Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.

Chickenpox vaccine?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
Support for chickenpox vaccinations in children Source: Booby.

"Vaccinating all children is the only way to prevent severe illness and death from chickenpox, researchers have said. "

"In one 13-month period in the UK and Irish Republic, there were six deaths and 112 cases of severe complications among children, they said."

Would you opt to have your child vaccinated against chickenpox? At this point, I don't think I would as the risk of complications are very rare, and I don't know what the risks vs benefits of the vaccination are.

I also agree with what Nigel Scott said:
"If we had to choose between the two, we would advocate vaccinating the elderly, as shingles is far more likely to cause serious health problems in many more people than is chickenpox in the young.

"Any benefits to children from a chickenpox vaccine would have to be offset against any potential increase in adult chickenpox and shingles in the elderly.

"The effect on the whole population needs to be considered, not just one age group."

Thoughts?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Am I right in thinking that you (normally, saying this I think I had it 3 times in as many months) only get chickenpox once? If so is it worth vaccinating against it? I agree with the vacinnating the elderly though, shingles can be very harmful to them.

ps I don't know much about it...
    go_away wrote: »

"Vaccinating all children is the only way to prevent severe illness and death from chickenpox, researchers have said. "

"In one 13-month period in the UK and Irish Republic, there were six deaths and 112 cases of severe complications among children, they said."

Would you opt to have your child vaccinated against chickenpox? At this point, I don't think I would as the risk of complications are very rare, and I don't know what the risks vs benefits of the vaccination are.

Thoughts?

Considering that over 400,000 children contract it each year, only 6 dying is very low. It's very tragic but I don't see what possible difference a vaccine would make. Chicken pox is one of those childhood diseases which is part of growing up. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger as the saying goes.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Considering that over 400,000 children contract it each year, only 6 dying is very low. It's very tragic but I don't see what possible difference a vaccine would make. Chicken pox is one of those childhood diseases which is part of growing up. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger as the saying goes.

exactly. most children get it, and for most children theyre less ill than with the common cold. You can get complications from anything. Now the pharmaceutical companies have the chance to make big bucks from this vaccine we're all gonna hear about what a killer chickenpox is, and since it actually isnt, it just makes the message about other immunisations less strong
    I think it could possibly be worth vaccinating teenagers if they havent already had the disease as a child though, as in adults it tends to be more severe.
    Waste of time and money.
    I think it could possibly be worth vaccinating teenagers if they havent already had the disease as a child though, as in adults it tends to be more severe.

That makes to sense to me because me and my brother caught it from my aunt who was in her 20's at the time.

I dont personally see how it worth it. Yes there are risks and it can rarely cause deaths, but its not worth vaccinating against.
    Lots of people saying they dont see the point in vaccinating although they also admit it can cause illness and even death - albeit at low numbers. If there is no real downside to vaccinating is it not worth it to prevent the low numbers of deaths and complications associated with chicken pox/shingles?

Most people get chicken pox when theyre young, they go through the illness with no complications. Once you have had chicken pox the virus stays with you, suppressed by your immune system. The virus can sometimes be 'reactivated' leading to shingles, which manifests in a different way to chicken pox.

I think it may well be worth it myself.

Also they already vaccinate against it in the states and I have a suspicion that it may end up the UK follows them.
    There is a downside I think, in that vaccination usually doesnt confer as complete or longlasting immunity as actually catching the illness, so with an illness like Cpox, where it is mild in children, yet serious in adults, then its best to let them actually catch it as children and get lifelong immunity, rather than immunise and then it wear off by the time youre an adult and then you run the risk of getting it again but badly or shingles.
    I think in that artical they were acutally just suggesting it as being a good idea for people who hadnt already caught it as a child.
    They originally touted it for children, but i think they were readjusting the idea to adults who hadn't had it as children. I think i read somewhere that cases of shingles were much increased in the countries where vaccination was occurring at a young age - and shingles is much nastier than chicken pox!

For every one of the families of the 6 children that died due to chicken pox, it's obviously a tragedy - but I'm not sure it's worth expending a lot of money on a vaccine for something that only builds our immune systems. And i suspect that there would be complications due to the vaccine in some people as well - there usually are.

My mum sent us round to a friends' to get chicken pox when I was about 7. It sort of backfired on her as she ended up getting it and was much iller than either me or my sister!
    People do still have chickenpox parties. I think it's older people they are more concerned about as it can be more harmful for the elderly. I have reservations about multi-vaccines to be honest. I guess I am still part of the school of thought which believes rolling about in chicken shit and other germs builds up your immune system.

:crazyeyes :eek:
    go_away wrote: »

Thoughts?
    you truly have face reality with so much money ,going to research for this or that.it comes down to do i have the right docter if yes,then good. but if not,hello trobble
    Dude. Post. Dead.