Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

grapefruit juice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(im not really sure if this should be in heath and fitness because its about food and weightloss)
i was once told that if you drink grapefruit juice with a meal its so acidic that it will burn the fat in your stomach. Does anybody use this technique, i tryed and realised i hate grapefruit juice.

on wikipedia it talks about the grapefruit diet but it seems dangerous http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit_diet

Comments

• Options
    I've heard that, supposedly it's the same with viniger. Not sure if it's 100% true though :confused:
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I've heard that, supposedly it's the same with viniger. Not sure if it's 100% true though :confused:

oh i would much rather grapefruit than glasses of vinegar!:eek:

sounds like it doesn't work at all then and sounds dangerous as it says there's an increase for cancer for women in that wikipedia article
  • Options
    No faddy diet works in the long term. The grapefruit diet was a load of bollocks in the 30s and still is now.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    oh and at the same time you'lll be corroding all your stomach lining (acidic build up) which will then result in holes and stomach ulcers (throwing up blood and incredibly painful)

This isn't entirely accurate. People with gastric ulcers normally produce the same amount of gastric acid as those who don't, acidic build up is commonly thought of as a cause for ulcers, but in most cases, it comes down to infection, which damages the mucosa, then the acid goes for it.
  • Options
    The fact that it needs its own warning on several medications is enough to put me off :p
  • Options
    grapefruit juice interferes with enzymes that metabolise certain drugs.
  • Options
    80% of gastric ulcers are caused by H. Pylori infection - the discovery of this won the 2005 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine - not that I have much interest in Nobel Laureates...