Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Spice it up with Arguing?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so i have been single for a while now and thinking about it, i just wondered, and this is more for the girls then the guys, but, do Girls cause arguments on purpose, get stroppy over nothing, just to "Spice Things Up."

Because my Ex told me, she had to cause arguments with me over nothing because i didnt argue and was always "nice". And i have had a fair few mates with girlfriends who are like this too. Is it a typical thing or is it rare?

Comments

• Options
    I can't speak for other people - but I don't think it's about spicy things up. I think it's often about wanting some form of communication or people feeling like people are holding back on their real feelings (being nice rather than honest being the classic example).

So it isn't that arguements are fun or something nice, it's just that it might be a chance for someone to hear something that they suspect someone is feeling but is unwilling to vocalise it.

Our advance on communicating as a couple might be something you would find interesting.
  • Options
    Are you talking about partners or friends/people in general?
  • Options
    Some people are tempestuous and argue a lot (in or out of relationships), it works for some people I guess. There are definitely people who enjoy a good argument, I find it bizarre. I like to discuss things and my fella and I don't always agree on things (by any stretch of the imagination) but if I wanted to "spice things up" I doubt we'd do it by starting arguments :lol: Surefire way to splitsville, or it would be for us anyway... I can't stand bickering.

A good argument can be good once in a while to get the blood pumping, but I would never wish fo, create or instigate an argument for that purpose. It's a bit... strange, to me.

Arguing for the sake of making a relationship exciting seems a bit redundant to me. If it's dull (or becoming dull) you'd be better served trying to work out why, or even finding someone exciting to have a genuinely exciting relationship with, rather than having a fake-exciting relationship all because you stir up some unnecessary conflict when the mood strikes. Weird, if you ask me...
  • Options
    I have missed you so much Briggi, i am so glad you are back :)

I agree, i never saw the point in arguing when a simple discussion of any problems would suffice. But some how my Ex always managed to cause one, making out it was me who started it at the time, then admitting she caused it on purpose. And my best mate was telling me today his girlfriend does the same, which is what got me thinking about this. I have only had few serious girlfriends and the last couple wer eboth very similar in this way so i just wondered. Frankly i didnt understand the need for it.

(I mean in relationships not friendships)
  • Options
    Yeah, some people'll just fuck with your head (if you let them, so don't!) :)

Then there are the people who crave drama and who will never be happy with a peaceful life. Even the natural bumps in the road and little disagreements aren't enough... c'mon, haven't you ever heard them screaming at each other in the ASDA carpark? If that's an exciting, spicy relationship then I'd sooner take a bland one I think ;)
  • Options
    I say it's a test because if you don't pass it, it annoys them or they lose the drama and everything is drama to a girl. I usually handle it in many different ways depending on how she's acting but most of the time it involves a firm interaction or very joking and then something sexual. She basically wants you to tell her off! why? it turns her on and lets her know you are her man and you won't take any of her shit. We all know what happens if you let a girl walk all over you. This is all done in a loving and caring way obviously.
    Are you serious? Women want you to tell them off? How does that even work? Maybe you've just been with the wrong women, but it seems more likely that you've bought into this bullshit macho hyper-masculine ideology. Not too far off justifying domestic abuse, after all how much of a leap is it from 'I'm not going to take any of her shit' to 'I'm going to slap you around to put you in your place'? And it's so funny how this drama is sexualised as well. You think women get turned on by their boyfriend/husband/significant other 'laying down the law' and telling them how to act or behave? And how does being assertive and domineering 'make you a man'? Can women not do this as well, or is that 'not their place'?
    You ahve to learn in your own way how to flow with their drama and make them feel good about being around you. If they get start testing you playfully, telling you that you annoy them, make fun of them, flow with it and turn it sexual. Or if need be lay down the law that you won't put up with it. It's amazing because it's ahrd to imagine, but i've done this so many times now and the strangest thing is the change in personality immediately after you "pass" the test. One girl even said "ok i stop" but that was when i got a little more firm.
    The change in personality might not be anything to do with the fact you've scared them once you've got 'a little bit more firm'? And why does it need to always be sexual? There is far more to a relationship than sex, why do you need to degrade women into some sort of sexualised object that needs to be put in her place, that you won't take any of her shit, and that you're going to lay down the law if she doesn't take notice of what you want? But after all, that's what she wants, isn't it?

