Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Nasty peely lips

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've tried everything and I'm giving up so I'm asking for help. My lips are peely and well just peely. But really really bad. They have been for a couple months, so I know its not from the weather, though I'm sure its been no help. My trusty beloved sally hansen chapped lip repair and their exfoliating lip moisturizer is no longer working. I've tried softlips, chapstick, blistex, and some aloe vaseline concotion. I think I drink too much water. I'm never outside to feel the pain of nature's wrath anyways. I even do the brush your lips with a toothbrush after your teeth to exfoliate and after all of this, they are still just a nasty peely mess and its been going on for an unnatural amount of time.

So, any more ideas?

And carmex has never worked for me.

Comments

• Options
    Try Burt's Bees Beeswax lipbalm or Lush's Lip Service - apparently beeswax is one of the best things for chapped lips. Also, are you getting enough vitamins? Lack of vitamin E (I think) can sometimes result in chapped/dry lips. I sympathise, mine have been really bad lately though Blistex seems to be doing the trick for now.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi ya, it sounds like you're doing all the right things for your average case of chapped lips, so maybe it could be a bacterial problem?

In which case you would need to get an ointment from the pharmacist. In the UK we have fucidin - I wonder if you have that, or something similar?

Either way it's best to get a second opinion from you doc if possible as it's best to get something prescribed. I know when you have sore lips it doesn't feel like you should have to get them checked out, but it's such a relief to get proper treatment if that is what you need, because I guess at times right now you feel like you wish you could just rip your lips off. :(

You could also check the advice on our factsheet about the issue as there's also some info about using petroleum jelly (like vaseline) in a special way to encourage healing.

Take care :)

ETA: yes blistex is great - it's a medicated balm.
  • Options
    Have you considered trying vaseline and nothing else?

I'm no expert but it might be worth a go because if they've been chapped for this long then attacking them with harsh exfoliating products and a toothbrush may only be making the situation worse.
  • Options
    My trusty beloved sally hansen chapped lip repair and their exfoliating lip moisturizer is no longer working
    have you always used these products? did your lips become dry whilst using them? maybe doing too much can cause dry lips. i heard that vaseline for example actually dries out your lips so that you keep reapplying. go au naturel and see if it clears up