Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ban on GBT men giving blood

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello all,

An interesting topic for debate (and something I have to speak on tonight!) is the ban in the UK on GBT men giving blood. Wondered what people thought. Partly fishing for info but also generally interested.

I have essays and statistics and stuff but won't go for info overload just yet.

Comments

• Options
    I think it's one of those laws that just hasn't been changed with the times (like drug laws, Sunday trading laws, pub opening hours, motorway speed limits). Most people probably wouldn't agree with the law, but it's kinda the norm and no-one is too arsed about it. It's up to the people who care to make a fuss I guess. Probably goes back to the time when "all gay people had aids." A blood test should be done like everyone else (I presume they test the blood), preferably twice just in case any diseases that might take a while to show like HIV are present. If it's clear, they should be free to give blood. It's all the same stuff AFAIK.
  • Options
    Gay men arent prohibited but men who have had anal sex with other men are.
  • Options
    And do they just rely on the man's word for that? Seems like the most ridiculous law ever.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Gay men arent prohibited but men who have had anal sex with other men are.
    What about straight men who have anal sex with women? Why is that different?
  • Options
    Are immigrants from Sub-Saharan Africa banned?

As for gay men being stopped, like has been said its a bit of a throw back, though in real terms I dont know about their relative risk. I can only assume the blood is tested before use anyway isnt it?
  • Options
    most certainly. Anywhere in the world, blood banks test all donated blood before making transfusions.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Are immigrants from Sub-Saharan Africa banned?

For 12 months i think.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    What about straight men who have anal sex with women? Why is that different?

Risk probably. Im sure the national blood service had a reason for not wanting the blood.
  • Options
    Are transgender men banned from giving blood? As someone else had said, I thought it was if you've had anal sex with another man then you weren't allowed...?

And it would have been done in the name of risk probably, but perhaps also due to social climate, so maybe it needs a rethink. But HIV afaik is higher in gay males than any other sexuality group, so it's not just random prejudice.

There was someone recently who contracted some virus through a blood transfusion, so although they are screened they're not foolproof which is why they do say you have to meet lots of criteria 'just in case'.
  • Options
    One of the problems lie with the screening process.

While all blood is screened unfortunately certain bugs don't always show on the test. Taking HIV as an example, there can be enough in the blood to cause infection but not enough to show on the test, hence why they have to be so careful about the blood they take.

Men who have sex with other men are still one of the higher % carriers of HIV which is why they aren't allowed to donate.

It does rely completely on honesty, but then the whole system does. I believe the ban may also extend to people who have sex with a man who has had anal sex.
  • Options
    The current guidelines of the National Blood Service are ridiculous. A straight man who sleeps around regularly having unprotected sex with scores of women is fine. But, a gay man in a long term relationship who has always had protected sex is banned for life. It would make more sense for the guidelines to exclude men and women who have had unprotected sex, banning men who have protected sex with men doesn't make sense.

And the idea that the NBS is only banning 'high risk' donors doesn't really wash, men who have oral sex with men (with or without a condom) are banned; oral sex between two men as far as HIV is concerned is generally lower risk than vaginal intercourse between a man and a woman.
    One of the problems lie with the screening process.

While all blood is screened unfortunately certain bugs don't always show on the test. Taking HIV as an example, there can be enough in the blood to cause infection but not enough to show on the test, hence why they have to be so careful about the blood they take.

If the NBS has 'to be so careful' about the blood they take why can straight people who sleep around and have unprotected sex with multiple partners give blood?
    Men who have sex with other men are still one of the higher % carriers of HIV which is why they aren't allowed to donate.

That's true... But it's also an arbitrary rule which in practice can appear absurd. Someone who 'experimented' when they were a teenager decades ago is banned for life, but a straight person who had unprotected sex last week with someone they met in a nightclub is fine.
    It does rely completely on honesty, but then the whole system does. I believe the ban may also extend to people who have sex with a man who has had anal sex.

It does, although, I don't think it is a lifetime ban. I think it's 6 or 12 months for women who've had sex with gay/bi men.
  • Options
    There have been a few petitions on some sort Government website asking for the ban on GBT men being allowed to give blood.

I'm unsure about this, tbh.
    If the NBS has 'to be so careful' about the blood they take why can straight people who sleep around and have unprotected sex with multiple partners give blood?

They should do really.
  • Options
    It's the same as people who have recently had tattoos. It's all about risk and fact is that the risk is still higher, in general terms, with gay men than straight men.

Of course, NBS could question every single person about their sex life. Sadly that would just drive people away when the opposite is needed.
  • Options
    there are soooo many people who are banned. Like people who have ever had sex for money, but youre ok if youre extremely promiscuous, as long as you didnt take money for it.

I think they need to update the tests somehow tbh rather than blanket ban groups of people whothe majority of would still be fine, or at least only have a time limit for certain groups rather than outlawing them completely.
  • Options
    It's all about risk and fact is that the risk is still higher, in general terms, with gay men than straight men.

Think this is the key point.

I know that straight people who sleep around unprotected pose a bigger threat than careful gay men. Some of the other questions on the forms do try and discourage people who fall into that category from donating.

SCC has a good point. It doesn't need to be a blanket ban, and time restricted ban would do the trick much like they now have for travel to certain countried.

I'd also like to point out that the ban really doesn't apply to GBT men, it applies to men who have at any point had anal sex - very different.
  • Options
    I think they need to update the tests somehow tbh rather than blanket ban groups of people whothe majority of would still be fine, or at least only have a time limit for certain groups rather than outlawing them completely.