To be fair, I don't know you from Adam, thus I wouldn't normally say this, but based on what you've written, you're an arse, and your blind following of a prevailing male ideology based on fear and intimidation makes me sick.
  • Options
    It's a controversial thing, if worded wrong can cause problems on these boards.

Basically it's drama.

A lot of girls seem to like a lad that tells them no, that is a bit of a challenge. Like you appreciate something more if you have to work to get it. What i'm saying is not the be all and end all because other factors come into it like love later on but this is on a different level, i would say instrinctual but wheather love is an instinct could be debated as well.

One example could be a "shittest", i gave up trying to explain this a long time ago. Sometimes women get in a "state" where they are just a grumpy arse! and they will disagree with EVERYTHING, be moody and generally arkward towards you. I've seen this so many times and it's like a test, if you try to appease them "what's the matter babe?" you get nothing, if you try to make them feel better you get nothing. I say it's a test because if you don't pass it, it annoys them or they lose the drama and everything is drama to a girl. I usually handle it in many different ways depending on how she's acting but most of the time it involves a firm interaction or very joking and then something sexual. She basically wants you to tell her off! why? it turns her on and lets her know you are her man and you won't take any of her shit. We all know what happens if you let a girl walk all over you. This is all done in a loving and caring way obviously.

I've said this before but anciet Chinese had a saying they used, while they were at war dealing with real issues, their women would be at home and right letters telling them how annoyed they were at xxxect ect. They would call them "a tornado in a teacup".

You ahve to learn in your own way how to flow with their drama and make them feel good about being around you. If they get start testing you playfully, telling you that you annoy them, make fun of them, flow with it and turn it sexual. Or if need be lay down the law that you won't put up with it. It's amazing because it's ahrd to imagine, but i've done this so many times now and the strangest thing is the change in personality immediately after you "pass" the test. One girl even said "ok i stop" but that was when i got a little more firm.

lol you serious?
  • Options
    I think arguments are horrible. I've been in relationships where theres been arguments and it's obvious we weren't right for each other. If someone feels the needs to create arguments in order to spice things up or because it's the only way they can communicate with you then obviously you two are not right for each other! Clash of personalities/wants and needs I think.
    When you're with the right person and are happy and in love the last thing you want to have is any sort of friction/arguments! If you think you need 'make-up sex' for things to be good then you're sex life isn't good enough to start with.
  • Options
    I have no idea what Matt is trying to argue. :confused:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I have no idea what Matt is trying to argue. :confused:

think he's trying to say girls only argue because they're horny and want putting in their place with a shag. but don't get confused with the other type of girls who are actually psychos/bunny boilers.
  • Options
    My ex girlfriend was a bit like that. She knew she wore the trousers in the relationship and that she could treat me like shit and I'd still come running back.
    I'd meet up with her and we'd be having the best day ever and then suddenly she'd pick an argument over nothing, and it would get really serious. She even 'broke up' with me for a few hours on many occaisions. It's like she found it funny and then she'd always make sure we made up before I went home.

Bitch.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    My ex girlfriend was a bit like that. She knew she wore the trousers in the relationship and that she could treat me like shit and I'd still come running back.
    I'd meet up with her and we'd be having the best day ever and then suddenly she'd pick an argument over nothing, and it would get really serious. She even 'broke up' with me for a few hours on many occaisions. It's like she found it funny and then she'd always make sure we made up before I went home.

Bitch.

see to me that just seems like you weren't right for each other. Not that she was a bitch!
  • Options

Bitch.

