Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tattoos

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey all:wave:
my parents are really opposed to tattoos but i love em, I'm leaving home in a couple of years and they've said that if I get any tattoos then they'll disown me!

The thing that p***** me off about it is my sisters got about 5 tattoos and my parents know about it! is this them just being protective or them just being arseholes?
let me know your opinon and if you have any ideas for tattoos let me know!

Comments

• Options
    They're probably frightening you into not getting them and then will forgive you if you get one done.

Lol start small to ease them into it i guess, its your body so they shouldnt disown you over it!!
  • Options
    i love tattoos.

im about to get my fourth!
  • Options
    yeah!
    I'm designing my own tattoos now!
    I'm getting this one at the base of my neck first!
  • Options
    I think they are just being protective... they might have even said the same thing to your sister... just make sure if you do get one get one that means something to you and its not just anything to spite them...
  • Options
    I'd probably go for somewhere a lot less conspicuous than a neck for a first tattoo.
  • Options
    fair enough!

Where should i get my first one though!
    :chin: :confused:
  • Options
    If you care that much about what other people think of where you are going to get it, you probably shouldn't have one. Getting a tattoo shouldn't be a form of rebellion against your parents, or because your sister has one, or because people will think it 'looks cool'. It's going to be there until you die. Or certainly until you save up CONSIDERABLY more than it cost to get it done to get it removed.
  • Options
    why don't you ask your sister what they said to her about tattoos? at least if they object, you can say "well, what about x,y, & z"
  • Options
    Getting a tattoo shouldn't be a form of rebellion against your parents,

Number 1: I've wanted one for me for ages and I honestly don't care that my parents disargee, so its not being a rebel:no:

Number 2: okay so theres not a number 2
    lol!
  • Options
    yeah, the only problem is that my sisters in canada till christmas and i'll need to show her my designs! lol!

how old do you ahve to be till you can get one in the uk?
  • Options
    The legal age limit for tattoos is 18. How old are you?
  • Options
    i'm 15, so i got 3 more years to wait! might change my mind by then!
    Don't you have to be 16 to get an adults consent to get a tattoo though! it it is my sister will give me permission!:yippe:
  • Options
    curly_boy wrote: »
    i'm 15, so i got 3 more years to wait! might change my mind by then!
    Don't you have to be 16 to get an adults consent to get a tattoo though! it it is my sister will give me permission!:yippe:

Its 18 for tattoos, some paces will do it underage but they are breaking the law if they do. Most places wont do pericing under the age of 16 any more either (with or without parental consent)
  • Options
    Frankly I'm glad my folks didn't let me get any tattoos when I was younger. I had some real bad ink ideas that would have looked terrible. If I ever have kids they'll wait untill they're 18 too.:cool:
  • Options
    I doubt they would disown you over a tattoo especially if your sister already has some. They are probably just trying to scare you and make you realise that it's a permanent thing.

I recently got a tattoo which I love !! But my dad really hates them and so does my Grandad and he actually got quite upset about it (caused a bit of an up roar over a sunday lunch) so different people have different reactions. My mum was fine about it. At the end of the day it's your body so it's up to you. I expect they just don't want you to make a big mistake like in the heat of the moment get some thing like, 'I HEART LINDA' or a big eagle on your forehead.
  • Options
    Id wait till youre 18 tbh, because you should give yourself as much time as possible to decide on the absolute perfect design. Once you think youve found it, wait even longer to see if you still want it a few months/a year down the line. This has got to be on your body forever so theres no hurry. Its not that easy to get them removed later or even covered up so make sure its something you really want, and yes you have to be over 18 or if youre younger, your parents could complain and get the tattoo shop shut down, and that would be really aresholey of you to put them in that position.
    I really like tattoos, but ive met too many people who regret their early tattoos that they did without giving it enough thought, or ones they did that were trendy at the time, but look dated later.
  • Options
    If you're worried so much about your skinjobs, just do something they won't see. I got a big one on my back the second I turned 18, but no one can see it unless I strip my upper body. haven't regret it either, just make sure you get a design that expresses you
  • Options
    I like tattoos but popular styles go out of fashion so quickly. The ubiquitous swirly Celtic stuff etc that was so popular a few years back, is everywhere now.

All those wearers who thought they were making a statement of their 'individuality", are now part of one big group themselves. :grump:

I would wait until you turn 20 at least before having something permanently etched on your skin which may well become uncool and boring in the years to come.

And don't have a swallow on your neck ... :p
  • Options
    next year everyone will be regretting having stars on their feet/wrists.

I just remember in the 90s it was the in thing to have a yinyang/ sun design on the upper arm. God that looks dated now, then the celtic band on the top of the arm
  • Options
    I want a ladybird on the underneath of my big toe, so only I (or anyone looking at my feet!) would be able to see it. Plus it would be tiny.
  • Options
    If you care that much about what other people think of where you are going to get it, you probably shouldn't have one. Getting a tattoo shouldn't be a form of rebellion against your parents, or because your sister has one, or because people will think it 'looks cool'. It's going to be there until you die. Or certainly until you save up CONSIDERABLY more than it cost to get it done to get it removed.
    Word :yes:
  • Options

I just remember in the 90s it was the in thing to have a yinyang/ sun design on the upper arm. God that looks dated now, then the celtic band on the top of the arm
    I know someone who has a star on the back of their thumb, and a cluster on their foot - they had it done literally after having a quick brainstorm. Not my kinda thing.

Oh and an ex guy mate of mine has a huge yin yang on his shoulder, it's truly terrible... hehe.
  • Options

Very true, some tattos designs are dated/do date very quickly.

Thats why mine are going to be very well hidden for day-to-day purposes and self-designed/inspired.