Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Failings of the British Justice System part 164876

JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
Young yob has been in court today up North for the following offences. To prove the mockery of our justice system i'd like you to guess what sentence this bastion of society should have recieved and what he actually got. I'll reveal the sentence and the source later.
  • Drunk and disorderly
  • Fare evasion
  • Abusive language
  • Threatening behaviour
  • Smashing a bottle over the head of female train crew
  • Punching a train driver in the face
  • Crimimal damage

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well the first few shouldn't attract custodial unless is a persistent repeate offender, but no. 5 & 6 in particular alone should each attract time behind bars. When combined with the others, I would have given the person 3-4 years at least myself.

ETA: as to what he actually got, fuck knows... probably what g angel guessed just below.
  • Options
    £250 fine + costs?
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Young yob has been in court today up North for the following offences. To prove the mockery of our justice system i'd like you to guess what sentence this bastion of society should have recieved and what he actually got. I'll reveal the sentence and the source later.
    • Drunk and disorderly
    • Fare evasion
    • Abusive language
    • Threatening behaviour
    • Smashing a bottle over the head of female train crew
    • Punching a train driver in the face
    • Crimimal damage

Bottling should result in jail time . But it's hard to tell on the others without context, eg how much damage, how hard was the driver bunced (teeth knocked out needs more jail time than a split lip).

I'd go for 18months to 2 years on the bottling, but reserve the right to be tougher or weaker when I know more.

ETA - the above is what I'd sentence him too. As a guess got 180 hours community service
  • Options
    Community service?
  • Options
    A smacked bottom??
  • Options
    A seat of the Board of the Association of Train Operating Companies? ;)
  • Options
    We haven't answered the most important question. Did he put his feet on the seats?

I'd guess at 3-6 months in prison, with time off for good behaviour.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    The answer is:

£100 costs
    £100 compensation (£50 for the guard and £50 for the driver)
    100 hours community service.

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/local-news/Thug-punched-train-driver-and.3252700.jp

Why can't people work in peace and when stuff like this happens why cant the law protect them? What an absolute disgrace. :banghead:
  • Options
    Should be an automatic custodial sentence when you use a weapon. What a load of shit.
  • Options
    Typical sentence tbh, the magistrates and judges are such soft touches it's absurd.
  • Options
    Should be an automatic custodial sentence when you use a weapon. What a load of shit.

why more than using your fists? or gouging their eyes out?

i never get the arguments for manditory sentences, okay i think the sentence is a bit out of order in stupidity, but manditory sentences for weapons are crap (soooo 5 years for a knife but 2 years for a screwdriver :lol:)
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Typical sentence tbh, the magistrates and judges are such soft touches it's absurd.

Tends to be the magistrates rather than the judges, to be quite honest, and that's because magistrates are lay people.

There's been a couple of studies done (can't find the link but read about them in the Law Society Gazette about 18 months ago) whereby lay people are likely to be more lenient that judges because they take into account bad childhoods far more than judges do. They get the sympathy vote.

It's a ridiculous decision, though, and he should have been put in prison for the first four, let alone 5 and 6. I can't understand why he wasn't charged with ABH for the assault, must have been a plea bargain.
  • Options
    What the hell? That's just as bad as the lorry driver who ran over a cylist, nearly killed him (had to have a kidney transplant and other stuff) and was given community service. http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=133464&command=displayContent&sourceNode=133158&contentPK=18527564&folderPk=78031&pNodeId=133174
  • Options
    I'm sorry , £50 for someone who's been bottled? Thats sick - it's like running over someone and running over them again deliberately. It makes you wonder what our country's turning into.
    Disgusted.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Tends to be the magistrates rather than the judges, to be quite honest, and that's because magistrates are lay people.

There's been a couple of studies done (can't find the link but read about them in the Law Society Gazette about 18 months ago) whereby lay people are likely to be more lenient that judges because they take into account bad childhoods far more than judges do. They get the sympathy vote.

It's a ridiculous decision, though, and he should have been put in prison for the first four, let alone 5 and 6. I can't understand why he wasn't charged with ABH for the assault, must have been a plea bargain.

Our working theory is that most (not all by any means) magistrates are from relatively priviledged backgrounds and hand out sentences that would frighten a middle class teenager (ie a younger version of themselves) but in reality do little to deter crime.
  • Options
    My brother had a simular case a few weeks ago, he has been on his final warning since the age of 14, and was told if he got into trouble again, he has 4 times he would do a sentance. His offences up to date are~:

Theft
    Breaking and Entering
    Theft by finding
    Driving without licence
    Driving without valid insrance
    Driving without valid tax and mot
    Driving without protective head gear (was on a minimoto)
    and his latest one
    Assalt by beating, where he randomly beat up a taxi driver because he beeped his horn.

