Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

why do so many people hate themselves ...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
to the point where they will pay to be medicaly mutilated just to have a smaller nose bigger tits etc?

Comments

• Options
    Pressures of society. Desire to look nice and to suceed/enhance self esteem.

It's a pity like.
  • Options
    was this sparked by last nights louis theroux?

i thought there were some real odd balls on there, im only in my 20s but certainly ive noticed a shift in more people not liking themselves.

when i was younger there was none of this self harm (well not in the media anyway) and plastic surgery was something for movie stars.

compeltely different these days, everyone and adam is getting into it.

:no:
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote: »
    was this sparked by last nights louis theroux?

I watched that and I probably shouldn't have because it made me start thinking about all the bits of myself that I really don't like.

Quite interesting though.
  • Options
    and plastic surgery was something for movie stars.

It's more accessible now though isn't it. And there are so many programmes and magazine articles on it that people start to see it as the norm. I think it's a shame though.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    It's more accessible now though isn't it. And there are so many programmes and magazine articles on it that people start to see it as the norm. I think it's a shame though.

true, but only because companies are willing to let people to get in thousands of pounds worth of debt to pay for it, they borrow money they cant afford to get bigger tats.

its just all wrong.

but each to their own i suppose. if it makes them happy then so be it, better them being all mopey and suicidal.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I watched that and I probably shouldn't have because it made me start thinking about all the bits of myself that I really don't like.

Quite interesting though.

Me too! I started thinking how quick and easy a bit of lipo would be... but then those 50 year ols guys who reckoned they'd been made to look like Schwarzanegger put me RIGHT off. So did that receptionist's boobs- they looked like they were full of socks- all lumpy :yuck:
  • Options
    when i was younger there was none of this self harm (well not in the media anyway) and plastic surgery was something for movie stars.

Plastic surgery is a lot more acceptable and cheaper and more easily accessible nowdays.

As for the self harm issue, i'd imagine it was still there but in the shadows rather than the mainstream, same issue as people suffering from depression.
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    Me too! I started thinking how quick and easy a bit of lipo would be... but then those 50 year ols guys who reckoned they'd been made to look like Schwarzanegger put me RIGHT off. So did that receptionist's boobs- they looked like they were full of socks- all lumpy :yuck:
    I know! When they said they had to rebalance her boobs, I thought they meant the other one, because the one they actually operated on looked so much more natural. And when she said she wanted those bits on her back done, I was like...WHAAAAT?!

I wouldn't mind lipo, because after they showed Louis' op and everything, it didn't look at all unnatural and he did say he felt good after it.
  • Options
    Me too! I started thinking how quick and easy a bit of lipo would be... but then those 50 year ols guys who reckoned they'd been made to look like Schwarzanegger put me RIGHT off.

That was ridiculous. And I felt really sorry for him, because he'd been bullied his entire life for it. But muscles aren't like boobs, they have to be in proportion with the rest of your body. He looked stupid when he just had his chest implants, because his arms weren't big enough. And now he looks stupid because he's got big arms and a big chest on tiny shoulders. Do they do shoulder implants? Even then, he'd then need to do the back as well. Just go to the gym ffs, it's probably less effort.

Incidentally, I really don't get breast implants at all. For a start, boobs are soooooo 1990's. And also small breast are far more attractive than fake ones, and you can almost always tell.
  • Options
    For a start, boobs are soooooo 1990's.

haha, love it
  • Options
    I felt sorry for the receptionist when her colleague turned round and went 'I think she needs it' when they were talking about having an op on her love handles. How cruel!
  • Options
    I felt sorry for the receptionist when her colleague turned round and went 'I think she needs it' when they were talking about having an op on her love handles. How cruel!
    Lol I know! I was expecting her to say that she was being stupid and it was like :|.
  • Options
    Lol I know! I was expecting her to say that she was being stupid and it was like :|.

And if that girl needs work done then the rest of us may as well give up now. And may I say... who the hell is that other woman to point the finger- I thought the receptionist was naturally much prettier.
  • Options
    And if that girl needs work done then the rest of us may as well give up now. And may I say... who the hell is that other woman to point the finger- I thought the receptionist was naturally much prettier.
    Tbh I don't think any of that receptionist's body was in any way natural :p.
  • Options
    Tbh I don't think any of that receptionist's body was in any way natural :p.

Before she'd had the nose job her face was natural and I thought she was really pretty. At least she'd kept up to date with her roots which is more than can be said for the other woman :p
  • Options
    Before she'd had the nose job her face was natural and I thought she was really pretty. At least she'd kept up to date with her roots which is more than can be said for the other woman :p
    I guess so. She was pretty, and I *did* think her nose looked good once she'd had it done. Her hair was lovely. But her belly button looked awful and her stomach in general looked SO unnatural.
  • Options
    Anyway in answer to the question, because the things people are told the "need" to be happy are things that 99% of people will fail to get 99% of the time. It's just a shame that so many people fail to look at the other 99% of people, rather than the 1% in the media.
  • Options
    i need a bigger brain.
  • Options
    i need a bigger brain.

I'd like to make my brain bigger sometimes, i'd like to be smarter then i am, not to say i am dumb or anything though.

My best and oldest mate's girlfriends best friend that i am aquainted with, had a full on massive plastic surgery overhaul. She had her stomach taken in to be thinner, boobs enlarged and something done to her skin to deal with acne scares she had from being young. Now she says she is happier then ever and comfortable with how she looks.

Why people do it, i am not sure, i'd like to improve many things about myself for my own self confidence but i wouldnt turn to surgery for it. For instance id like to be 2 inches taller then i am, then id be 6 foot tall, but i wouldnt go and have my legs sawn through and braces and pins put in to make the bone grow more then re-learn how to walk for it.
  • Options
    Made me smile when that doctors receptionist on Louis Theroux said she had done countless sit-ups to try and reduce her 'fat stomach'. Some people just don't have a clue, and you can bet that plastic surgeon wasn't going to tell her how she should exercise. Just seems like plastic surgery was the easy way... rather than putting effort in, put money in. Horrible scar it left too!
  • Options
    The key to happiness is to realise you're not going to be happy 100% of the time (or something like that)