Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Having 'sleep' issues...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone constantly feel tired, regardless if you've had 4 hours or 10 hours sleep?

I just never feel satisfied after a sleep, and am constantly falling asleep in lectures etc.

I just always feel exhausted..but I struggle to drift off unless I get to the point of excessive tiredness, and then I have no choice but to fall asleep!!

I always feel like i've had a restless sleep. Lots of tossing and turning. It's not fun :(

Comments

• Options
    I went through a period of this for a few weeks about a year ago. I'd be getting about 9 hours sleep but would wake up feeling like I needed another 9 - not just first thing tiredness. It went eventually - but it might be worth going to the docs, they might do a blood test.
  • Options
    I tend to feel more tired if I use the snooze button on my alarm clock a lot, if I get up as soon as I wake up I feel much better. I also feel more tired if I have slept too much - I find 7 or 8 hours is fine for me.

Are you getting up at the same time each day, or does it vary?
  • Options
    Hey,
    Was just considering this, I'm not saying this is it, but could you have a touch of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)? http://www.thesite.org.uk/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/depression/feelingsad
    I'm only suggesting it because my grandad is a sufferer and he tends to feel like he doesn't get enough regardless of how long he kips and it sort of effects his total mood.
    Just a suggestion to read up on from that link
    :)
  • Options
    Any chance you might be slightly anaemic? Anaemia is an Iron deficiency and often makes people feel tired. Iron comes from red meat mainly, also in green leafy veg and some breakfast cereals. If you're a student with a less than ideal diet that could be one explanation.

Another thing is I actually find too much sleep makes me tired, I need a mix of sleep and decent exercise, if I'm not getting enough exercise I feel tired more than when I do.
  • Options
    i get that when im pregnant.

Has it always been like that for you or is it a new thing?
  • Options
    Have you tried caffeine? My first-year in college (last year) I found myself struggling to get through my lectures. I had never tried coffee before, so I started having half a cup on days where I knew I'd need it. I drank it on a "need" basis and I suddenly realized why 90%+ of the adult public drinks it. My grades skyrocketed because suddenly I could pay attention, study, and perform better on tests. I know I sound like a salesman for it, but seriously, when taken as needed, it can be very beneficial. Also, it causes you to be tired later in the day making it a bit easier to fall asleep.
  • Options
    I had that in September last year and I'm getting it again now. I'm constantly shattered to the point where I can barely get up if I have 9am lectures. It went away last time, but it's taking a while this time. I suffer really badly with insomnia though so it might have something to do with that.