though I know I shouldn't and scared of what they will say or refer me to see someone else!
  • Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey Lankygirl,

I'm really sorry to hear you're feeling this way.

It's always an extremely difficult time when you receive your first diagnosis of a personality disorder. People often feel very alone with everyone making assumptions about them. You should remember that the people around you are there to help you, so speak to them about how you're feeling. If you don't fancy speaking to the people around you try giving Saneline a call on 0845 767 8000. Or Samaritans is available 24 hours a day on 08457 90 90 90. They can give you really good information and advice on your diagnosis.

Diagnosis of borderline personality disorders is very difficult because it involves making assumptions about what is normal or abnormal about your personality. Diagnosing personality disorders at a young age is even more difficult because your personality can change very quickly as you get older because you gain your own thoughts and perceptions.

There are a couple of really helpful articles on TheSite.org about personality disorders that you might want to check out. Have a look at the article on personality disorders and read about other people's experiences of living with a personality disorder.

Hope this helps and you feel better soon. :thumb:
  • Options
    What treatments work?
    Personality disorders are notoriously difficult to treat, and often end up being 'managed' in hospitals, prisons, or by health/social services in the community.

It is very unlikely that someone will be 'cured' of a personality disorder. However, there have been claims that long-term psychoanalysis has worked. Other forms of therapy such as group therapy, general support and supervision, and therapeutic communities have also been said to be helpful.

the above is a quote from TheSite, on the pages you told me to look at. I dont feel incredibly encouraged by this!
  • Options
    C Funk wrote: »
    read about other people's experiences of living with a personality disorder.

Not meaning to sound picky but I don't think that is an example of a personality disorder.
  • Options
    You might like to read Mind's leaflet, Understanding Personality Disorders: http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/Booklets/Understanding/Understanding+personality+disorders.htm
    It's got more useful and positive information than thesite's page on PD. I've been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, Paranoid Personality Disorder and recurrent chronic depression which I believe is fairly similar to your diagonosis (although I may be mistaken). Like you I felt that I was the last to hear of my diagonosis and infact I just read it on a letter sent to me as all the doctors who had been involved in my treatment assumed someone else had told me. I'm not sure if I have any useful advice or anything but if I think of something I'll let you know!

Take care :)
  • Options
    thank u hon, it is almost exactly the same diagnosis as u. its a comfort (obviously not for u, sorry) to have somone else that this has happened to
    xx