His punishment, £115 fine, 16 hours community service and a gym membership from YOT to channel his anger! I no he's my brother but even I found this disgusting!
  • Options
    The question isn't the length of the sentence. I would be quite happy for a rapist to get a slap on the wrists if it meant he never did it again, and discouraged others from doing it (obviously it doesn't, that's just an example). If these people were receiving these punishments and then going on to lead reformed, productive lives, then I would be happy with the system. The fact is that the majority of them aren't. That's the real issue, not satisfying the Daily Mail headline writers.
  • Options
    The question isn't the length of the sentence. I would be quite happy for a rapist to get a slap on the wrists if it meant he never did it again, and discouraged others from doing it (obviously it doesn't, that's just an example). If these people were receiving these punishments and then going on to lead reformed, productive lives, then I would be happy with the system. The fact is that the majority of them aren't. That's the real issue, not satisfying the Daily Mail headline writers.

And what about justice for the victim?
  • Options
    And what about justice for the victim?

What about it? Sorry for thinking that other potential victims should come first, but it seems that some people would prefer for loads of other people to become victims of the same crime, than give up their chance of revenge (which is essentially what people usually mean by "justice"). I mean look at the "Toughest Sheriff in America." All of his supporters obviously put humiliating the criminal as a higher priority than cutting crime, because reoffending rates are off the scale, yet he keeps getting re-elected. Sorry for thinking that's a bit sick.
  • Options
    What about it? Sorry for thinking that other potential victims should come first, but it seems that some people would prefer for loads of other people to become victims of the same crime, than give up their chance of revenge (which is essentially what people usually mean by "justice"). I mean look at the "Toughest Sheriff in America." All of his supporters obviously put humiliating the criminal as a higher priority than cutting crime, because reoffending rates are off the scale, yet he keeps getting re-elected. Sorry for thinking that's a bit sick.

What's that got to do with it? I never said we shouldn't try rehabilitation - but I also think justice for the victim is just as important. You seem to think that justice for the victim is irrelevant.
  • Options
    What's that got to do with it? I never said we shouldn't try rehabilitation - but I also think justice for the victim is just as important. You seem to think that justice for the victim is irrelevant.

What purpose does it serve?
  • Options
    What purpose does it serve?

Justice for the victim
  • Options
    Justice for the victim

Yeah. What purpose does justice for the victim serve? You get something stolen, your justice is when you get it back. Something get's vandalised, your justice is getting it fixed at the vandal's expense. All the rest is about making sure it doesn't happen again, or deterring others from doing it in the first place. For something like rape or murder, you can't get justice for that, so you resort to revenge instead. You can't take actions back, so you resort to doing something equally bad. Sorry, but I don't think this is the way an independent, rational court should work. I think rapists and murderers should get lengthy (and productive) prison sentences, but seemingly not for the reason you do.
  • Options
    I really don't go along with the idea that the criminal justice system is about rehabilitation, it isn't- it's about punishment.

If you commit a crime against someone you should be punished. The pathetic sentences in this case are not even a deterrent, let alone a punishment.

I'm all for helping people whilst they are serving their punishment, but the punishment should come first. Otherwise what is the point of having any laws? "Oh, I'm sorry, I promise I'll be really good" and you can let people get away with murder, literally.

I don't think punishment means destroying the criminal, either.
  • Options
    Surely and ideally should be about both? Prisoners- those who have commited less serious crimes certainly- come out after a few years. Punishment alone does not deter them from further offending, no matter how horrible you want to make their experience in jail.
  • Options
    Ideally the time spent being punished should be used productively- helping people get off drugs and learn new skills, etc- and there should be far far more support on release. I don't think punishment should be about dragging the offender through the dirt.

But to say that punishment has no place in the criminal justice system is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    But to say that punishment has no place in the criminal justice system is ridiculous.

Why is it? You haven't demonstrated any tangible benefits of it.
  • Options
    It depends on whether you think justice for the victim is a tangible benefit or not.

I think it is. If you've been burgled then seeing the fucker responsible get sent down is closure. That's a tangible benefit.
  • Options
    That's precisely the opposite of a tangible benefit.
  • Options
    What is a tangible benefit then?

Sending a rapist out with a promise to be a good boy next time certainly isn't.