Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

what am i mean to do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm really annoyed about all of this...

i've been having tics/shakes/episodes of violent shaking since i was 11 but over the last few months they have got a lot worse.

i went to the neurologist, and she basically said that even though i have the symptoms of a form of epilepsy, i don't have the history for it and thus she can't diagnose me.

but she didn't tell me what was wrong with me, infact she told me very little apart from that i needed to have a bloody test to see if i had a blood disorder that was causing it, and that she might ask me to come back for a seizure test but if i was to have an MRI i have to wait 6 months.

she did say that it was possibly psycosymatic, which i agreed it might be. But that doesn't make any less real. and it doesn't mean that i don't need treatment.

thus in the mean time, i am left continuing to have these scary "fits" where i have vivid flashbacks, and have horrible unassociated feelings completely overwhelm me.

what am i mean to do?

Comments

• Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey twisted trinity,

A lot of people experience ‘the shakes’ every now and then to some extent because of things such as excessive tiredness, stress or anxiety. You have done the right thing in going to see a neurologist, even though it hasn’t helped in making a quick diagnosis which must be frustrating.

Psychological factors play a big part in a lot of illnesses and can worsen the symptoms if not treated. Continue to regularly consult your GP and neurologist to keep them informed of your shaking. It might also be a good idea to keep a diary of when you experience shaking episodes. Keep track of what time of day you had it, what you were doing at the time, and the severity of the shaking. These factors could all help in diagnosing it.

There’s lots of really good information about shaking/tremors on the NHS direct website which you might find helpful. You could also check out some of the articles on TheSite.org. The ones on anxiety and stress might help.

Hope this helps :thumb:
  • Options
    It could well be the neurologist doesn't actually know from that one appointment what is wrong with you.

Many parts of medicine aren't an exact science, and unfortunately there aren't magic perfect instant diagnoses for everything.

It may also be if it's pschosymatic that there is no real 'treatment' for it.

Keeping a note of what happens and when (and any possibly associated factors) may be useful for when you next see someone.

It strikes me that what you describe at the start and the end of your post are two very different things. Initially you mention tics/tremours/shakes and then at the end you talk about flash backs and disassociated feelings. Are they one and the same events, or are we talking two different things? The flashbacks/feelings bit could well be nothing to do with the tremors and it's worth talking to someone about those independantly.
  • Options
    these are one and the same event...

but i got a call today saying that they now want me to come in for an MRI and a sezuire test...which makes me think that they do now think that i possibly have epilepsy...but the bloods came back ok...
  • Options
    Bloods came back as not showing a cause for the 'episodes'. Since the answer wasn't in the blood test they are now looking elsewhere for answers.

Take a step back and what they are doing doesn't seem quite so rubbish.
  • Options
    at least they are looking into it. Sometimes you can go to NHS with something and nothing seems to be done.
    good luck.
  • Options
    Aye, I think this is pretty good for the NHS.

A lot of symptoms fit with a lot of diagnoses, and unless you have something very specific to show them, they can't just pull something out of the hat the first time you see them.

Flashbacks, diassaociation and shaking are classic symptoms of anxiety, btw. I don't know if that's an avenue you might like to investigate.
  • Options
    it's not just shaking though, it does look like i'm having a fit...but i'll be standing or sitting down...and it's only the top half of my body...

anyway i suppose i shall just have to wait...