Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Children, Piercings, Ethics, Opinions.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it ok for children, under 14s, to be pierced? I think yes, with a bit of thought and the child, parents, and piercer agree.

Comments

• Options
    i think its ok for minor piercings, as long as the child is old enough to consent.
    I would say genital or nipple piercings should be over 16, but ears or bellybuttons or noses etc, i dont see why couldnt be done younger.

Not on babies or toddlers though :no:
  • Options
    over say, 6/7 yes, but i know someone who got there 5/6m olds ears peirced, that just pissed me right off and is.. WRONG
  • Options
    Had my ears pierced when I was 6 months, quite good as I didn't have to go through remembering the pain! It was the fashion then.
    Don't see anything wrong with having the ears pierced once, anymore then it's a no.
    Other parts of the body should be left 'til they are 16.
  • Options
    All 6 of my piercings i got before i was 14 (just had 1 redone). I saw a toddler with her ears pierced today, i don't like it on young children. I think its ok as long as the child asks for it and has made up their own mind (got my ears done for the first time when i was 8). I got mine quite young...ears at 8, then the top of my ear at 9/10, then my lobes done again at 11, then belly button at 13. I knew alot that were getting them done younger though. I really wanted them doing and i bugged my parents for ages. I don't regret getting them done young.
  • Options
    Just lobes can be done once someones 12ish and able to understand that they have to look after their peircing properly. Anything else included other percings should be left until there 16 (18+ for gentail percings)

I really hate seeing under-5's with ear peircings. Espeically when its being done in some where like Claries Accsesories. I've had to leave the store before to stop myself saying something.
  • Options
    why cant you get yours peiced saz?
  • Options
    i think it's fine for 7 year olds to have your ears pierced, but anything else i really think should be left till 18, because they can get infected so quickly and i know very few people of 14 or 16 that would clean something like that every day for 2 or 3 months like i had to with some of mine...i think i got my industrial piercing too young, i love it but it wasn't done correctly...
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    mum doesn't want me to and is really strict on morals etc, she wasn't allowed hers done till she was 21 either (and didn't get them done at all in the end). One of her mates had a really bad experience of colliflower ear from her first piercing which probably put her off as well
    so, legally she cant stop you, i find it silly how people do this, i dont get why people do everything there parents say after the age they can make there own choices, sorry saz but its kinda silly
  • Options
    I'm not sure on the age, but the child should be able to make a decision for themself about it, so certainly not young children.
  • Options
    When the child is old enough to make a informed decision. My son had his ear done at 12...
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    mum doesn't want me to and is really strict on morals etc, she wasn't allowed hers done till she was 21 either (and didn't get them done at all in the end). One of her mates had a really bad experience of colliflower ear from her first piercing which probably put her off as well

That seems a bit unreasonable. Pleanty of people get their ears done fine, if you get it done properly, preferably with a needle (although i've had all mine done with guns no problem) you should be fine. Some people can have bad reactions but live and learn.
  • Options
    I would say genital or nipple piercings should be over 16.
    who would get their body pierced there? that would hurt and most likely be uncomfortable.
  • Options
    endofwar wrote: »
    who would get their body pierced there? that would hurt and most likely be uncomfortable.

I knwo lots of people......though personally I think it mings
  • Options
    but on your genitals? that might hurt.
  • Options
    i went on a date with a guy who had a cock ring urgh! and a mate of mine has the hood of her clit done.....again urgh!
  • Options
    yea but that would be uncomfortable or hurt if you were being intimate with peircings like that on you.
  • Options
    apparently it heightens sensitivity. don't think they'd do it if it was uncomfortable
  • Options
    Well i dont know but that would sure hurt while they put it in(the piercing)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    However that feels, the thought alone disgusts me. :yuck:
  • Options
    I had my ears done when i was 1 and if i have a daughter then i will have hers done at the same age. As far as other piercings are concerned, other ear piercings, bellybutton and nose should be 16 and intimate piercings should be 18/21.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    i went on a date with a guy who had a cock ring urgh! and a mate of mine has the hood of her clit done.....again urgh!

