Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mother Seeks Hysterectomy For Disabled Daughter

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7032736.stm
Katie's mother said the operation would stop her daughter from going through unnecessary suffering.

:confused: She's going on like periods are hell when they're not.

Scope make an interesting point.

Personally, this is something I disagree and my feelings haven't changed when there was a similar story a while back.

Comments

• Options
    i disagree with it too.
    I understand where the mother is coming from, but you just cant go operating on people without real medical necessity. Its unethical
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    i disagree with it too.
    I understand where the mother is coming from, but you just cant go operating on people without real medical necessity. Its unethical
    I agree on this all.
  • Options
    I think the mother has thought deeply about what is best for her daughter, and I'm not going to judge her on that. There are huge degrees of disability when it comes to CP (and I doubt this girl is someone with the same thought capacity as the rest of us, but only in a wheelchair, she could be sub one year developmentally, but without further clarification from the article, there's little to go on) so of course, one treatment for one might not be appropriate for another. I guess there are hormonal medical options, but that also comes with risks of being on a lifetimes worth of medication. There are plenty of operations done that are medically unneccessary (often form some nice pocket money for surgeons) yet no one bats an eyelid. I don't see this as a disabled rights issue as a whole, I think it's more on what an individual family are trying to do regarding what is best for their child.
  • Options
    Surely even if she has a hysterectomy she will be on medication though, even if shes not on plenty for her CP already. She'd probably need HRT after a hysterectomy anyway so why not some other hormone therapy if its just periods that is the issue.
  • Options
    Not sure tbh, I'm sure the consultant would have gone through the various avenues with the mother as hysterectomy is pretty much the most drastic and invasive form of treatment in this case. I wouldn't have thought it would have been the option unless there was a pretty good reason for it.

Don't know though, and I wish the article could have gone into more detail regarding other treatment options and the degree of disability this young lady has.
  • Options
    wasn't there something like this a while ago?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Ballerina wrote: »
    wasn't there something like this a while ago?
    Yeah, and it's referenced in the article. Except that that one was severely worse (IMO).
  • Options
    I can't see how the mother thinks is the best option for her daughter really. Having an organ removed is a major operation, and any surgery can lead to complications and other pains; for example I have adhesions caused by surgery I've had which means some of my organs are stuck together and it can be quite painful sometimes.

Apart from anything, if this is the mothers experience with periods, it sounds like she should see a doctor. If major abdominal surgery would be preferable to her then having periods it sounds like she's not got a 'healthy' experience of them... her daughters could be painless for all she knows.

Plus, is it just me who thinks she's leaving it a bit late to have this decided? I started my periods before I was 13... Surely Katie could start them any time, would they still do the op even after she'd started having them?
  • Options
    Are they arguing for the right to have it done or the right to have it paid for?
  • Options
    To have it done, did you read the article:yeees:
  • Options
    Yeah, it wasn't clear.

I don't agree with any non-essential operations on people who are too young to consent or otherwise.
  • Options
    Personally, although I am uncomfortable about it, I tend to agree that perhaps the mother has a point. Who is going to look after the girl, reassure and support her after her mother is gone? Certainly NOT Scope. I can't see how keeping the girl's reproductive bits intact will benefit her life any better. She already probably feels quite embarrassed about having here body washed down there by someone else - let alone having her monthly period issues 'sorted' out by a third party too.
  • Options
    fence-border.jpg
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Personally, although I am uncomfortable about it, I tend to agree that perhaps the mother has a point. Who is going to look after the girl, reassure and support her after her mother is gone? Certainly NOT Scope. I can't see how keeping the girl's reproductive bits intact will benefit her life any better. She already probably feels quite embarrassed about having here body washed down there by someone else - let alone having her monthly period issues 'sorted' out by a third party too.

That's like cutting a paraplegic's legs off because they get in the way.
  • Options
    That's like cutting a paraplegic's legs off because they get in the way.

Indeed. And in fact, one boy from school had a his paralysed arm removed because it afforded him more freedom of movement to have it removed rather than letting it hang loose or be tucked in somewhere.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    fence-border.jpg

Is there room for me there too?

I can see both sides - everyone is trying to do what's in the girl's best interest. The trouble is there's no agreement on what that is...
  • Options
    Oh, is that what the pic was about - I thought he was posting a rubbish butt flash?
  • Options
    Is there room for me there too?

I can see both sides - everyone is trying to do what's in the girl's best interest. The trouble is there's no agreement on what that is...

Lol - I would quite happily have joined you both up there .. and me kinda agreeing with the mother must make me seem quite 'insensitive'.

The fact is that in years gone by, she would probably have been dead already but for modern medical intervention- and so a hysterectomy is just another step in affording her some decent quality of life.
  • Options
    Mum knows best.
    She sounds like she has seriously considered all the issues.
    the kid has a life expectancy of 25 years and mum obviously looks after her well.
    she wants whats best for her daughter. to make life as comfortable enjoyable and full as possible.
    yes she should be allowed to ahead.

surgery isn't so terrible is it?
    after all ...there seems to be an ever increasing number of healthy peiople who hate themselves so much that they will submit to medical mutilation to have bigger tits smaller noses and so on.
  • Options
    Mum knows best.
    She sounds like she has seriously considered all the issues.
    the kid has a life expectancy of 25 years and mum obviously looks after her well.
    she wants whats best for her daughter. to make life as comfortable enjoyable and full as possible.
    yes she should be allowed to ahead.

Quite.

I saw the mother and the girl in question on TV this morning and the mother obviously cares a lot about the girl's dignity. It's all well and good saying that "periods aren't that bad" but some people (such as me) go through hell once a month, and that, added to the shame of having someone else have to do all the cleaning up for you, can't be a very happy existence. The mother made it expressly clear that she wasn't doing it for herself, but for her daughter.
  • Options
    Rather than removing them enitrely - which is a major operation and takes a long time to recover, why not have her tubes tied?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Rather than removing them enitrely - which is a major operation and takes a long time to recover, why not have her tubes tied?

Will that stop her menstruating and take away period pains etc? I don't know enough on tying tubes in this instance.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Will that stop her menstruating and take away period pains etc? I don't know enough on tying tubes in this instance.

I don't know, if no egg is being released, then the lining isn't made. That's what the doctor told me anyway because the pill has stopped my periods.
  • Options
    Tubal ligation does not stop a woman from having periods.
  • Options
    I can see both sides of the argument, but I think I would say that the mother knows more about it than some spokesman from Scope. It can't be easy for the mother, and I really don't see why this could be seen to form any sort of precedent.

Each case on it's merits, and in this case, I think it should be allowed, as the operations in the US should have been. But I don't think there is a right answer to this; a blanket argument of "disabled rights" certainly isn't it.
  • Options
    I think this is a private matter for the young lady, her family and her doctors. I really feel for the mother being paraded around radio and TV stations to defend her reasoning when in my opinion she shouldn't have to. :yeees: