Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Headache following Head Injury

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I managed to wallop my head, standing up under an open window and slamming head into the bottom of the frame, on Tuesday night.

Saw both the college nurse, and then a doctor the following day who did what seemed to be fairly thorough assessments and agreed that I had indeed hit it rather hard and was probably concussed.

I still have a headache, pretty much permanantly have had one since I did it on Tuesday night.

Was wondering from anyone else who's had concussion, how long the headache went on for?

If it's not cleared by Monday I'm going back to the doctors, the said it might take a few days but it's starting to annoy me.

Comments

• Options
    I had severe concussion last year as a passenger in a car accident, and I had what felt like a migraine for the best part of a week.
  • Options
    I've had concussion, which did feel more like migraine. Only lasted for 12 hours or so, but I didn't do anything that serious.
  • Options
    After getting jumped as a teenager I had a pretty bad head for about a week, but then again I don't think I was really resting up enough, and given the brusing and swelling just put the pain down to that. According to netdoctor some side effects can persist especially if you don't rest - so sounds like you're probably right to take it easy and see the doctor again just to make sure.

Obviously isn't easy to rest up if you're stressing about the pain.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    take some painkillers and perhaps call NHS direct if you are in a lot of pain.

It has always been drummed into me not to take wallops to the head lightly!

Get well soon though love! :)

And Jim, seriously cannot imagine anyone attempting to jump you! I certainly wouldnt try it! :nervous:
  • Options
    I had a headache for a good couple of weeks, but it was just normal headache kind of pain - nothing crippling, just annoying.

But heads are important, so if you're worried by it, it's best to check it out rather than assume it's normal :)
  • Options
    Yeah, I've had it well checked etc and will be going back. Apart from anything else I need the medical notes in case it affects my uni work! Not the best reason for seeing the doctor but does at least mean I go.

If I was concerned about it I'd go and see someone rather than pratting about with NHS Direct, they are good for somethings but I wouldn't risk a head injury with them.

I'm liking the week or so answers, gives me hope it will be gone soon. The best I got off the doctor when I last saw her was it could last 'a while'.

Cheers guys.