There needs to be a common ground. No-one should wear the trousers so to speak, or be the 'sole' driving force in a relationship. Decisions need to be made mutually and in agreement with each other. Sounds simple, often not though. 'Some' people need urgent sense of direction, consequently I think its mostly down to lack of communication. If theres a lack of that, it can get a bit irritating, and arguments are sure to follow over the silliest of things OR your obviously just not right for one another. You need to be suggestive, communicate, and both take the relationship forward.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    Not that she was a bitch!

Lol Trust me, she was. You don't know the rest of what she did, not just to me but her parents and other people.
    She had some sort of problem I think, so maybe it wasn't her fault. She was on brat camp...
  • Options
    She was on brat camp...

oh

:lol:

You know how to pick them don't ya!
  • Options
    btw I've been in a similar situation to yourself in the past. It's definatley a case of a miss match, people wanting different things from the relationship etc.

Dont hate the player hate the game!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    oh

:lol:

You know how to pick them don't ya!

:D
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote: »
    Ok, so i have been single for a while now and thinking about it, i just wondered, and this is more for the girls then the guys, but, do Girls cause arguments on purpose, get stroppy over nothing, just to "Spice Things Up."

Because my Ex told me, she had to cause arguments with me over nothing because i didnt argue and was always "nice". And i have had a fair few mates with girlfriends who are like this too. Is it a typical thing or is it rare?

i do it all the time because my boyfriend lets me win and get my own way with everything so i entice him into an argument.
    Do it everytime I'm drunk too... god im an awful person
  • Options
    Matt, you're still essentially saying that she needs to be put in her place. I wish you'd stop talking about women as a generalisation and as if you know everything there is to know. It's very patronising, but from what you've written, that seems to be your way of dealing with women anyway. At the end of the day, some people get a kick out of drama, some will deliberatly pick arguments. It's not just women that do it, I've known guys that are just the same.
  • Options

Bitch.

Never before this moment have i felt we had much in common... but now i know we do!!!:thumb:
  • Options
    kate- wrote: »
    i do it all the time because my boyfriend lets me win and get my own way with everything so i entice him into an argument.
    Do it everytime I'm drunk too... god im an awful person

You sound like my ex...

Course, everyone has a point here, communication is key, except in the situations when you do try communicating they just talk over you and say you don't listen to them and hear what you want to hear, JUST because you disagree with them. That was my ex, if i disagreed then i "wasn't Listening" and if i pointed out something she clearly had just said then i was "remembering things how i wanted to and not how they actually were". So communication isnt always the problem because the other person has no sense of even trying to communicate.

Being a miss-match i think is more likely the cause of these things. Though in my ex's case she seems to have found and jumped into bed with a guy she believes is perfect for her, yet tells our mutual friends she is "being a girl" because she is getting pissed off over nothing looking for an argument. Same as she did with me. It just is weird. I don't know any guys who are like this though...?
  • Options
    I know for a fact most girls don't want a "yes man" who does everything she says, it annoys them to the max. They get annoyed and grumpy, sometimes even for no reason, so i'm just saying don't take her seriously or react, just make fun of it and talk to her like a baby, make her snap out of it in a POSITIVE way.
    How on earth do you know that's what women want? The very fact that you call them 'girls' when these are (I'm assuming) 18 years old and above shows how patronising you are. And the fact you 'talk to her like a baby'. I get what you're saying as far as not taking her seriously, but you really have to work on your written communication skills because all I see is you digging a hole for yourself.

