Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Acute HIV syndrome/ I'm a hyponchondriac

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I love the site. Ever since my early teens I have come to you guys for questions on those tricky topics. Well now I'm all grown up, but still have questions on those tricky topics.

This weekend I learned I have hypochondriac tendencies, and due to them, am still not fully convinced that I don't have HIV.
Six Weeks ago:
Got my wisdom teeth out.
Two weeks later, very drunk, kiss an unknown girl. Girl happens to suck so hard on my mouth (she was a leech) that she dislodged my blood clots. Being drunk, I went to the bathroom, spat out the blood, and realized that they weren't bleeding anymore, so I drunkenly assumed it was ok to continue. We went back to her place and continued. I fingered her and gave her oral VERY briefly (but with the open cuts in my mouth this is where I suspect possible infection). There was no sex. I don't know if she is HIV positive.

The next day I realized what an idiot I had been.

Last week:
I've been training for triathlons, and last week I was exercising 2+ hours a day on 5-7 hours of sleep. For the past 6 days I have been experiencing brutal dehydration during the night, a stiff/painful neck, enlarged lymph nodes, a bit of mucous in the throat, migraines, and fevers. I stopped exercising last Saturday (2 days after the beginning of the symptoms), and started worrying that these might be Acute HIV snydrome symptoms. I have since gotten better with only my painful neck and lymph nodes almost gone.

Unfortunately I have normal answers to all the symptoms, but most of the symptoms also match HIV. I understand my chance of catching HIV from the drunken hook-up is very low, but hey, I'm a hypochondriac, everything matches.

Explanations:
Dehydration/fatigue/migraines: Over-exercising, not enough sleep, body fighting a virus
Stiff/painful neck: The awkward position of riding a road bike and/or sleeping in a bad position
Fever/Lymph nodes: Caught a virus, probably due to pushing my body so hard.
I did not experience other hiv symptoms such as a sore throat or a rash, and my actual symptoms have almost all disappeared within a week

But when I read Acute HIV syndrome information, they always say "often mistaken for a regular virus" and that I won't test positive for antibodies for another 2-4 months. So here I am mr. worry wart, matching all my symptoms with Acute HIV syndrome symptoms, unable to get tested because the test won't be truly effective until 6 months after infection. I can't talk to any of my friends, because frankly, I don't consider any of them good friends enough to understand and help. I can't talk to my family because I don't want to put them through unnecessary hardship. So, I come you, as I have in the past, for your help.

Thanks a bunch,
Mr Anonymous.

Comments

• Options
    The only way you can be sure is if you get tested or mention the symptoms to your GP.
  • Options
    I love the site. Ever since my early teens I have come to you guys for questions on those tricky topics. Well now I'm all grown up, but still have questions on those tricky topics.

This weekend I learned I have hypochondriac tendencies, and due to them, am still not fully convinced that I don't have HIV.
    Six Weeks ago:
    Got my wisdom teeth out.
    Two weeks later, very drunk, kiss an unknown girl. Girl happens to suck so hard on my mouth (she was a leech) that she dislodged my blood clots. Being drunk, I went to the bathroom, spat out the blood, and realized that they weren't bleeding anymore, so I drunkenly assumed it was ok to continue. We went back to her place and continued. I fingered her and gave her oral VERY briefly (but with the open cuts in my mouth this is where I suspect possible infection). There was no sex. I don't know if she is HIV positive.

The next day I realized what an idiot I had been.

Last week:
    I've been training for triathlons, and last week I was exercising 2+ hours a day on 5-7 hours of sleep. For the past 6 days I have been experiencing brutal dehydration during the night, a stiff/painful neck, enlarged lymph nodes, a bit of mucous in the throat, migraines, and fevers. I stopped exercising last Saturday (2 days after the beginning of the symptoms), and started worrying that these might be Acute HIV snydrome symptoms. I have since gotten better with only my painful neck and lymph nodes almost gone.

Unfortunately I have normal answers to all the symptoms, but most of the symptoms also match HIV. I understand my chance of catching HIV from the drunken hook-up is very low, but hey, I'm a hypochondriac, everything matches.

Explanations:
    Dehydration/fatigue/migraines: Over-exercising, not enough sleep, body fighting a virus
    Stiff/painful neck: The awkward position of riding a road bike and/or sleeping in a bad position
    Fever/Lymph nodes: Caught a virus, probably due to pushing my body so hard.
    I did not experience other hiv symptoms such as a sore throat or a rash, and my actual symptoms have almost all disappeared within a week

But when I read Acute HIV syndrome information, they always say "often mistaken for a regular virus" and that I won't test positive for antibodies for another 2-4 months. So here I am mr. worry wart, matching all my symptoms with Acute HIV syndrome symptoms, unable to get tested because the test won't be truly effective until 6 months after infection. I can't talk to any of my friends, because frankly, I don't consider any of them good friends enough to understand and help. I can't talk to my family because I don't want to put them through unnecessary hardship. So, I come you, as I have in the past, for your help.

Thanks a bunch,
    Mr Anonymous.

1. I'd say you were overdoing it on the exercise with not enough rest.

2. Why the hell haven't you been to the doctors to chat with them if you're concerned - all we can give you is conjecture and guess work.

Blunt but honest.
  • Options
    I would say your anxiety and paranoia is more of a concern than any possible HIV infection and it may be worth seeing if your GP can refer you to a counselling service as it appears to be getting in the way of normal life for you.
  • Options
    Yes, you may have been unfortunate enough to catch HIV on this occasion but unless you have a blood test soon, you may not have any physical symptoms for a long time yet. Go to a GUM Clinic for an anonymous blood test.
  • Options
    Hey Mr Anonymous

Teagan's right, the only way to know for sure is to get tested. It's a scary thing to do, but it's worse not knowing and worrying.

If you've never been to a GUM clinic before and you're worried, check out this FAQ about what it's like:

http://www.thesite.org/sexandrelationships/safersex/sexualhealth/faqvisitingagumclinic

Also, if you don't know where your nearest clinic is, you can search here:

http://www.fpa.org.uk/finder/

Good luck
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    does it not have to be a certain amount of time after you think you have been infected? say 3 months, otherwise the results could still come back as negative?
  • Options
    What's 'acute HIV syndrome' ? New one on me, or is it the new name for sero-conversion ?

Yes Bunnie, you're advised to wait 3 months from the date of possible infection until you're tested as they test for the anti-bodies not the virus.

Some places do do a viral load test (where they actually look for the virus) for diagnosis but they're few and far between.
  • Options
    Well I tested positive for mononucleosis, which explains all the symptoms. And yeah, I can't get a worthwhile HIV test until 3-6 months after suspected infection. I still plan on getting one, but all the symptoms line up to a wonderful case of mono :yippe:
  • Options
    ah poor you. Hope it goes away soon