Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

brown rice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm trying to be a bit more healthy by eating brown rice rather than white but i can't seem to cook it properly. everytime ive tried its still been crunchy :sour: eventhough i've cooked it for quite a while.

i want some for my dinner tonight but don't fancy crunchy, hard rice again so how long shall i put it in for?

taaaaaa :)

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Till it's soft.

I've tried to do the healthy think but brown rice really is shit in comparrison. imo.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Brown rice needs a long time to cook, normally about 30 minutes or so, if it's crunchy you've not cooked it for long enough.

I prefer brown rice because it gives me fewer digestion problems, but it is an acquired taste.
  • Options
    Brown rice takes roughly time and a half of white rice.

Im not a fan of brown rice. It just doesnt taste as nice.

Just have white rice and go for a jog tomorrow :thumb:
  • Options
    Is brown rice the same as wholegrain rice? I use wholegrain by Uncle Bens and it only takes 10minutes to cook. I have noticed that some brown rice packets say cook for 25mins though!
  • Options
    I find brown rice a bit of an aquired taste too, I couldn't have it on its own, but it's ace put in some stews and soups to thicken them up :yum:
  • Options
    If you want to be healthy and cant be arsed cooking brown rice (I usually cant) then use longrain basmati, which is almost as good.