Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Would you swallow a worm if it cured your asthma or allergies?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Would you swallow a worm (or rather their eggs) if it cured your asthma or allergies? I'd consider it if I had either of those two things and was really bad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1632863.stm

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2006/4/30/91945/8971

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The second one is a bit too long to read, but my answer anyway is:
    If it would cure me and would not have any bad side-effects, yes I would. This doesn't seem to be the case here though, it's trading one evil for another.
  • Options
    The second one is a bit too long to read, but my answer anyway is:
    If it would cure me and would not have any bad side-effects, yes I would. This doesn't seem to be the case here though, it's trading one evil for another.

Only said to cause problems in growing children - once you're fully grown should be no ill effects plus those kids have no control over how many they have inside of them. Under controlled conditions you could decide how many to ingest and when to replace them.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Only said to cause problems in growing children - once you're fully grown should be no ill effects plus those kids have no control over how many they have inside of them. Under controlled conditions you could decide how many to ingest and when to replace them.
    So it would require regular medical attention? I suppose if it was rarer than other solutions (or if other solutions don't exist, I don't really know) it would be good. But definitely not if I needed surgery or anything every now and then, if it was manageable through ingested medicine or something similar it would be fine.
  • Options
    If it could cure my allergy to being thin then yes, yes I would.

Hell, I'd suck cock if it stopped me being fat :o
  • Options
    Its already know that high parasite burden = less allergies, asthma seems to be a big one. In countries where people get a lot of parasites such as parts of Africa asthma is a lot less common.

Most intestinal parasites can cause adverse symptoms and one of the ones asscoiated with hookworm (mentioned in the first link) is anaemia cos they suck your blood!

It is very interesting though - the branch of the immune system which deals with parasites is also the bit which lead to allergies. If this part of the immune system isnt kept busy with parasites it start attacking relatively harmless things you come into contact with.

being dirty is good for you ;)
  • Options
    So it would require regular medical attention? I suppose if it was rarer than other solutions (or if other solutions don't exist, I don't really know) it would be good. But definitely not if I needed surgery or anything every now and then, if it was manageable through ingested medicine or something similar it would be fine.

Well it ain't that different to probiotic youghurts and stuff, same principle that you ingest a living organism to aid health

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probiotic
  • Options
    Well it ain't that different to probiotic youghurts and stuff, same principle that you ingest a living organism to aid health

Which is what I said?
  • Options
    of course I would, and I'm a vege
  • Options
    Christ, I've swallowed a few worms in my time.

Admitedly, they have usually been soaked in Tequila :D
  • Options

There are no adverse effects to taking probiotics - even the beneficial effects are debatable but parasitic worms can cause problems

I think the main problem with this theory is that for the most part its just comparing people in the part of the world where parasitic worms are uncommon and allergies and asthma are common to places like areas of Africa where the opposite is true.

Im not sure that it has or can be proven that someone who already has asthma can be cured by getting worms up their bumhole.

Still interesting though - more research needed.
  • Options
    if i had a problem like that i'm sure i would take pretty much anything that cured me so :yes:
  • Options
    If I were really bad,
  • Options
    Given I've been bloody close to taking the bread knife to my foot because it itches so much (eschma or however the hell you spell it) I'd eat a pile of shit if it cured me - though not a big pile.
  • Options
    I would if it stopped me getting prickly heat after being in the sun for 10 minutes.. :crying:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yes.

If something cures me, why would I care what it is? It's a cure ffs.
  • Options
    Hell, I'd suck cock if it stopped me being fat :o

I'm happy to let you test the theory on me. :p