For certain groups (like self harmers) there is a ban for one year.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I got quite upset when I wasn't allowed to give blood because of this. All because of that filthy faggot that got me drunk and fucked me when I was 15. I hate gays.

I think you should word that differently. I think you need counselling if you hate the entire gay community because of 'that filthy faggot' when you were 15.
    I'd also like to point out that the ban really doesn't apply to GBT men, it applies to men who have at any point had anal sex - very different.

The ban applies to the vast majority of gay man. It applies to ALL men who have had oral or anal sex at ANY time with another man - with or without a condom. How is that 'very different' to banning gay men? :confused:

Would banning any straight man who has had sex with a woman not be equivalent to banning straight men?

(Yes, lifelong celibate gay men can still give blood - pretty obvious... even Catholics have no objections to lifelong celibate gay men).
  • Options
    I think in a few years I'll get tested and give blood anyway. It was only the once.

It would make no difference if you were tested or not, thats the point.
    I know i dont have HIV, hepatitis or anything like that. Ive been tested but because I used to be an IV drug user many years ago, the fact that im clean now and disease free, they still dont want my blood, but someone who went out and fucked a different man every night, as long as it was vaginal sex with a man that had never had sex with another man or used IV drugs or been to africa....
    If theyre so unsure that the tests they do on the blood work, then why isnt there more instances of people catching stuff from blood transfusions and why cant they research making the tests better?
  • Options
    or been to africa....

Wait what?!

Does that mean I can't give blood?
  • Options
    erm it's because a larger % of the gay population have HIV, well when the ban was bought in - as long as you show a test result saying your clean you should be able to donate imo
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Wait what?!

Does that mean I can't give blood?

its only certain parts of africa i think. Im not sure if you have to have had sex when yu were there or not
  • Options
    https://secure.blood.co.uk/vi_c11_cant.asp

J. They dont want your blood. Why lie? What will you get out of lying about it?
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    An interesting topic for debate (and something I have to speak on tonight!) is the ban in the UK on GBT men giving blood. Wondered what people thought. Partly fishing for info but also generally interested.

I'm very much torn.

A blanket ban isn't fair, but at the same time I fully understand why they do it, and to be quite honest I don't think the National Blood Service should take the risk just because it is politically correct to do so.

Those who have used IV drugs, men who have had sex with each other (and this extends to oral sex, not just anal), and those who have been sexually active in places like Africa, or with men who have had sex with men, are more of a risk. The risk is undisputable.

And whilst I appreciate it is a small risk, there is a risk, and I don't think it is a risk that is necessary to take. The only reason why the restrictions should be eased is if we need the blood, and there is no blood shortage at present. I don't think the NBS should start playing with people's lives for political reasons.

Not so very many years ago a five-year-old girl in Melbourne contracted HIV from a blood transfusion, and whilst it can never be 100% risk-free, I wouldn't want to have to be the doctor who has to tell a parent that their child has contracted HIV. Tests are not foolproof, as this tragic case proves.

We should be looking to minimise risk, and until a 100% foolproof test is invented for HIV, we should not be inviting people to give blood if their sexual past, or their lifestyle past, means that they are a more risky donor.
  • Options
    If theyre so unsure that the tests they do on the blood work, then why isnt there more instances of people catching stuff from blood transfusions and why cant they research making the tests better?

They're not so unsure, they are extra cautious because the people who need blood transfusions are so very very vulnerable. There's a lot of research that goes into trying to make testing blood easier, faster, more reliable and more sensitive but so far no one's developed a perfect testing system.

Personally I'd rather that they were harsh with the limits they set if it keeps the patients who need the blood safer, and I'd put their safety above any equality issue any day.

I meet and fail the requirements on a fairly frequent cycle. If I can give blood then I will, to try and help someone. If I can't, I won't and I'd rather they minimised the risks to the patients.

Going back to the issue of people who sleep around, technically most of them shouldn't give blood if they've been sleeping around in the last year because they can't give the necessary answer to the questions about the people they've had sex with (towards the bottom of Suzys link).
  • Options
    The questions should be irrelevant if you've been tested at the appropriate interval since the ban-worthy(word?) incident.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    The questions should be irrelevant if you've been tested at the appropriate interval since the ban-worthy(word?) incident.

Perhaps, but for the biggest group who get caught up in the restrictions (sexually active homosexual/bisexual men) that's really going to be irrelevant.
  • Options
    It's not really an equality issue. Men's who've had sex with other blokes aren't the only ones who shouldn't give blood. Nor can those who've injected drugs, slept with a prostitue or had a pearcing in the last six months.

If they were banning gays because they didn't like their lifestyle choice I can see its discriminatory. However they're banning sexually active gays to minimise risk
  • Options
    because you dont meet the criteria, same as I dont.
    Theres nothing wrong with mine either, but I dont meet their criteria and unless i lie then theyll say im not suitable. There isnt a blood shortage at the moment so just keep your blood for yourself.
  • Options
    Someone will want my blood when they have none of thier own, there's nothing wrong with it so why shouldn't they want it?

But until you've had a test to determine whether you're safe or not, how do they know this?
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    For certain groups (like self harmers) there is a ban for one year.

I dont think self-harmers are banned (although I see the logic behind it). You might get banned if you take certain drugs though, and some ADs are probably on that list.