Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Student tasered at John Kerry Speech

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bVa6jn4rpE

It doesn't sit well with me that a guy asking a political figure questions, albeit in a heightened state of animation, can be so readily man-handled - and subsequently tasered. It really does make me feel uneasy watching the video.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    'oww owww owwwwww'

bunch of pussies shoulda started a riot ;)
  • Options
    Ridiculous to be fucking tasered for that!!!!!

I'd have smashed their faces in after they stopped tasing
  • Options
    Hmmm, I don't agree with him being tasered, the Americans' usage of a taser is a lot more prevalent than here anyway. TBH though he should have just walked out when he was told to instead of dancing around screaming.
  • Options
    Thats horrible! What did he actually do to deserve being treated like that? Or is asking questions an arrestable offence nowadays...
  • Options
    Here's another clip that shows more clearly what happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De1shHUwO_E&mode=related&search=
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    Here's another clip that shows more clearly what happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De1shHUwO_E&mode=related&search=

:D

What about the 1st Ammendment and Free Speech and all that shite, Americans are the first to bring that up when someone criticises them and now this. Pack of wankers.
  • Options
    land of the free? Bah.
  • Options
    Pretty shocking. Two of the officers involved have rightly been placed on leave. There is also an investigation taking place. Story. Officers involved should be sacked really.
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    land of the free? Bah.

Not too different to forcibly kicking an 82 year old man out of the Labour Party conference...
  • Options
    There was a point in the video where the other students clapped and cheered when they thought the student in question was going to be removed. It makes me wonder whether they really understood what was taking place.
  • Options
    fucking sick.

The police in the states complain bitterly whenever they aren't equipped with tasers, and then when they are shit like this happens.

What makes it even worse is that it make for a strang arguement for not equipping police with stun guns, which in the end means that more people die because the police have no choice but to shoot them.
  • Options
    I agree, he should have been removed if he wasnt going to listen and just wanted to rant. But tasering the guy was out of order. Another trigger happy american.
  • Options
    Oh my goodness, that was disgusting!!

I'm actually in shock at that...maybe I am very naive :chin:
  • Options
    The tazer was completely unnecessary.
  • Options
    Love how no one in the audience tries to help him, they just sit there and yell 'police brutality!' as if that's going to make them stop.
  • Options
    Obviously they had it on "protesting student" setting.
  • Options
    I'm not sure exxactly when this took place,but if kerry was the front runner for the democrats nomination for president, or the nominee, then that's why the poor bugger got tasered.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    I'm not sure exxactly when this took place,but if kerry was the front runner for the democrats nomination for president, or the nominee, then that's why the poor bugger got tasered.

not allowed to question someone?
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »

Pretty unlikely I think. Kerry isn't running anyway but this whole episode is politically damaging for Kerry anyway. And whilst the struggle was going on Kerry said he wanted to answer the question..
  • Options
    Its not like the kid said, "im gonna blow up your house", or anything. I;m outraged by what they did. But, its not like they havent done something that before. Kerry was going to answer the question anyways. He was already cuffed when the tased him. He shouldnt have even been forced to leave.
  • Options
    i thought taser was supposed to be a last resort to restrain someone, the dude was being sat on by 5 or 6 pigs in handcuffs i suppose he was a real threat, guess we have a whole lot of fun to look forward to with tasers being rolled out over here.....that's the sort of shit i hate about america, they rant on about democracy and freedom abroad and they can't even get it right in their own backyard :banghead: .....i really wish i hadn't watched that clip 3 days before flying out there tho lol, better keep my mouth shut but i am tempted to get a "don't tase me bro" t-shirt to wear while i'm out there now :lol:
  • Options
    Well a few years ago when i was a senior in high school, i had an anti-war shirt and got sued by the school. Thats america for you.
  • Options
    The resort to violence is endemic in American structures of Law Enforcement and governance. It constantly shows itself to be so.

The time to worry is not simply when the great and good are making radical statements; its when ordinary people are carrying them out.
  • Options
    i thought taser was supposed to be a last resort to restrain someone.

it's not.

Stun guns are billed as a safe alternative to firearms; to be used only in situations where the only alternative is to shoot the person that the police are trying to detain. The sad truth of the matter is that most police forces make it clear the stun guns can be used on 'aggressive or non compliant' persons.
  • Options
    That's fucking disgusting. There is absolutely no reason that that many cops would ever have to use a taser to restrain someone, especially when they're already pinned to the floor. I hope they get the book thrown at them. This weapon should be banned straight away. It's worse than a gun. There's not much chance of a police officer using a gun to restrain someone because they can't be bothered to do their job properly or as a threat for a non-compliant arrestee.
  • Options
    i thought taser was supposed to be a last resort to restrain someone, the dude was being sat on by 5 or 6 pigs in handcuffs i suppose he was a real threat, guess we have a whole lot of fun to look forward to with tasers being rolled out over here.....that's the sort of shit i hate about america, they rant on about democracy and freedom abroad and they can't even get it right in their own backyard :banghead: .....i really wish i hadn't watched that clip 3 days before flying out there tho lol, better keep my mouth shut but i am tempted to get a "don't tase me bro" t-shirt to wear while i'm out there now :lol:

Seriously dude, I'd buy a "Don't tase' me Bro" t-shirt! :D
  • Options
    i thought taser was supposed to be a last resort to restrain someone,

In the UK it is, in the USA you'd best be wearing a thick jumper ;)
  • Options
    i really wish i hadn't watched that clip 3 days before flying out there tho lol, better keep my mouth shut

And that would be a success for this psychological operation. It has done its job.

Recently Chief Con(trol freak) Richard Brunstrom put this warning in observer's heads:

"you will not enjoy the consequences of disobedience"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/6980867.stm
  • Options
    Seriously dude, I'd buy a "Don't tase' me Bro" t-shirt! :D

Haha I was laughing when he said "Don't tase' me Bro" hahaha
  • Options
    This weapon should be banned straight away. It's worse than a gun.

Banned? stun guns save lives. It's the manner in which they are used that needs to be changed.
  • Options
    The fact that it can be used against 'non-compliant persons' is a testament to what I previously said. That means civil disobedience can be met with painful and violent repression.

Less-Lethal interventions (as AA Rage Junky already stated) can save lives where more lethal methods would traditionally have been used. Unfortunately, it appears that raher than replacing lethal force in the last instant; the taser has become an added weapon that can be used more frely and more readily.

This will also have significant symbolic implications for global perception of America and American society.