Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.

De Menezes: police guilty

London's police force has been found guilty of breaking health and safety laws over the shooting dead of innocent Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes.
The Metropolitan Police unnecessarily put the public at risk in chasing a suspected suicide bomber across the city, an Old Bailey jury decided.

Armed police shot Mr de Menezes seven times in Stockwell Underground station on 22 July 2005.

The Met faces a potentially unlimited fine over the botched operation.

The unprecedented, highly controversial trial came after prosecutors said that no individual officer could be held responsible for the electrician's death.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7069796.stm

Even though is of little consolation and that no individual has or will be punished in any way, a small vindication for De Menezes' family.

Will this finally make "Sir" Ian Blair resign? I suspect not... :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm deeply unimpressed by this nonsense, to be honest. It's pathetic - the police end up killing an innocent man, and they've got away with it. The officers who shot him haven't been sacked - indeed, since the massive cock-up back in July 2005, half of them seem to have been promoted! God knows what you'd have to do to get demoted in Ian Blair's police force.

As for his resignation, that should have been provided years ago. The man is a total disgrace. The fact that London - the capital city of the United Kingdom - has such an idiot in charge of its police force is an embarrassment. He should be forced to quit and denied any kind of bonus or pension for being such a dismal failure.
    Do any of you know more of the circumstances?

As far as I'm aware it's unclear whether the officers were just randomly chasing and shooting someone, or whether it was a planned operation on a suspect that really misjudged and/or fucked up. In which case the guy in charge should get in trouble, but the police 'service' is there to be accountable, it shouldn't make individuals liable for mistakes unless a series of serious errors were made by that individual.

For example, take the private sector:

A guy works in a bank and messes up a transaction costing the bank / the bank's customer £500,000. I don't believe he should be personally liable as the bank has liability insurance, and it's a limited company so it's the 'companys' fault. Yes, he should be disciplined / or sacked, but again it depends on the circumstances - if he was following his job duties and it was the banks operational structure that caused the problem - it all becomes internalised. I suspect (although the need for public justice is sometimes the most important thing), that the police would prefer to have a judgement levied against the police service, and then internally could privately deal with those responsible. Especially considering it's excetional circumstances they work in and Joe Bloggs may not understand the intracacies of operations and the judgements that have to be made.

But again, as far as I'm aware there's not much info been released other than an unmarked PC shot Mr Menezes several times in the head with an automatic weapon. Until we know why (and I suspect, we never will, because I think there's a balance of public scrutiny and internal review, and none of us are police officers so can't understand it properly), then it's hard to make a judgement on who messed up where.
    Right from the start I said it was unfair to blame the actual shooters, they were told he was the man and they were told to shoot - if that is the call they are given then they should do it.

The people who should be in the dock are the organisers, the people who were between the surveillance team and the shooters - its their fault. Though the officer who identified him because he had 'Mongolian eyes' deserves to be sacked as well.

This step by step guide is worth going through;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/7073125.stm
    From watching the step by step it's easy to see why individual officers weren't charged. They were given garbled and incomplete information, and I suspect the few seconds on the train would have been quite frantic, with the officers having been told (incorrectly) that JCDM is a terrorist, for him to start approaching them could easily lead to the end result.

As for the instructions, whomever passed on the duff info/instructions deserves to be held accountable.
    That's pretty intense watching that step by step guide.

Yea I agree the main gist:

- originally surveillance said he 'might' be the suspect
    - firearms officer says he's not
    - guy in charge asks whats the percentage chance of it being the suspect
    - panics and shouts at firearms team to intercept
    - De Menezes gets on tube
    - guy in charge calls a code red or some sort
    - firearms officers enter tube
    - surveillance officer points out De Menezes
    - firearms officers shoot him dead

All does seem to lack coordination, they pointed him out as a possible suspect (because of his ethnic profile, it seems) and then the guys in charge made decisions that since he was getting on the tube, it must have been him or something.
    Ok, the story has been updated:

It was fined £175,000 with £385,000 costs over the 22 July 2005 shooting.

The Old Bailey jury said police chief Cressida Dick, who led the operation, bore "no personal culpability".

Despite calls for his resignation, Met Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair said outside court that he was not resigning.
    Ian Blair will never resign, even though he's already lost the faith of most rank-and-file bobbies in London.

The officers who shot De Menezes shouldn't have been charged, I actually feel very sorry for them. They thought they were risking their lives in a big way to save others, and then it turns out that he was innocent and everyone hates them for it.

The senior officers should be held personally culpable, and that should have included Commander Dick. It certainly should have included other senior staff, who have been implicated in other police cover-ups and firearms negligence.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    That's pretty intense watching that step by step guide.

Yea I agree the main gist:

- originally surveillance said he 'might' be the suspect
    - firearms officer says he's not
    - guy in charge asks whats the percentage chance of it being the suspect
    - panics and shouts at firearms team to intercept
    - De Menezes gets on tube
    - guy in charge calls a code red or some sort
    - firearms officers enter tube
    - surveillance officer points out De Menezes
    - firearms officers shoot him dead

All does seem to lack coordination, they pointed him out as a possible suspect (because of his ethnic profile, it seems) and then the guys in charge made decisions that since he was getting on the tube, it must have been him or something.

the guy who shot him almost shot another plain clothed police officer who was in the unarmed dept of the met who was following him, as well as almost shooting the driver :|

it's a case of the left hand not knowing what the right in regards to departments was doing whilst at the same time being complete idiots about things, the guy in charge was of watching the general flats was taking a pee at the time so no fault there really, they only decided to follow Jean Charles because he lived in the same blocks and looked 'foreign'

if he was a suspected bomber, why didn't they stop him before he even got onto a bus, but instead allow him to travel all the way to a tube station, and then kill him once he had boarded :confused: it's just sheer incompetance overall
    It was a failure of command, control and communications.