To the OP (to get back on track), I don't think women intentionally cause arguments just to spice things up, at least not with any regularity. If a woman feels like she has to do that, then there's probably a fundamental problem with the relationship anyway, maybe that it's not exciting or as passionate as she wishes it could be. The only way to figure it out is the next time you're in a relationship is to see how you act as time goes on. It can be difficult to maintain passion in a relationship, but perhaps the reason your girlfriends 'get stroppy' etc is because they feel like they can't directly tell you that they're unhappy and want things to change. You have to make them comfortable from the get go and say 'you know what, if you're unhappy for whatever reason, tell me and we'll change it'. Keeping the lines of communication open is key, but plastering over the cracks and trying to make something lighthearted out of it won't help you in the long-run, despite advice to the contrary.
  • Options
    Really? ask most girls, i'm pretty sure they will tell you they don't want a man that says yes to everything, Which is all i've said.
    Well, you've actually said a lot more than that.
    This is where you mis-understand what the OP's gf is saying. She does not want to have arguments, she just doesn't want a "yes man", she doesn't want constant appeasement, when she gets a strop on over something meaningless and is looking for drama she wants him to say "no" and then give her a passionate kiss or something similar.
    To be fair, this is a massive inference you're making. There is nothing in the OPs original post that suggests this is what's going on. You're reading far too much between the lines and adding your own interpretation.

[quote[Tell her off in a rude and playful manner. When i talked about tests, this is what women do, when they feel as you say "it's not exciting or as passionate" then a girl will do these things and get in a strop. I like to treat it like a "test", because in a sense that's what it is, a way for her to see if you're really going to end her strop or annoy her by trying to appease her.[/quote]
    This is my point, you shouldn't have to tell her off. That's immature, patronising, and down right disrespectful. I've no idea what age you are, or the age of the women you're dating, but it seems like the women you've been have no idea how to actually talk to you about what's going on in their head, and are more willing to play mind games than communicate.
    i've been there! i've tried it! it gets you no where, but if you don't let her walk all over you, be playful, not take her seriously, you both end up laughing and she tells you that she loves you!
    QFT.
    Again you misunderstand her, just because she is in a strop does not mean she is unhappy
    Ockam's razor seems appropriate here. What's more likely, that a woman is in a strop because she's unhappy, or that somehow she's attempting to get a rise out of her boyfriend because all girls love drama, and the best way to deal with this is to 'treat them playfully and make it something sexual'?
    this is why we have fairy tales of men buying women things to appease them and we are taught this from when we are young. Then the same men wonder why their girlfriend treats them so bad and walks off with the bad boy when they grow older
    And you're buying into the whole, 'treat them mean, keep them keen' ideology, which is sexist, damaging, and counterproductive.
    The OPs girlfriend is not unhappy with him in logical terms, she is unhappy because he is not making her FEEL good with her drama.
    Again, you're making assumptions based on *very* little information.
    In a sense make her feel like he is a man.
    So in essence what you're saying is that in order to satisfy a woman there is a particular configuration of masculine traits that have to be adopted in order to do so?

Tbh, you're so set in your ways that you probably can't see what's wrong with how you approach women, sex, respect, masculinity and so forth, so I'm probably wasting my time typing this out, but oh well.
  • Options
    i fink someone should put down the shovel before he gets any deeper in his hole.
  • Options
    To be honest - I don't think going back into the same long arguement about Matt's sexism will really help anything here. Let's try to keep it on topic and away from a discussion of one posters religious (for want of a better word) views. None of it is helpful to the OP or very insightful about relationships except from a skewed perspective.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    To be honest - I don't think going back into the same long arguement about Matt's sexism will really help anything here. Let's try to keep it on topic and away from a discussion of one posters religious (for want of a better word) views. None of it is helpful to the OP or very insightful about relationships except from a skewed perspective.
    Fair enough Jim, but it's a bit hard to offer advice (even from a neutral perspective) when advice is being offered based on unfounded assumptions and inferences by other parties.

Anyway, to the OP's original question of 'do girls cause arguments on purpose, get stroppy over nothing, just to "Spice Things Up."'

In my experience, no.
  • Options
    I admit my first relationship was bad, but i learnt my lessons, seen my mistakes and have matured. ever since i have looked at things differently and it shows in how happy girls, women, seem to be with me when i'm giving the 100% of my attention.

thats whats its all about. Experience.
  • Options
    Ok, from the point of view of a woman ;)

I've never been in a relationship where I've felt I've had to start arguments to spice things up because he was too nice, despite the fact that I've been in relationships where he was very nice and didn't argue with me :)

However, sometimes (in all relationships) I am grumpy, pretty much always due to hormones, those days where I completely got out of bed on the wrong side, and then I am a teensy bit argumentative, but that isn't to spice up my relationship, that's just because I'm in a bad mood, and anything anyone says is wrong.

