Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Epilators

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do they give good results? Are they very painful? And how long does the hair have to be for them to work?

Can anyone reccomend a good one for me?

Comments

• Options
    epilators generally do a good job, but i find they are painful!
  • Options
    what the heck are epilators???:chin:
  • Options
    glamgurl36 wrote: »
    what the heck are epilators???:chin:

They are a small machine for the removal of unwanted hair. They look a bit likle a shaver but actually pull the hairs out rather than cut then off. It like it has lots of pairs of tiny tweezers.

I've got this one:

230231006.jpg
  • Options
    Asta wrote: »
    Do they give good results? Are they very painful? And how long does the hair have to be for them to work?

Can anyone reccomend a good one for me?

In my experience I get good results, it's much less messy than home waxing and it works out pretty cheap as once you've bought the thing you can use it for years. It is very easy to use. In my experience it doesn't hurt much although I have fine blonde hairs, it hurts a little more on underarms. It can remove pretty short hairs (2mm say) and the re-growth time is comparable to waxing.

There are ways to reduce the pain such as using an ice pack and making sure the skin is really stretched out . Also some people recommend a dusting of talc on your skin prior to use. But to be honest it doesn't really hurt anyway so I can't be bothered!
  • Options
    I found the first couple of times I used it it stung a little, but now I can barely feel it. Good results, too!
  • Options
    Ooooh I might get one.

How much are they??
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Ooooh I might get one.

How much are they??

Mine was £60 but you can get them much cheaper if you search around.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Mine was £60 but you can get them much cheaper if you search around.
    Awesome :thumb:.
  • Options
    Are they better than using shaving foam/shower gel and a razor blade? When I use these, I always get razor rash/cuts. :(
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Are they better than using shaving foam/shower gel and a razor blade? When I use these, I always get razor rash/cuts. :(

Well there are no blades on an eplilator so it's almost impossible to cut yourself!

The hair is plucked out so the smoothness lasts a lot longer and the re-growth is much finer so no stubble.

It takes longer to do though (about 15 minutes) and it's obviously more expensive to begin with although you would save money over time compared to buying disposable razors.
  • Options
    I bought an epilator once. THe first time I used it was on a hairy danger zone. I got about 5 hairs out, was the most pain ever and never used it since. Probably not the best place to start using something like that, but it really put me off. Waxing all the way :p
  • Options
    I'm rather tempted to try it actually. Fed up with razors and the cuts :(
  • Options
    i had one and used it a few times, but it gave me awful awful ingrown hairs so have gone back to shaving.
  • Options
    cool thanks...i think i want one too:flirt:
  • Options
    I've been considering one as well. Actually my first experience sounds exactly like Manda's, I unleashed it on my furry leg and it was a killer and I stopped almost right away from pain and didn't touch it since. Since then two of my friends fell in love with it and said that after they got through the first few times it didn't really hurt anymore and they loved the results.
    Now only if I could find mine...
  • Options
    The only problem i have with my epilator is that it takes a little while longer than shaving and stuff, and the fact my leg hairs are quite blonde so i sometimes mis some bits because they are hard to see! But as the hairs are getting ripped out from the root they take a while to grow back. I think mine was about £30-£40 from argos.
  • Options
    Thanks to this thread I have just popped to Argos and bought myself an epilator....I have been thinking about getting one for a while and just never got round to it. I have used it on my legs and underarms and it did hurt a bit, but once I got used to the sensation it was ok and the results are pretty good.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I think I'll get one.

Is it better to get a more expensive one?
  • Options
    Asta wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses! I think I'll get one.

Is it better to get a more expensive one?

My mate has had a dead cheap one for years and its still going fine.

I think the main thing with more expensive ones is that sometimes you get different heads and setting for them plus mine has a light on it. Plus mine came with an ice pack and some type of wet wipes (which I've never used)!
  • Options
    Absolute agony.

I'm the type of person who'll happilly sit and pluck her top lip, wax her legs, wax her lip, but epilate... fuck no. I was bought one for Christmas - tried it once, and it went straight back to the shop. I was appalled at how painful it was.
  • Options
    Absolute agony.

I'm the type of person who'll happilly sit and pluck her top lip, wax her legs, wax her lip, but epilate... fuck no. I was bought one for Christmas - tried it once, and it went straight back to the shop. I was appalled at how painful it was.

You took it back after you'd used it? :eek2:
  • Options
    Of course.... "If you are not satisfied with this product....."