Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Advice needed on turning a baby

Hello all, been a while since I posted on here I know but I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice.

I will be 35 weeks pregnant on saturday and baby is still transverse (sp?) and making absolutely no attempt to engage.

I bought a gym ball 3-4 weeks ago which I sit on for at least 2 hours a day and that isn't helping, I try getting on all 4's and that doesn't seem to make much difference either.
I'm starting to think I will never give birth.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Félix was still breech at 35 weeks but he turned by about 37 weeks.
    My nana told me that with one of her babys he didnt turn until the night before she went into labour - she was all set for a breech birth and everything.
    If your baby is still transverse by the time you are full term, they will probably either scan you to check position of the placenta (if the placenta is short that could be why he hasnt turned and it could make turning him dangerous) and if its all ok, will try and turn him for you, although you dont have to agree to that. Either that (and most likely they will offer you a caesarian section, as unlike a breech, its not possible to vaginally birth a transverse baby.

There is also an acupressure technique called moxibuston which has about a 70% success rate although noone knows why. I was going to consider that if my baby didnt turn naturally. It sounds funy and hippified and involves burning some candles with certain oils on them on your toes!!!!!!
    As I said, noone knows why it works. worth googling?
  • Options
    thanks SCC.
    I was just worried that if she doesn't turn she isn't going to engage in which case how is she ever going to come out naturally?

If she did turn last minute can her engaging be almost instant? iykwim.

I've read all kinds of suggestions online, one even says to ask baby to move! Doesn't seem to be working, she just ignores me lol.
  • Options
    Well in first babies, the head usually engages a few weeks in advance, but in subsequent babies the head doesnt usually engage until labour actually begins, so the head engaging isnt the only trigger for labour to start, it is just sometimes one of them.

How do you feel about the possiblility of a C section if she doesnt turn?
    Although at 35 weeks, you still do have plenty of time, seriously, even if it doesnt feel like it to you now.
  • Options
    I'd be quite happy to have a c-section (lucky for her I'm not the bikini wearing type).
    I'll do what ever it takes to make sure she's delivered healthily, even if it means chopping my arm off, for some insane reason.
  • Options
    Have you tried swimming? I remember my midwife suggesting that to me.

That's my tuppence worth, SCC is full of good advice :)
  • Options
    well there isnt any need to worry then. If youre really worried give your midwife a call. Theyll tell you your options, but if she still hasnt turned by 39 or 40 weeks, they will almost certainly book you in for a section. Theyre not gonna just leave you and see if you can push a baby out sideways hun. They may well want to do it earlier than 40 weeks if she shows no sign of budging rather than letting you go into natural labour and then an emergency section.
    Fingers crossed she turns before then. There is every chance she will :)
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of swimming, I swim like a 4 year old, kicking water all over the place!
    I'm not worrying as such, just wish I knew what was going to happen. My next midwife appointment is a week tomorrow so will see what she has to say.
  • Options
    Try spending some time on your hands and knees. It can help to create some space and help the baby move around a little more.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Try spending some time on your hands and knees. It can help to create some space and help the baby move around a little more.

I'm 37 weeks now and my baby is back to back (as was my son) which makes for a long painful labour. Oh joy. I am crawling around so much I have red blobs on my knees :(

I've had a caesarean before and it's not the end of the world. Like SCC says they won't let you push a baby out sideways!!
  • Options
    sounds odd but a friend of mine used music! Played music through some head phones and put the headphones against the very bottom of her belly and the baby turned although I suppose it might have had nothing to do with the music!
  • Options
    I've heard to try putting headphones down there. Only prob is I haven't got an mp3 player or anything and don't fancy a speaker between my legs! lol

I've tried asking nicely, my boyfriend has also tried talking to her from down there. I'm going to find a torch so I can give the 'shining a torch in your bits' a go as that's meant to help too.
  • Options
    You could try putting an ice pack or something on your tummy, might freeze her into moving ;)

None too pleasant for you though!
  • Options
    if you dont like swimming, What I did when I was trying to get Félix to turn was to have a really deep bath and lie/kneel on my front while in the bath for as long as you can, with the weightlessness that the water provides has the same effect as swimming.
  • Options
    Janjan wrote: »
    I've heard to try putting headphones down there. Only prob is I haven't got an mp3 player or anything and don't fancy a speaker between my legs! lol

I've tried asking nicely, my boyfriend has also tried talking to her from down there. I'm going to find a torch so I can give the 'shining a torch in your bits' a go as that's meant to help too.
    you could probably pick up a cheap pair of head phones that'll plug into you stereo.