Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Yorkshire puddings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Despite using a non-stick tin AND making sure it was well oiled beforehand, my yorkshire puddings still stick in the tin. Anyone got any suggestions? We've been eating the 'top' of Yorkshire puddings for months because the bottoms are burnt and get wasted. :(

Comments

• Options
    Buy them already done.

Problem solved :thumb:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    What about lining the tin with some baking paper?
  • Options
    What about lining the tin with some baking paper?

I like it, thanks!

I'd rather not buy them, they're just not the same.
  • Options
    Do you heat the pan with oil in it before putting in the mixture? Needs to be hot or it'll stick.
  • Options
    The oil needs to be sitting in the pan as well, not just used to grease it. Like Vicky said it needs to be as hot as you can get it before you put the mixture in, and then get it back the hot oven as soon as you can.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    Do you heat the pan with oil in it before putting in the mixture? Needs to be hot or it'll stick.

I was gonna suggest the same thing .. I've found even on a non stick tray oven chips stick to it unless you first heat the tray in the oven before putting the food on it.
  • Options
    Yes, I use about a tablespoon maybe more, of oil and heat the pan in the over until it's super hot. Then I use a pastry brush to spread the hot oil around the inside of the sections of the tin.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Yes, I use about a tablespoon maybe more, of oil and heat the pan in the over until it's super hot. Then I use a pastry brush to spread the hot oil around the inside of the sections of the tin.

That may be cooling it down, I just pour it straight in.
  • Options
    Ah the old Yorkshire Pudding dilema :)

I've been making them for years and had some spectacular disasters and some pretty good ones. I think I've found (for me) the perfect recipe. There's loads about using different quantities of egg/flour/milk/water as well as type of flour and leaving it to stand or not. It seems to me to be a process of finding the right one that works for you.

Here's mine, sufficient to make 6 bun tin puddings, 4 Yorshire pudding tin puddings or a small/medium roasting tin one. Just double/triple up for larger quantities.

2.5 oz Strong (bread) plain flour
    1 egg at room temperature
    5 fl oz Milk
    Pinch of salt

Sieve the flour twice (to get plenty of air into it) into a large roomy bowl. Add the egg, salt, and half the milk and beat to a smooth lump free paste, scrapping down the mixture from the sides of the bowl.

Add the remainder of the milk and beat for at least 2 minutes with an electric whisk (longer if doing it by hand) to get as much air into it as possible.

Leave to stand for 30 minutes. This gives the gluten in the flour time to absorb moisture so it can stretch easier and give you a good rise. Ooo err :)

As people have said your tin must be as hot as possible, about 230c, with a tablespoon or so of oil in it. You want the tin so hot you can see a haze of smokey fat coming from it.

Place the tin on a flat surface, pour the mixture in in one go and put straight into the oven and leave it there. No peeking to see how it's doing or it'll go flat. Turn the oven down to about 210/200 and cook for about 15-20 minutes.

If all has gone well you'll have a pud/puds well risen, light and crispy round the sides and soft and squidgy in the middle, just how it should be.
  • Options
    Don't know fuck all about making them not stick or making them in the first place but all I can say is :yum::yum::yum:

Could eat them all day!
  • Options
    For perfect yorkshire puddings....

100g plain flour
    3 large eggs
    250ml of milk
    pinch of salt

Sift flour and salt together, add eggs and whisk until smooth. Add milk a bit at a time and whisk until smooth and lump free. (I actually pass it through a sieve) Heat plenty of oil in the tin until very hot. Add mixture as soon as you take the tin out of the oven and get it straight back in the oven as soon as poss.:thumb:

Im gonna nip to tesco and get some beef now, fancy a sunday dinner!!

Also I love cold yorskshire puddings with jam on!:love::love::love::love:
  • Options
    Yeah I no wrote: »

Also I love cold yorskshire puddings with jam on!:love::love::love::love:

:crazyeyes

Moving on...

I use a ceramic dish, le stick not