Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

New environmentally friendly, abundant fuel source found?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, thats jumping the gun a lot, but exciting stuff. Saltwater:

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2007/09/will-salt-water.html

:chin:

Comments

• Options
    might help to keep those pesky sea levels down as the ice caps melt...:chin:
  • Options
    I can't tell if you're joking or not- Do sea levels rise when ice-caps melt?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Yes.
  • Options
    Yes, he's joking; or yes, he thinks the sea level rises when ice-caps melt?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Yes, he's joking; or yes, he thinks the sea level rises when ice-caps melt?
    Of course it rises. Test it yourself, fill a measuring cap to the middle with water, put an ice cube and check again when it melts. If common sense isn't enough.
  • Options
    I was thinking more like, like in an ice tray, watch as the ice melts, see the level go down- but your way I see new ice introduced to an area of water...
  • Options
    If all the ice on both Poles melted sea levels would go up by a rather considerable amount, and thousands of coastal cities would be truly fucked.
  • Options
    lol thats pretty cool. who cares about global warming, we'll just the burn the rising seas!

wonder how long it will take america to turn it into a weapon.
  • Options

that's what I've heard.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    lol thats pretty cool. who cares about global warming, we'll just the burn the rising seas!

wonder how long it will take america to turn it into a weapon.

we've already got top men working one it... top men.
  • Options
    Higher temperatures may be causing some floating icebergs to melt, but this will not make the oceans rise. Icebergs are large floating chunks of ice. In order to float, the iceberg displaces a volume of water that has a weight equal to that of the iceberg.

But the rising temperature and icebergs could play a small role in the rising ocean level. Icebergs are chunks of frozen glaciers that break off from landmasses and fall into the ocean. The rising temperature may be causing more icebergs to form by weakening the glaciers, causing more cracks and making ice more likely to break off. As soon as the ice falls into the ocean, the ocean rises a little.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Higher temperatures may be causing some floating icebergs to melt, but this will not make the oceans rise. Icebergs are large floating chunks of ice. In order to float, the iceberg displaces a volume of water that has a weight equal to that of the iceberg.

But the rising temperature and icebergs could play a small role in the rising ocean level. Icebergs are chunks of frozen glaciers that break off from landmasses and fall into the ocean. The rising temperature may be causing more icebergs to form by weakening the glaciers, causing more cracks and making ice more likely to break off. As soon as the ice falls into the ocean, the ocean rises a little.

the antartic has a massive landmass under it..... it's all above sea level
  • Options
    oh right, la la la, guess I wasn't listening in geology!
  • Options
    seems a bit dodgy to me, like the cold fusion crap about 15 years ago
  • Options
    I think the difference is fusion energy produces a massive amount of energy but you need very rare fuels and very very specific conditions.

In this case, you can get normal salt water (de ionised? guessing) and resonate it, and extract / burn the hydrogen which is a clean fuel with no hazardous waste and has no nasty emissions.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think the difference is fusion energy produces a massive amount of energy but you need very rare fuels and very very specific conditions.

In this case, you can get normal salt water (de ionised? guessing) and resonate it, and extract / burn the hydrogen which is a clean fuel with no hazardous waste and has no nasty emissions.

fusion doesn't need rare fuels, just hydrogen and duterium(isotope of hydrogen) both of which are abundant in sea water

the only problems with fusion are maintaining the pressure and temperature required, and as we aren't a star we can't rely on gravity :p so we have to use magnetic fields to hold it close together

to make sure it's not a hoax i've been reading what i can, it appears it isn't really a fuel as per such, since you'll need more energy to make the hydrogen (in the form of radio waves) no matter what you do than what you get from burning the hydrogen ie water since its jsut a water -> hydrogen + oxygen -> water system, and no energy conversion system is 100,%, even if it was the enrgy you got from the hydrogen would only be enoguh to power the radiowave producer

thats assuming it's not just a big hoax like the guy who invented an antigravity machine 25 years ago who would have to have converted angular momentum into linear momentum (impossible)

it's a bit iffy really
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    If all the ice on both Poles melted sea levels would go up by a rather considerable amount, and thousands of coastal cities would be truly fucked.

...and Rhyl will finaly be destroyed ...yippeeee!