Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What to wear underneath...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...a broderie anglaise dress?

My boyfriend bought me a beautiful vintage dress for my birthday. It's black and white and made of broderie anglaise...it has thick white straps, a black bodice and a full fifties-style skirt which is horizontally striped black and white (bit difficult to describe, but lovely). Anyway, so far I've worn it out a few times with a black boob tube and black leggings underneath as - being made of broderie anglaise - it has tiny holes all over it and is more or less see-through. That's been fine to wear to gigs and stuff as it's looked quite retro and casual, but I want to wear it to a posh party at a posh hotel and am not sure what to wear under it for that. The boob tube will still be fine, so the top part of the dress isn't a problem, but leggings won't really be any good as they make it look too casual. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    an underskirt type thing? or tights instead of leggings? worn with the rigth shoes it shouldnt look too casual
  • Options
    Actually, an underskirt isn't a bad idea...maybe a black petticoat type thing...hmmm. Might have a look for one of them, cheers :thumb:
  • Options
    white underskirt is the first thing that comes to mind.
  • Options
    marks and spencers would be the place to look for an underskirt/petticoat/slip/whatever theyre called these days.
  • Options
    Do you think white would be better than black then? I realise it's hard to say as you haven't seen the dress...

I was just thinking, maybe I could get one of those underskirts that has a bit of netting on it, to make the skirt stick out a bit. Like a prom dress. Might be a bit too much though...not sure. Also the skirt is calf length so might not be able to find one long enough.