Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Parents disapproving

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Nop not a lot you can do, except hope in time that your dad sees the same thing in him that you do and you can both prove to your dad that he is good for you.

I've got the same problem at the moment. My mum hates the guy I'm seeing cos of how he treated me the last time we were together and a few other bits and pieces. I can't convince her that he is good for me, but hopefully over time we'll show her how good we are together and she'll come round to understanding why I feel like I do about him. Until then it's just gonna be a long hard struggle.
  • Options
    Has your dad met your boyfriend or is he just making assumptions/judgements based on what he's heard?
  • Options
    My parents both hated my ex, for very good reasons.

Even your have to get your guy to show your parents that hes a nice person, or you just might have to accept you cant change their opionions overnight.
  • Options
    Are you upset because you respect your parents' opinions and so, on some level, their dissaproval is either sowing some seeds of doubt in your mind, or watering existing ones, which you wish you didn't have because you want him to be a good guy for you? Or am I over analysing?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Are you upset because you respect your parents' opinions and so, on some level, their dissaproval is either sowing some seeds of doubt in your mind, or watering existing ones, which you wish you didn't have because you want him to be a good guy for you?

That seems pretty spot on to me.
  • Options
    My dad reeeeeally hates the guy I'm seeing and with good reason I guess.

It's the second part that really gets you though, isn't it.

Was it a case of an overly protective father then you could shrug it off, but you know that there is a reason.

Talk to your Dad, tell him that you know that he doesn't like the chap, that you think that everyone should be given a chance and that your happiness is what really matters - regardless of what your parents think of the bloke.

Remember though, Dad will be there if it all goes tits-up.
  • Options
    well after all you are your dads little girl and its only natural for him to be protective.

but at the end of the day it is also right that your boyfriend proves how much he loves you etc as well.

i dont get on with my bfs parents basically cz they still treat him like a 5yr old and dont want him to grow up.
  • Options
    That seems pretty spot on to me.

Go the white grenache wisdom- if only I had known that ten years ago though.
  • Options
    Are you upset because you respect your parents' opinions and so, on some level, their dissaproval is either sowing some seeds of doubt in your mind, or watering existing ones, which you wish you didn't have because you want him to be a good guy for you? Or am I over analysing?

I'd go with this.

Especially as you refer to him as Dick Head Number 3. Hardly a good start...
  • Options
    Some of my friends like to get boyfriends who are a bit dodgy as 'projects'. Often ends in tears though.

But as long as you prepare yourself for the 'I told you so' speech in case things do go wrong, bear in mind your father just wants the best for you and obviously if you're going out with a guy who's got a record it's going to set alarm bells off - but all you can do is prove him wrong :)

Best of luck!
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Has your dad met your boyfriend or is he just making assumptions/judgements based on what he's heard?

Yeah he's met him twice. Once when I was in town with him a while ago and the next time was when he arrested him.
  • Options

Some of that is probably right I already have my doubts but I do really like him.

I knew what he's like before I got involved with him and I don't expect him to change or to become a good boy.
  • Options
    and the next time was when he arrested him.

:eek: :eek2:

... and you wonder why he disapproves!?
  • Options
    Thanks for everyones advice though
  • Options
    Yeah he's met him twice. Once when I was in town with him a while ago and the next time was when he arrested him.

:eek:

To be honest if that's one of the ways they had their first meeting, I reckon it's going to take an awfully long time for your dad to change his mind on your b/f...
    As for practical advice, I think all you can do is make sure your parents hear about how well he is treating you, make sure he is always uber-respectful and polite when he meets them and just hope that he proves himself. Parents have a right to worry about their offsprings' partners, it's just part of caring for you.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    :eek: :eek2:

... and you wonder why he disapproves!?

I know it's bad ... part of me wanders what I am doing

But the other part of me likes and cares about him so much so I will try and make this work whether my dad likes him or not
  • Options

You're not Pepper from Neighbours are you? :)
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    You're not Pepper from Neighbours are you? :)

Yep Im writing from dahn unda now ! :D

Whats Pepper's problem? I don't watch Neighbours
  • Options

Nuff said. Nothing sticks like a bad first impression. Damn that boy has a big moutain to climb.

Out of interest what was he arrested for...?
  • Options

Nuff said. Nothing sticks like a bad first impression. Damn that boy has a big moutain to climb.

Out of interest what was he arrested for...?

Drug related assult breaking and entering a house bulguraly
  • Options
    There is pretty much zero chance I would ever warm to him if I was your father.

Fuck that.

Jesus girl, what ARE you getting yourself into?
  • Options

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ?
    Fuck that.
  • Options
    There is pretty much zero chance I would ever warm to him if I was your father.

Fuck that.

Jesus girl, what ARE you getting yourself into?

I really don't know :(
  • Options
    I really don't know :(

Personally I would say get out of it before you get any deeper.
  • Options
    Personally I would say get out of it before you get any deeper.

:yes: If he's robbing houses, he's obv a scum bag.
  • Options
    Assault is hardly a winner either. Drug related assault?

I'm all for the drugs, but......................................

Breaking and entering. Worse than shit on my shoe.
  • Options
    Assault is hardly a winner either. Drug related assault?

I'm all for the drugs, but......................................

Breaking and entering. Worse than shit on my shoe.

:yes: Get rid hun.
  • Options
    Hmmm, I have to say that I agree with other people's posts.
    You can't really blame your dad for disapproving, espescially after what this guy has done...your dad loves you and is obviously very worried and with very good reason.
    I've got to say, drug related assault, breaking and entering a house and burgalry aren't really just minor offences... are you sure you can trust this geezer?

Having said that, if you really like eachother then all this means fuck all to you, I understand that. You're going to carry on seeing eachother whether your dad likes it or not and I suppose your dad needs time to understand that? Then maybe suggest they meet up for a drink or something and get this guy to really fucking try and be polite and show that he is actually the nice guy that you see.

Good luck.
  • Options

Fucking hell. Nothing small then.

I agree with your father TBH, I wouldn't want my daughter anywhere near this bloke. Hell, I wouldn't want either of my sons anywhere near him either.
  • Options
    I think I know that you're all right. I think my dad's right too but it's hard. My mates think he's gonna mess me around and he already has started doing it and talking to me like crap already and we havent been together that long. Sometimes he's really nice when it's me and him but he changes a bit around other people.

And I know deep down that I should end it but I know it's gonna be hard because I've liked him for so long.

:(