I am with Jim as well. It may be the only way that some women (and men!) can feel like they can bring up an issue in the relationship.
  • Options
    To be honest mate, your advice is pretty poor anyway. you're telling him to do exactly what he's already doing which is being too "nice"
    To be honest 'mate', I don't care if you think my advice is pretty poor. He didn't ask for advice, he asked the question 'do Girls cause arguments on purpose, get stroppy over nothing, just to "Spice Things Up."'
    The girl doesn't have a problem other than there being as you rightly put it, not enough passion.
    How do you know she doesn't have a problem? The OP didn't say anything other than 'she had to cause arguments with me over nothing because i didnt argue and was always "nice"'

To be fair though, you did say she could just be a 'freak', so I'll give you that.
    Unfounded assumptions? you're making assumptions by saying that.
    What?
    I've had a lot of positive experiences with women over the past few years.
    Good for you, I'm so glad YOU'RE having good experiences from women, but you're assuming that your experiences will port over to every man in the land, as well as every woman. I'm saying that's not the case. Everything you've said is based on suppositions and assumptions. You're inferring loads from what the poster has written. What I mean is that you're drawing conclusions (that she's just horny, that all women love drama, that putting her in her place is what she wants etc etc) from VERY LITTLE EVIDENCE. Your advice (contrary to your thinking) doesn't give the OP any possibility of getting to the root of what's going on in his relationship. You're advocating behaviour modification when his behaviour might not be the problem, it might be the fact that the women he's been with don't know how to communicate, and think that playing mind games is a decent strategy in a relationship. You're playing right into the hands of that kind of thinking by suggesting that instead of getting to the root of what's going on in his relationship that he should just trivialise what his girlfriend is doing and shrug it all of. Rather than manning up and him asking his girlfriend 'listen, why are you being a bitch? Am I too nice to you or something, and are you trying to get a rise out of me?' No, you're suggesting that he takes that as said and acts like an arse, treat it sexual, trivialise it, slap her on the arse and 'get on with loving her'. What I'm saying is that UNLESS he gets to the bottom of what's going on in his relationships this kind of thing is going to continue, and glossing over the cracks by trying to play it off as some kind of immature bullshit all women do isn't going to help him get to the root of why this is going on.

I don't know why I bother arguing with people in this place. It's like trying to eat soup with a fork: frustrating and impossible :banghead:
  • Options
    Good for you, I'm so glad YOU'RE having good experiences from women, but you're assuming that your experiences will port over to every man in the land, as well as every woman. I'm saying that's not the case. Everything you've said is based on suppositions and assumptions. You're inferring loads from what the poster has written. What I mean is that you're drawing conclusions (that she's just horny, that all women love drama, that putting her in her place is what she wants etc etc) from VERY LITTLE EVIDENCE. Your advice (contrary to your thinking) doesn't give the OP any possibility of getting to the root of what's going on in his relationship. You're advocating behaviour modification when his behaviour might not be the problem, it might be the fact that the women he's been with don't know how to communicate, and think that playing mind games is a decent strategy in a relationship. You're playing right into the hands of that kind of thinking by suggesting that instead of getting to the root of what's going on in his relationship that he should just trivialise what his girlfriend is doing and shrug it all of. Rather than manning up and him asking his girlfriend 'listen, why are you being a bitch? Am I too nice to you or something, and are you trying to get a rise out of me?' No, you're suggesting that he takes that as said and acts like an arse, treat it sexual, trivialise it, slap her on the arse and 'get on with loving her'. What I'm saying is that UNLESS he gets to the bottom of what's going on in his relationships this kind of thing is going to continue, and glossing over the cracks by trying to play it off as some kind of immature bullshit all women do isn't going to help him get to the root of why this is going on.
    That's a very good post! :yes: