Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Paranoia at work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure if this should go in the work forum...? Here goes anyway.
Basically the problem is this. Yesterday I found out I'd got a job I went for earlier this week, it was an internal position and four of my colleagues (all of whom I'm relatively friendly with) also went for it. It's a good job, of a type that doesn't come up all that regularly in my office and I was really chuffed I got it if not a little shocked, I did work hard in the interview but was really surprised to get it nonetheless as I felt convinced I didn't have as much experience as my other colleagues etc. The feedback I've had from it though was that I did really well in the tasks I was given and although it was close, I got the highest marks overall.
Anyway, enough of the bragging (I didn't mean to - just needed to give some background). Most people have been really nice since finding out I got it, I've had lots of congratulations etc, however I'm starting to feel very paranoid about the reactions of a few people. I know some people were very surprised that I got it and this seems to be translating into some bad feeling. One woman in particular even told one of the assessors that she thought it was a fix, which I found out from a friend in confidence and really upset me. I've also noticed colleagues talking to the others who went for the job in hushed voices and it feels at times like the attitdues of some people have changed towards me, whether it's through loyalty to their friends (as they are closer to the others than me) or distrust of the interview process.
I know I shouldn't worry about this but I hate feeling like people are talking about me in a negative way and hate even more the feeling that they think I shouldn't have got the job or, worse, that I got it through unfair means or favouritism or whatever. What should I do? Ignore them, or try to set the record straight somehow? I don't really know how I'd do that - like I said it's only a feeling I've had and maybe I'm paranoid - but it's really getting to me and even starting to make me wish I hadn't got the job.

Comments

• Options
    To be honest, it's fairly common with internal vacancies for this to happen. Anyone who lost gets all angry and starts implying they were the best person and that you earned it on your back/through blackmail/your friendship with the boss. It's nothing about you, it's just what happens.

The best thing is to ignore it and don't let the people who lost tell you you're rubbish. If you're rubbish and you beat them, what does that make them? Tell them to fuck off if they get funny.

If it's bothering you have a quiet word with your boss about it, because it is bullying and harrassment.
  • Options
    Get on with the job, show them why you got it by doing it well.

You will always get petty jealousy in any work place.