Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

having a baby - being old

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya.

I'm thinking time is running out, I am with a nice man now, my life is back on a more even keel so I should start trying for a baby. I gave up smoking a couple of weeks ago and have just started taking folic acid etc.

Am still on the pill (mini-pill) but plan to come off it in about a months time, maybe early Dec.

Anyone else ever planned a pregnancy? What did you do, did you come off a contraceptive to do so?

Anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Personally I'd recommend coming off the pill sooner rather than later as it really screwed with my cycle and it took ages for it to settle down to being "normal" again. I stopped the pill in about late 2002 and didnt get pregnant til 2005.

Everyone is different though, my best friend stopped her pill and was pregnant the next month!
  • Options
    You know - I am thinking I might just do that. but then I do need to make sure I have been taking folic acid etc. I just feel like cos I am 37 I need to be really careful or something?

Having some weirdness in that I finished my period just over a week ago and then this morning I got another, I am worried that perhaps I was pregnant but then because i was taking the pill it didn't hold? I have been on this pill about 6 months or so, maybe a bit longer, but always got periods (even though I don't take a break) and my last doctor told me that perhaps I wasn't fully protected.

oh - I don't know, shall I just stop taking it?
  • Options
    37 isnt really old. Id also suggest just coming off the pill and making sure you keep on with the folic acid/multivitamin, cut back on caffiene too.

Good luck, I hope it happens quickly for you. I think youll be a fantastic parent!
  • Options
    As long as you and your partner are 100% sure that this is what you want then I'd say yeah stop taking it today.

Is there any particular reason you planned to stop it in a months time?
  • Options
    well.... this is going to sound really awful but apart from wanting to make sure I am healthy, giving up smoking, eating better (I have lost a lot of weight since I left my last partner and I want to be just a bit more of a healthy weight), taking folic acid etc ...there's stuff I know I will be going to next summer and if I can avoid being 8 0r 9 months pregnant then it would mean I would be more likely to go. I know how crap that sounds but if I did get pregnant straight away it would limit me being able to do these things and I wouldn't want to put any baby at risk.

On the other hand, I know that I want to be a mum and so there is no right time and if I did get pregnant straight away I would just change my plans so I know I am big silly.

Me and my new bloke want to be parents. I just left someone i was with for years, bought a new house, new bloke is practically living with me and plans to be there full time by Christmas.... I recon I should go for it eh?
  • Options
    She'll kill me for saying this but Mrs MoK was 37 when we had Hannah. Easiest preganancy and birth we had.

She came off the pill and started taking folic acid. Nature took care of the timings for us...
  • Options
    I had my second baby 3 weeks ago and I'm 28. Not strictly a planned pregnancy but I came off the contraceptive pill about 5 months before my daughter was conceived. I started taking folic acid as soon as I realised I was pregnant.

Apart from a bit of morning sickness it was a very easy pregnancy, labour and delivery, far easier than my son who I had when I was 20.

Good luck xx
  • Options
    awww Byny, just give birth at glastonbury!! Hows that for a story to tell?
  • Options
    I went to Glastonbury pregnant! I was dancing away in the Dance village 26 weeks gone!! It's not the same but it's not that bad either :)
  • Options
    I just read this:
    ...but I came off the contraceptive pill about 5 months before my daughter was conceived.
    Good luck xx

as:
    ...but I came off the contraceptive pill about 5 months before my daughter was born.
    Good luck xx

and it confused the hell out of me. (Time for a rest methinks.)
  • Options
    awww Byny, just give birth at glastonbury!! Hows that for a story to tell?

lol - see, you all know it's Glastonbury :)
    I could not go, it's not the be all and end all but if I could just be a bit pregnant when I go it would be better. I'd have to get pregnant right now to make a Glastonbury birth happen though!

Have spoken to my boyfriend and he's keen to get going, and thinks I should wait a month, take the folic acid etc, then come off the pill.
  • Options
    tbh the best plan would be to go somewhere between 4 and 7 mths pregnant.
    The first couple of months are often horrid, and the last couple of months - well you probably wont wanna be camping out.
    The second trimester is lovely though