Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Healthy Eating...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so I did a search for this kind of stuff on Google, found mostly diets but nothing really beyond that. I was just wondering if anyone on here could give me any good advice towards a more healthy diet.

I've decided enough is enough, and that I want to live a more healthy lifestyle. I've had weights for years but never really touched them, there's one of those walker machines in the house too, and a running machine rusting away in the garage. So it's time they all get used I think.

Of course I understand that all that exercise is pointless if I don't have the diet to go along with it, so any help would be appreciated.

I'll be honest, my main weakness is snacking and fizzy juice. That and I really could eat more fruit and veg.

Comments

• Options
    wholegrains, fish, fruit and veg, dark chololate, fry with oilive oil and try to eat less meat.
  • Options
    Buy low sugar yoghurts to eat when you crave something to snack on. When you eat dairy foods it's also good to have some kind of fruit with it.

Another thing is to increase the protein consumption for breakfast or lunch as protein keeps you satiated longer than other foods and thus should help prevent cravings longer.

Then I'd definitely recommend increasing the veg intake considerably with your dinner and even have a bit with your lunch. Create tasty salads and find ways to actually enjoy it.

Then if you're aiming to lose some weight, figure out how to decrease your portion sizes. Eat less meat and rather up the veg if you think you need more substance. In general I've found that the higher the veg ratio in my meals was the better I felt after it.

I don't know if you're mainly just looking to eat healthier or if you're also wanting to drop weight. If it's the latter the main factor is decreasing calorie intake, and there's no need to get on some nazi diets or start counting what you consume like mad. You don't even need to be hungry at any point of the day.
    Regardless of your goal, I however recommend cutting out as much sugar as possible and trying to avoid overproduced foods wherever you can. It's just fine in moderation but if you can replace it with something else, do it!

I drastically improved my diet this summer and focused on veg, fruit and fish but was also eating meat, dairy, bread and oils pretty much daily. With the increase in veg and cutting out sugar I felt really good in general whilst shedding extra weight. No heavy digesting, I was never really hungry and enjoyed my food a lot more than previously. It doesn't need to take up much more of your time either. :)
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with snacking, your body needs it between meals - just make sure you're snacking on the right things, like Jaloux suggested, or things like nuts. That way your blood sugar is more likely to be stable throughout the day, and it's less likely you'll feel the insulin spikes and slumps. I'd imagine the fizzy drinks are making you feel pretty bloated too?

What are you eating in a typical day at the moment? And what's your current weight/height? I'd be happy to give you some advice on tweaking things if you want :)

When people think about healthy eating, they often think of boring bland foods (you most certainly don't have to live on steamed brown rice or poo into tubs a la Horrible Poo Woman). Don't think of things like 'good foods and bad foods' - you're well entitled to eat something fat and/or sugary every now and again - but I'd suggest you plan things like these into your meals rather than randomly going for it.

Lastly, read this and there's also some good advice regarding using the exercise machines/weights at home.
  • Options
    Here are some more articles that might help you:

A balanced diet

Five a day
  • Options
    aparently you shouldnt eat very much bread especially if its white bread...and porridge for breakfast with fruit in it is very good
  • Options
    eat more eggs, fish, apples, less meat
  • Options
    I tend to go by the rule of anything in moderation. I think the more people start thinking oh god bad good, guilt trip etc. the more they crave it. If you are wanting to snack and you don't always want to eat fruit then try low cal snacks like the weight watchers bars, or muller light yoghurts. Also just try to be sensible, swap full fat crisps for things like wotsits, swap salami or cheese fillings for tuna or ham salads etc. To be fair, most meals can be made into healthier or lower fat ones. Like supplementing things like creme fraiche in there, low calorie oil spray or olive oil instead of higher unhealthier oils, having stir frys instead of heavier meals, eating jacket potatos instead of chips etc. It just means having to think food through.
    I would say though take it steady and ease yourself into the exercise and healthy eating because i've found with a lot of people they go gungho to begin with and do really well and then either it gets too hard or the novelty wears of and it goes tits up.