Home Home, Law & Money
At The Mix, we want to make our services as helpful as we can. To do this, we’d love to ask you a few questions about you, your visit to The Mix and its impact. It should take only about 5-10 minutes to complete. Take this survey and get a chance at winning a £200 Amazon voucher​.
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨


Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
this may seem a bit petty but i was just wondering what you take on it was.........

there is a girl who goes the same bar me and my friend do

she has it in for my mate and quite often does the immature thing of barging into her, trying to wind her up etc

now lastnight, my mate went out for a cig, and i followed, on my way out i overheard her saying to one of the bouncers (whom we are quite close to) " she deals drugs in here every week, you shouldnt let her back in"

now when i asked the bouncer, he denied she said it, to keep the peace i suppose

anyhoo, he told another doorman what she'd said and he told me & my mate, apparently she says it every week

this is an on going thing, she constantly tries to rile my mate, tries to get her to fight, she knows quite well she will come worse off but i think she wants to get my mate into trouble

so what i was wondering was, is constantly accusing someone of being a drug dealer the same as slander?

a lot of people who go in the bar come into mine & my mates place of work, so if they were to over hear it and it got back to our boss, who knows what could happen?

also, anyone else could have heard and thought we had drugs/a lot of money on us and jumped us...

i know it may not be quite serious enough to go all the way, but would it be worth reporting it just to get the police to have a word with her? to warn her?

or should it just be put down to a petty, immature row?



  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would say it is slander, what this girl is saying. I doubt the police would really do anything though as slander isn't a criminal matter but a civil one.

    If someone slanders you then you could take them to court, but most ordinary folk don't have the money for that, you could apply for legal aid but it all seems a bit over the top.

    You could get a strongly worded solicitors letter, in the hope that it will scare her into shutting up, however if it doesn't you might be forced to take further action.

    If you aren't dealing drugs, the make sure people know your aren't. Most people are sensible enough to work out if this girls accusations have any basis. At the end of the day she going to look like the desperate one spreading such rumors.

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    every1 knows (or should know!) we dont deal drugs, we are always poor ffs haha

    also, its a bar where your bag gets searched anyhoo, so the bouncers know that we aint drug dealers

    maybe a verbal warning may help, the threat of involving the law may shut her up

    thanks for the reply calvin :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What Calvin said. Just don't get down to her level and doing the same thing to her. Also, if you do make a big deal out of it (not saying you are) then she'll carry as she knows it's something that gets to you and if you ignore her, she'll soon get bored of it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally i'd put it down to strangeness on her part but your friend could always laugh it off like 'ho ho yes i'm a hardcore druggie me' to show that it isn't bothering her...mmm that's what I would do.
  • BunnieBunnie TheSite's sweetie pie Posts: 6,099
    Personally I would confront her face to face, but that may have certain repercussions, so that is your own personal judgement

    You could go to a solicitor for a free initial meeting for advice, but ill be honest, i would be very suprised if they could help you and it is unlikely you would get legal aid as the boxes you need to tick are very narrow.

    Me personally, would probably just deck her - but that is coz I have an anger problem :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You could also go down the route of a harassment warning from the police.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It is slander, but defamation is a civil matter and, to be quite honest, it's a waste of time pursuing for this type of thing.

    however what the person is doing does constitute harrassment, and having a quick word about it with the police will set your mind at ease.
Sign In or Register to comment.