Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ubuntu 7.10 Out Now

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone tried it yet - just came out - downloading the ISO for the Live CD as we speak

http://tech.tolero.org/blog/en/linux/review-ubuntu-710-gutsy-features-changes

http://www.ubuntu.com

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I always wait a few days, to check in ubuntuforums for any major bugs.
    I'll also wait this time because a telephone cable in my house has a problem and is majorly slowing down my internet. An electrician is coming tomorrow...
  • Options
    Just tried the live CD - works well - detected I had a wide screen laptop unlike the previous version and detected my wifi card and just worked fine - only thing that did work was YouTube - as there is no flash support on the live cd - bit annoying.
  • Options
    Installed! Couldn't wait after all.
    I'm the CoolMe of Ubuntu... :o
  • Options
    I installed it as well but I think the Live CD ran better then the actual Hard drive install - couldn't figure out how to get it to boot Windows XP first by default - something to do with the GRUB file but damned if it would let me edit it..
  • Options
    Installed! Couldn't wait after all.
    I'm the CoolMe of Ubuntu... :o

Now don't i have to be the guy that slags it off:yum:
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I installed it as well but I think the Live CD ran better then the actual Hard drive install - couldn't figure out how to get it to boot Windows XP first by default - something to do with the GRUB file but damned if it would let me edit it..
    I thought you've installed linux before. It detected windows perfectly well for me.
    If you need to edit it, you can right click and "open as administrator" or open a terminal and use "gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst".
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    Now don't i have to be the guy that slags it off:yum:
    You need to have tried it first ;)
  • Options
    You need to have tried it first ;)

Let's say for the sake of the conversation I have:thumb:

CoolMe's Report

I don't like it :)
  • Options
    I thought you've installed linux before. It detected windows perfectly well for me.
    If you need to edit it, you can right click and "open as administrator" or open a terminal and use "gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst".

did all that but could get it to save the changes dunno why.

naah never dual booted before

burned loads of live CD's and probably installed a standalone version before..
  • Options
    If you did open the file as root, there's no reason why saving wouldn't work... Root is God.
  • Options
    If you did open the file as root, there's no reason why saving wouldn't work... Root is God.

root and toor , right?

I read Ubuntu don't use a root password but some other kind of system?
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    root and toor , right?

I read Ubuntu don't use a root password but some other kind of system?
    Yes, you use "sudo" or "gksu" (the latter is better used with graphical programs, the first for console) to "tell" root what to do. As in, be root temporarily, for just one command.
    That's why I told you to open the file this way. The right click way should practically do the same thing.