Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tory frontbench MP 'pandering to the BNP'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7020848.stm

Storm in a teacup? Or another case of a Tory surffering from acute Foot-in-Mouth syndrome?

Fuck up if you ask me. A great many people, including many Labour voters, have concerns about the effects mass immigration would have. The difference of course is how 'bad' the situation is according to the various political parties, and how those would deal with it.

We all know what the BNP thinks and would like to do. I don't know exactly what this woman was trying to say but it was breathtakingly stupid of her to say it. Nor that I'm complaining, mind. The more fuck ups by Tory MPs, the more remote their chances of winning an election.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sympathizing with the BNP is always going to put you in a light with the media and the electorate so I think it's very stupid of her.

Though I can't say I'm glad she done it because the Tories and Labour really are two ends of the same shit stick.
  • Options
    She's a peer rather than an MP ;)

And with a name like Sayeeda Warsi I'm guessing that's she's not a closet racist who wants to throw 'pakis' out of the country.

She's not sympathising with the BNP, but trying to say that people vote for them because they feel left out of the political process and that mainstream parties don't listen to their views. She's saying that to stop the BNP political parties need to recognise that many of the people who vote BNP do have real concerns and feel they're not being listened to by mainstream parties who are out of touch.

If I was her I'd be suing for slander and libel those who are suggesting she's racist and is legitimising the BNP, when's she clearly not.
  • Options

She's not sympathising with the BNP, but trying to say that people vote for them because they feel left out of the political process and that mainstream parties don't listen to their views. She's saying that to stop the BNP political parties need to recognise that many of the people who vote BNP do have real concerns and feel they're not being listened to by mainstream parties who are out of touch.
    A great many people have serious concerns about immigration. But most of them have the intelligence/basic human decency (delete as appropriate) not to support the one party which solution to the problem is to put all darkies, Muzzies and assorted non-white non-British 'scum' on the first plane out.

Anyone who supports the BNP is supporting an avenue that is too unspeakable and nauseating for words, and deserves all the contempt that comes to them. They don't deserve any 'understanding' from anyone, least of all form a mainstream politician who should know better.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    A great many people have serious concerns about immigration. But most of them have the intelligence/basic human decency (delete as appropriate) not to support the one party which solution to the problem is to put all darkies, Muzzies and assorted non-white non-British 'scum' on the first plane out.

Anyone who supports the BNP is supporting an avenue that is too unspeakable and nauseating for words, and deserves all the contempt that comes to them. They don't deserve any 'understanding' from anyone, least of all form a mainstream politician who should know better.

That seems like a recipe to allow the BNP to carry on growing unchallenged...

There are three types of BNP voters

1) Pure nazis, who believe in White Power and think it's a shame we didn't akky with hitler against Stalin

2) people who aren't happy with the more extreme forms of BNP racism, but hold there nose and vote for them because the BNP says it will get them a house and some cash

3) people who simply haven't picked up that the BNP is a fascist party. We know it because we're politically literate, but look at BNP election material and its not about sending immigrants back, but about tougher border controls, voluntary reperation, more police on the street, a better NHS, greater control over multi-nationals

Now, you probably can't do anything about group one, but if you want the BNP to return to what it was (ie a part with no councillors and no chance of having any), you do need to recognise that many people who vote for them aren't signed up members of Combat 18, but people who rightly or wrongly feel the state has failed them and been suckered into the BNP's populist solutions.
  • Options
    That is fair enough. But IMO the approach this woman has taken is completely wrong.

To say BNP voters 'have some legitimate concerns' gives credibility to that party. What we should all be doing is expose the BNP as the bunch of not only racists but also liars they are, so those stupid enough to have swallowed their garbage and fabrications can see they have been had.
  • Options
    If I was her I'd be suing for slander and libel those who are suggesting she's racist and is legitimising the BNP, when's she clearly not.

You can't sue someone for calling you a racist and saying you're legitimising the BNP. It's an opinion, not a matter of fact. But I wouldn't expect her to sue, because I would guess she actually believes in freedom of speech.
  • Options
    You can't sue someone for calling you a racist and saying you're legitimising the BNP. It's an opinion, not a matter of fact. But I wouldn't expect her to sue, because I would guess she actually believes in freedom of speech.

I think you could sue for being called a racist (unless you are off course). though my comment was slightly tongue in cheek
  • Options
    That is fair enough. But IMO the approach this woman has taken is completely wrong.

To say BNP voters 'have some legitimate concerns' gives credibility to that party. What we should all be doing is expose the BNP as the bunch of not only racists but also liars they are, so those stupid enough to have swallowed their garbage and fabrications can see they have been had.

But I can't see what's wrong with saying BNP voters have legitimate concerns - because many of them have. She's saying that parties need to address these concerns. Not that the BNP have the right answers, but that the mainstream parties do.
  • Options
    However there is a very real danger by making such comments she is suggesting the problems exist to the extent the BNP is suggesting, i.e. completely overrun by immigration to the point of total collapse, "white British families" being kicked out of their home homes to make room for illegal immigrant darkies, mega-mosques being built under the Heathrow flightpath with the sole intention of giving the impression to oversea visitors that Britain is a Muslim country, and countless other lies, shit-stirring and fabrications the nazi boys have come up with over the years.

The point being (and frankly I don't care if anyone concerned is offended) that anyone who votes for the BNP is a complete fucking idiot if not a racist piece of shit. They need telling off, not sympathy from politicians.
  • Options
    However there is a very real danger by making such comments she is suggesting the problems exist to the extent the BNP is suggesting, i.e. completely overrun by immigration to the point of total collapse, "white British families" being kicked out of their home homes to make room for illegal immigrant darkies, mega-mosques being built under the Heathrow flightpath with the sole intention of giving the impression to oversea visitors that Britain is a Muslim country, and countless other lies, shit-stirring and fabrications the nazi boys have come up with over the years.

The point being (and frankly I don't care if anyone concerned is offended) that anyone who votes for the BNP is a complete fucking idiot if not a racist piece of shit. They need telling off, not sympathy from politicians.

It's her political enemies who are trying to make it she said something she didn't. I haven't seen the full Independent article, but nothing I've seen reported strikes me as legitimising the BNP or supporting their views. However she seems to be advocating an approach to deal with the BNP rather than shouting 'racism's bad' and then burying her head in the sand as the BNP thunder by.

what does cause problems is that when ever any attempt is made to discuss issues like this there are certain sections of the media and politicians, who automatically scream racist in the hope of smearing their opponents. They're the ones who are going to cause us problems in cohesion, not those who try and deal with it.
  • Options

You should know by now, you can't have an opinion as a politician. You risk offending potential voters. Or more accurately, you can't have an opinion that everyone else doesn't agree with. Drugs are bad m'kay, religion is good and TV, films, music and videogames being undeniably linked to violence are perfectly acceptable opinions.
  • Options
    I think you could sue for being called a racist (unless you are off course). though my comment was slightly tongue in cheek

Figured it might've been. But how the hell can you sue for being called a racist. That's like suing someone for calling you fat. There's no way you can prove or disprove it, because it's an opinion.
  • Options

The politics of frustration can be a strong factor in political ideology. If you feel let down by your traditional party, you go to the extremes.