Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bringing up baby producer tells Ford and Verity to 'bring it on'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't know if anyone has been watching Bringing up Baby, a series on channel 4 regarding which 'method' from the 50s, 60s or 70s is 'best' in terms of bringing up a newborn, dressed up to look like a social experiment (which is bollocks as there are so many variables to take into consideration) but the behaviour of one of the mentors i.e. Claire Verity (who charges up to £1000 a day) has caused controversy, and in parts outrage.
Verity's methods have led to death threats, her being spat at in the street and being asked to stay away from The Baby Show at Earls Court, London, later this month.

Anyway, things took an interesting turn when Gina Ford (also quite controversial in some circles regarding routines) wrote to the NSPCC protesting that Verity's methods are putting the lives of babies at risk.

Linkypoo

What upset me the most was the response of the producer, Daisy Goodwin regarding this:
Ford might have fired the first salvo against the maternity nurse, whose appearance on the Channel 4 series Bringing Up Baby prompted more than 250 complaints to Ofcom, the television watchdog, but Verity responded yesterday by challenging her to a public competition to see whose technique works best. Daisy Goodwin, producer of Bringing Up Baby, welcomed Verity's challenge, saying the two experts should 'bring it on'.

They're babies, not flowers FFS. I have nothing else to say on the matter, but I hope most parents are sane enough to not want to put their newborns (and themselves) up for this. Ultimately, it's the children who suffer.

Comments

• Options
    I havent seen bringing up baby as i dont have a TV but ive heard and read all sorts about her since. Her methods seem barbaric, only feeding your newborn every 4 hours, and the rest of the time leaving it in the garden in its pram to cry. Only allowed to cuddle the baby for 10 minutes a day at a set time, so as not to "spoil" the baby.
    The sort of approach that is pure calculated neglect. Absolutely abhorrant.
  • Options
    Was that the approach that trussed up the baby in straight jacket like blankets to put it to bed?

I only saw the trailers for it because I work when it is on, but I liked the look of the "keeping baby in a sling all the time" approach.
  • Options
    I don't often get overly emotional in debate, but honestly Abbie, it reminded me of that NSPCC advert where they say that Miles is a quiet baby, because he knows that no one will come for him. That's not to say fresh air, getting into a routine when you're ready, and listening and learning what babies cries mean are bad things, however the sheer extremism of some of the methods are so alienating, especially from Verity. I'd imagine it's bloody difficult being a new parent early on, people need support and encouragment, not shows like this putting people up against one another.
  • Options
    Was that the approach that trussed up the baby in straight jacket like blankets to put it to bed?
    QUOTE]

Where the baby was swaddled with a dummy? Yes.
    I only saw the trailers for it because I work when it is on, but I liked the look of the "keeping baby in a sling all the time" approach.

I like the idea of slinging, and would like to do it when my own bebe comes along, but I don't think I'd manage it 24/7 for 6 months. Honestly, I think it would drive me mad :D Plus, I'm an evil career woman who will go back to work, and I can't imagine slinging a baby around during outpatients appointments ;)
  • Options
    Apart from the constant access to the breast part of the sling technique, it's something that you could share with your partner and so baby bonds well with both. As I imagine a bond forms quite well through that.

I think you should take your baby to work in a sling, if that mayor can breast feed her baby in the company car then you can do that ;)
  • Options
    Well, I'd imagine it would work for the indigenous population for an amazonian tribe, but I think a lot of the Continum Concept is very unrealistic for where and how we live now, and sets some people up for failure, particularly if they have trouble breastfeeding or can't/don't want to cosleep (my boyfriend 'suffers' from sleepsex, so having an infant in a bed with us would be a big no no). I'd happily sling while going out, doing housework etc but I don't think it's needed 24/7. All in moderation really.

Also, I don't buy the whole, "If a baby sleeps in a bed with you, it has a sense of rightness and if it doesn't, it gains a sense of wrongness," talk. It's just the thing to send a new guilty mother storming up the Edinburgh scale.
  • Options
    Oh no I just meant about having the baby in a sling with you for the day, like I said I haven't seen the series, just the trailers. I wouldn't have the baby in bed with me in case it suffocates because of me rolling on it, I'm a very roly poly sleeper!
  • Options
    Yeah me too!

