Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Low fat/healthy treats

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can people please point in the direction of low fat or healthy treats as this is my biggest weak point. I've a severe sweet-tooth and I love snacking, and this is piling my lbs on.

I know it's silly to start dieting near christmas, but I might as well start somewhere..

Would really appreciate it, anything yummy or sweet but isn't as full fat as blueberry muffins or McCoys crisps!!

Am considering booking an appointment to see a dietician cos I seriously cannot do this alone :(

Comments

• Options
    Garfield once said, "Diet is just the word die, without a T" ;)

Do you mind me asking what you eat in an average day? Not going to pick you apart, but I found when I snacked a lot and craved sugary foods, it was because I wasn't eating enough (and not enough protein either), so as soon as I had something sugary, I'd start slumping soon after then I'd want something else to eat as I felt hungry again. Tapping into how your body reacts to things is pretty important.

The good thing is that there are loads of healthy snack stuffs at your disposal, and you can have the occassional sweet thing. Don't get too obsessed about low fat, or fat-free foods - often they have a lot of hidden sugar.

I normally snack on things like hummous and ryevita, or have peanut butter on brown toast (if you like nuts, you can buy different kinds of nut butters, almond nut butter is lovely and sweet). I sometimes make homemade granola, and that's really nice on its own as a snack, or with some yogurt. Things like cashew nuts and brazil nuts are pretty good too and keep your energy up. Fruit in yogurt is nice too, the activia range is very creamy and sweet enough, but not too sweet.

How much weight are you looking to lose? A 65kg adult can make healthy losses at around 1lb a week, but don't obsess too much with scales and things as initially, a lot of weight loss comes down to water.

Are you exercising?
  • Options
    Fresh fruit.

Sweet but much better for you.

The other thing I'm really careful about is how much junky snacky foods I buy. By not buying them it makes it a lot harder to snack on them. Multi packs are actually evil things I my life.
  • Options
    I always thought the 100 calorie packs seemed like a nice idea (if you can eat just one ;)) Its a small portion and you still get that snack you crave. When I was doing that watching what I eat/healthy thing, I found that if I didn't give into a craving, it would only manifest itself and soon instead of a handfull of crisps, I'd have to eat the whole bag :p
  • Options
    fresh fruit - lots of it.
    Celery sticks, carrot sticks, ham, low fat cottage cheese, low fat hummous
  • Options
    Caramel Snack A Jacks are great if you've got a sweet craving.
    Options 30calorie hot chocolate drinks.
    Grapes
    Skinny cow ice creams(get the ones on sticks as opposed to in a tub)
    Solero ice lollies (99kcal)
    Cereal bars
    Walkers Baked crisps.
    Snack A Jacks popcorn.
    Mini packets of Haribo

Or of course fresh fruit and veg, theyre just ideas to beat sweet cravings.
  • Options
    If you freeze grapes theyre nice like a frozen candy.
  • Options
    I snack on dried fruit at work, really helps my sweet tooth and means I get plently of fruit in my diet because I'm pretty crap at getting my five-a-day.
  • Options
    i love dried fruit but it doesnt half make me fart!!!
  • Options
    i love dried fruit but it doesnt half make me fart!!!

:lol: Me too.
  • Options
    I have a massive sweet tooth as well (especially when coming up to my period). Jaffa cakes are cool if you have like 2. Jelly is good as well (add 2 packs to make it sweeter) or little penny sweets. Raisins are swwet too and usually curb my sweet tooth.
  • Options
    Porridge with honey, home made smoothies, natural yoghurt with muesilli and dried fruit, options hot choc....
  • Options
    Thanks guys...I'm finding gherkins my main snack atm! :D