Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

OiNK

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Oh dear...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tees/7057812.stm

Think many of the big trackers are going to follow?
Demonoid was down recently too.

Comments

• Options
    ouch.

the one im a member on is still functioning at the moment, dont know for how longer, never used OiNK but i know its not one of the biggest.

shame.
  • Options
    not one of the biggest?

it was enormous.
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    not one of the biggest?

it was enormous.

Yeah, I agree.

The thing I liked about OiNK was the amount of new music I found which I never would have heard if it wasn't for that site.

Plus the download speeds were really good.
  • Options
    Thats good, Ive only just learnt about a good site, now its been shut down :thumb:
  • Options
    pointless, they can shut em down all they want it'll just force them to host the servers in some offshore 3rd world country that couldnt give a flying fuck about internet copyright laws :chin:
  • Options
    Bigger factor at the moment is the demonoid/isohunt decision to block US and Canadian traffic due to legal moves. That sets an interesting precedent whereas this is just what happens every now and again. Years of investigation gives plenty of time for another site to spring up
  • Options
    TV Links has gone as well...
  • Options
    if any of you use members only torrent sites at the moment i suggest you check out getting something like peerguardian2

its free, scans for dodgy peers and blocks them.

just a bit of advice.

the major one i use is likely to be targetted at some point as there are thousands of members, mostly who pay (not me), im not even in the top 10% of downloads/uploads and i have done hundreds of gigs. scary really.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »
    TV Links has gone as well...
    I know :(:(
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Bigger factor at the moment is the demonoid/isohunt decision to block US and Canadian traffic due to legal moves. That sets an interesting precedent whereas this is just what happens every now and again. Years of investigation gives plenty of time for another site to spring up
    Demonoid are stating on the website it is only canadian tarific they are blocking, but surely using a program like JAP will get around the "having" a canadian IP address? I use JAP at home on my pc's for "protection" I believe (if i understand it rightly, it works well to stop people finding your location out)

http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html - seems good to me ;)

I love websites like Demonoid or Piratebay, specially how piratebay have a habit of posting there legal threats, always worth a giggle, i cant see these two sites going down soon, however countries might follow suit with canada and be forced to block traffic to them
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Demonoid are stating on the website it is only canadian tarific they are blocking, but surely using a program like JAP will get around the "having" a canadian IP address? I use JAP at home on my pc's for "protection" I believe (if i understand it rightly, it works well to stop people finding your location out)

http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html - seems good to me ;)

I love websites like Demonoid or Piratebay, specially how piratebay have a habit of posting there legal threats, always worth a giggle, i cant see these two sites going down soon, however countries might follow suit with canada and be forced to block traffic to them

So you use an application that you don't really know what it does and you hope blocks your location.. :rolleyes:

I don't use any of these other sites anyway, I've been quite well connected to some high end warez dumps and cracking groups so I just get what I need from there and the newsgroups.. always get 7mb/sec as well.
  • Options
    no, it routes your net through a sever where thousands of people use so you cannot identify which is yours or which is someone elses ;)
  • Options
    I don't use any of these other sites anyway, I've been quite well connected to some high end warez dumps and cracking groups so I just get what I need from there and the newsgroups.. always get 7mb/sec as well.

dont use torrents myself but used to have access to some great warez dumps a few years back

beats the lot by far! :thumb:
  • Options
    So you use an application that you don't really know what it does and you hope blocks your location.. :rolleyes:

I have heard newsgroups are much better... I just cant get my head round it lol
    Although admittedly I haven't really looked in to it much.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    no, it routes your net through a sever where thousands of people use so you cannot identify which is yours or which is someone elses ;)

You know that these IP masking / cloaking programs are absolute bollocks don't you? The paid for ones being the worst of the lot.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote: »
    if any of you use members only torrent sites at the moment i suggest you check out getting something like peerguardian2

I would also recommend peerguardian although mine often seems to hae trouble getting updated IP Addresses - says error contacting ...

This link tell you what it does

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PeerGuardian

Really worth installing for extra protection from all sorts of things.

Pg2.png
  • Options
    God bless piratebay, they're bringing OiNK back as BOiNK

:D

Pirates 1 - 0 Police

:D:D
  • Options
    Hmm - didn't realise that tv-links was down - seems an extreme reaction and brings up some very interesting legal issues.

For example, presumably under the same reading of the law everytime someone links to youtube without direct permission of the original creator of a video we're breaking the law as well...
  • Options
    then link to the search page showing the result(s)

oh and.. TPB bring back oink, all well and good but there turning it into a public tracker, Now, I agree the internet is for all and free but you get some horrible leachers on the public trackers out there, do you really need anotherone, I do hope they keep oink members only/private