I especially like the idea of slinging in public. Those slings for newborns where it looks like a pea in a pod snuggled away seem cool. And I'd imagine it would make strangers less inclined to touch the baby as it's tucked away :D
  • Options
    Oh I know, they look lovely! I would have one with baby on my tummy though, not on my back, because I'd want to be able to see it!
  • Options
    i was in a sling for my first 6 weeks (not constantly but a lot)...

i think being close to the baby at first is very important...
  • Options
    I think parents just need to trust their instincts and do what feels right to them. Different babies have different requirements. I co-slept with lenny for ages because that was the only way either of us got any sleep. He was colicky, had reflux and would only sleep on his tummy, lying on my chest :| Wasnt what id had in mind but needs must. he screamed and screamed in his moses basket, pram or cot. I also carried him in a sling for the first 12 weeks as he wouldnt lie flat in a pram. Sometimes you just do what you have to do, sleep deprivation is no good for anyone, and providing you follow certain guidelines, co-sleeping is perfectly safe.
    Félix on the other hand was happy to sleep in his basket or pram from the start and went into his own room after a few weeks. lenny would never have done that!! Completely different baby with different needs, and anyone that tries to fit a baby into their own routine without taking into account what an individual child needs IS setting themselves up for failure.
    There is no "one size fits all" approach
  • Options
    There is no "one size fits all" approach

Speaking of which, can you imagine lugging that 15lb Russian baby around in a sling?
  • Options
    :lol: Id rather not thanks!
    i gave up carrying félix in a sling after about the first 3 weeks and he was less than that, but then again, i do have a dodgy back.
  • Options
    and she was 17lb i think
  • Options
    pfft, pedant
  • Options
    17.5 actually ;)
  • Options
    only feeding your newborn every 4 hours

Aren't they meant to be fed every 3 hours?
  • Options
    super-pedant.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Aren't they meant to be fed every 3 hours?

when theyre newborns theyre meant to be fed on demand.
    Being that a newborns stomach is roughly the size of a walnut, theres no way most tiny babys could comfortably go 4 hours. Obviously you can FORCE them to go that long and they wont die, but that doesnt mean it isnt cruel.
  • Options
    there have been times in the filming of it where the babies have actualylbeen crying out of real hunger and it's still ignored

babies =/ adults in food consumption patterns
  • Options
    I think the NSPCC should step in and press charges against Verity and the producer, tbh. Lets see what a jury thinks of her.
  • Options
    Tbh, I'd be giving death threats if I lived next door to someone who's method of parenting was to leave a kid out in the garden to cry.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I think the NSPCC should step in and press charges against Verity and the producer, tbh. Lets see what a jury thinks of her.

:yes:
  • Options
    I think it would be a bit hypocritical to press charges against someone leaving their tot on their own property outside the back door without looking at parents who leave their children in a strange holiday apartment while they swan off to dinner.
  • Options
    It depends, doesn't it, on whether you believe the latter formed part of a period of systematic child abuse for profit.
  • Options
    Or even both of them, but that's a side issue really. The responsibility for the children falls on the parents though surely, n ot the chihldcare advisors? If some silly sausage told me to leave my baby outside...
  • Options
    I saw a bit last night where a woman was saying that she could 'train' a baby to sleep through the night by 2 weeks old!? Aren't they still being fed in the night then?
  • Options
    Saw this last night. Don't agree with what that woman said to the parents with twins, about feeding them a little bit i the afternoon and then basically force feeding them before they go to bed. I did Child Care last year and was told to never force feed a baby and go at their own pace.

:yes: @ Ballerina & Katralla.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    The responsibility for the children falls on the parents though surely, n ot the chihldcare advisors?

It depends, in this case I don't think it does.

But I wouldn't complain if the parents were prosecuted for putting their child onto such a stupid programme.
  • Options