Didn't take long to find out then I see. ;)

Personally, I reckon it should be when the child asks for it themselves. It's not as if it's especially permanent like a tattoo or something. If they change their mind later, they can just choose not to wear anything and it'll close up.

Just wondering what people's opinions are, considering everyone considers this to be wrong, on baby boys being circumcised for non-medical reasons. Is this not far worse than any piercing?
  • Options
    i think its dodgy ethically to pierce a baby, even if it is just ears.
    Ive got no problem at all with extreme body art, piercings whatever, but when it comes to piercing or doing unnecessary surgery on babies and children Im dead against it.
    ANYTHING done to a child should be because they specifically have requested it and its been thought about and discussed or there is a prior medical condition that necessitates it.

I dont see why 18 should be a limit when you can leave home and get married at 16
  • Options

Personally, I reckon it should be when the child asks for it themselves. It's not as if it's especially permanent like a tattoo or something. If they change their mind later, they can just choose not to wear anything and it'll close up.

I can agree to the above
    Just wondering what people's opinions are, considering everyone considers this to be wrong, on baby boys being circumcised for non-medical reasons. Is this not far worse than any piercing?

Circumsision is far more controversial. I don't agree to children being cirumsised for non-medical reasons. If they want to do it, it should be carried out when they're adults and can make their own decision. After all circumsision is irreversible.
  • Options

haha no, part of the reason he only got one date!
  • Options
    T-Kay wrote: »
    I can agree to the above

Circumsision is far more controversial. I don't agree to children being cirumsised for non-medical reasons. If they want to do it, it should be carried out when they're adults and can make their own decision. After all circumsision is irreversible.
    Circumcision is an awful lot more painful for a grown man, they have to avoid erections for several days afterwards.

Being circumsised is much more hygenic.

As for piercings I had my ears done at 13 I can't stand it on small children. I think body piercings shouldn't be done until 18 when a person has done most of their growing.
  • Options
    Asta wrote: »
    Circumcision is an awful lot more painful for a grown man, they have to avoid erections for several days afterwards.

Automatic circumcision of young boys is an interesting topic. I'm sure you're taking the piss though.

I had my ears pierced when I was very little- maybe 2, can't remember. My 7 yr old wants hers done, which I think is fine. I went to my piercer who says he doesn't do under 14s though, which is what prompted me to bring up the debate. I will be taking her to get them done, just not with a gun, and not from somewhere dodgy like Claire's. I thought about gettin gher ears done when she was younger and though I didn't see anything wrong with it really (hypocritical, but based on the cultural experience of having mine done young perhaps) I didn't get around to it, and thought I might as well wait until she asked. One of the issues will be sports though- she'll have to wear plasters over the piercings during PE, games, and dance too maybe? That'll be a pain in the arse.

I know someone with a ring in his willy, and a set of little ball inplants under his foreskin on the shaft too, te he.
  • Options

I can agree to it being more painful for adults. However, as an adult you are able to give your consent being aware of consequences while as a small child or infant you are not.

This argument is only valid if you compare a circumsised man to a uncircumsised who is not being hygienic. Clean regularly, and you'll be just as clean. But I can agree to circumsise babies if there are any severe medical problems.
    As for piercings I had my ears done at 13 I can't stand it on small children. I think body piercings shouldn't be done until 18 when a person has done most of their growing.

Agree to the above.
  • Options
    I hate the way piercings look on babies and toddlers. It looks really cheap and nasty
  • Options
    Based on what? I know it may sound like a stupid question, but how the hell do you know that? Not being circumcised at all is a lot less painful that having an unnecessary operation.
    Utter bullshit. If you don't wash, maybe. For those of us who own a shower, however...
  • Options
    An intersting point I found out last time I got peircing: While its not illegal to pierce under-16s, if a complaint is made the person who did the piercing can be changed with common assult. (which why the good places will have over-16s only rules)