Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

anxious about uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i came home for the weekend then came down with a virus which left me feeling nauseous with flu-like symptoms...it doesn't help that i have a phobia of throwing up (but havent luckily)..i seem to be getting over it but dont want to go to uni then feel worse and freak out so i emailed my seminar leader today for tomorrow to say i was off with a virus and probably wont be back till thursday night now.

i rang my friend today who also has a bug but is at uni and apparently a body was found near where we live and the police arent saying anything..im a worrier but this has just made me feel more down about uni..im trying not to sound selfish here, it's just made me feel really sad..i've been a but if an emotional wreck lately so maybe this is part of it but yeah..

its just uncertainty with feeling ill and i dont want uni to think i am messing them around and now something horrible has happened near to where i live.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Universities are very understanding of sickness of their students as long as you can display a doctors note or whatever showing you are ill. They won't think you're messing them about so I wouldn't worry about that.

I think most uni's have a trained psychiatrist on hand if needed to help you overcome any diffculties. Try getting in contact with them or advisor of studies and have a talk.

Most of all, don't worry, uni's want the best of all their students so they'll be very helpful. :thumb:
  • Options
    thankyou,

i dont have a doctors note because it's just a virus but they knew that i was going to come back until tonight anyway because i had my therapist appointment..already seeing a psychiatrist but i doubt it will hurt to speak to someone on campus.

just feeling really antsy about everything at the moment
  • Options
    One thing I would add is that while there are many advantages to staying at home while you feel ill, try not to stay away too long as the longer you're away the harder it is to go back.

You get used to being back home etc and leaving it gets harder the longer you stay.
  • Options
    One thing I would add is that while there are many advantages to staying at home while you feel ill, try not to stay away too long as the longer you're away the harder it is to go back.

You get used to being back home etc and leaving it gets harder the longer you stay.

this is also worrying me but i know i cant go back while im ill because i just get panic attacks :(
  • Options
    Worrying about going back is usally much much worse than just going back. If you can, I would try to go back ASAP.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Worrying about going back is usally much much worse than just going back. If you can, I would try to go back ASAP.

the plan is thurs evening..well thats my target..it was tomorrow but im still ill
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

Yeah I agree. It might only seem a day or two, but it with every day it will get harder to go back to uni.