Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

hypochondriac question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can you be kind of lactose intolerant? I've noticed for the last several months that when I eat cream, half and half, anything above 2% milk or alot of cheese I get real sick to my tummy and feel like I need to throw up. However I can eat as much ice cream and yogurt and a fair amount of cheese with no problem. Creamless coffee is nasty but its getting real painful to drink so I thought I'd ask :p

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yep, you can, and a lot of people are.

I am. I can happily eat yoghurts and harder cheese, but too much milk, ice cream or softer cheese and it's poo central.

It's because the thing that makes you lactose intolerant is a lack of the enzyme lactase. You can make some lactase, but just not quite enough (like me!), or you can just fail to make any at all. There are all different degrees of it.

Just avoid what makes you ill. Or if you're like me and you can't, just make sure you eat it where you've easy access to the loo :p