The Met police just didn't have the system in place to deal with a fast moving situation. Senior police, such as Blair, should bear responsibility for that system not being in place, but whether that responsibility is so negligent so as to warrant prosecution I think not.
    did any1 watch the step by step fing on channel 4?fair enough the cops who got the orders to shoot JCDM were only acting on orders from above but it was a catalogue of errors from the word go.but they didnt need to shoot him how many times in the head(7.8? 10)watching the step by step to what happined was f uck ing shocking,how many opertunities did they have to stop him?if they really thou he was a suicide bomber why let him board a bus(in fact wasnt it 2 busses) and why let him on the tube.
    anyways how ian blair hasnt resigned i dont know,he should be sacked.
    cassidy04 wrote: »
    did any1 watch the step by step fing on channel 4?fair enough the cops who got the orders to shoot JCDM were only acting on orders from above but it was a catalogue of errors from the word go.but they didnt need to shoot him how many times in the head(7.8? 10)

If you're an armed cop and you're confronted by someone who you believe has the potential to kill you and a lot of other people simply be pressing a button, one shot in the chest or the arm simply won't cut it. Police marksmen are trained to shoot to kill. In cases like this that death clearly has to be hurried along.
    Remember at the time, the armed cops were told that this guy was a suicide bomber, hence the apparent overkill.
    watching the step by step to what happined was f uck ing shocking,how many opertunities did they have to stop him?if they really thou he was a suicide bomber why let him board a bus(in fact wasnt it 2 busses) and why let him on the tube.
    anyways how ian blair hasnt resigned i dont know,he should be sacked.

As for why they let him get on the tube e.t.c. they had to be sure I guess and they would have also needed a confined space in order to incapacitate him.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    If you're an armed cop and you're confronted by someone who you believe has the potential to kill you and a lot of other people simply be pressing a button, one shot in the chest or the arm simply won't cut it. Police marksmen are trained to shoot to kill. In cases like this that death clearly has to be hurried along.
    Remember at the time, the armed cops were told that this guy was a suicide bomber, hence the apparent overkill.

As for why they let him get on the tube e.t.c. they had to be sure I guess and they would have also needed a confined space in order to incapacitate him.

that's called an alley way there enough of those in south london, and if they had to be sure why not just stop him before he even got on a bus?
    ShyBoy wrote: »

It was fined £175,000 with £385,000 costs over the 22 July 2005 shooting.

That information explains to me why this case was brought.

Qui bono ?

The lawyers and their hangers on.

That £550,000 tab will probably be picked up by the council tax payers in London.

Nice work if you can get it.
    The 'key findings' page on the BBC provided quite a nice overview of the reasons that led to the prosecution - or at least a nice outline of it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7073286.stm
    I have failed to see from the start why the Police seem to think they are a special case - if any company through their mismanagement endangers the public (and the Police clearly did that) they will be fined.
    budda wrote: »
    I have failed to see from the start why the Police seem to think they are a special case - if any company through their mismanagement endangers the public (and the Police clearly did that) they will be fined.

I think the argument is basically that fast moving situations where the overall aim is to protect the public is not the same as making sure that your machines have safety switches if someone gets their hand in them.

I'm not sure I'd agree with the argument, tbh. The police should have in place control systems to make sure that they have the potential to keep control (but bearing mind, no system is perfect and decisons which have to be made swiftly with imperfect information may be wrong).

The police in this case failed to have these systems. the control room was overcrowded and noisy (and many of the people didn't need to be in their), communications were unclear and the line of accountability was blurred.
    budda wrote: »
    Absolutely right. On top of that, the company would be investigated by the police and possibly a government watchdog, if that applied. Oh, and the shareholders of this company would, of course, be demanding the chief executive's resignation.

But of course, this is the public sector, where such rules never seem to apply. Whether it be ministers, NHS chief executives, or cops, no one ever takes the blame for anything. The people at the top (who seem to have forgotten they are there to serve the public, not themselves) always pass on the buck to some fall guy. I just wonder who, in this case, will have to fall on their sword to satisfy Ian Blair's thirst to remain in office, despite being totally discredited.
    the bottom line is the police were wrong in so many ways and it caused sumones death,they should have admitted there mistakes instead of trying to lie there way outta it,just the fact that nobody is taking any kinda responsibility for all the errors that were made is totally wrong,from the beggining the police or whovea have lied and lied to try and reflect the blame from themselves.remember whateva the police thou he was they were wrong,the guy was totally innocent.its bull shi t to say they had to try and contain him in a safe way,cause they had many oppurtunities to detain him even before he got anywhere near the subway.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Absolutely right. On top of that, the company would be investigated by the police and possibly a government watchdog, if that applied.

Just to note, the police were investigated on this issue by the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/news/pr011107_stockwell.htm
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    Just to note, the police were investigated on this issue by the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
    Correct, although nothing else seems to have happened. The Met has been fined a six-figure sum. I wonder who's going to have to foot his bill... ah yes, it'll be taxpayers as ever. Meantime, Ian Blair remains in office, collecting a salary which probably comes up to six figures in itself, the officers who made these massive blunders are all in their jobs, and half of them seem to have been promoted. Talk about rewarding failure....
    SG; Frankly I think you are over egging the fact that its public sector, people die at work all the time and CEO's dont go anywhere. Though of course the idea of a fine is somewhat strange - perhaps it can be taken from the hospitality budget?
    I think in these kind of cases it shouldn't be about finding somebody to blame and execute but rather figure out where exactly things went wrong and instead focus on fixing that.