Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Calls to ban cage fighting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6978438.stm

Can't say I agree, although I do think that cage fighting is really really shit.

Comments

• Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6978438.stm

Can't say I agree, although I do think that cage fighting is really really shit.

can't say I'm a fan, but those who get in the ring know what they're doing
  • Options
    It's difficult to take the BMA seriously when they've been campaigning for a ban on boxing for over twenty years.

Don't really know much about it but I'm not sure I see the point in banning it and forcing it underground. And well if those who take part know the risks I can't see a problem.
  • Options
    It's difficult to take the BMA seriously when they've been campaigning for a ban on boxing for over twenty years.

But to be fair, at least they've been successful in making it quite a bit safer (I don't know how much the BMA in particular had to do with that). You don't get people being allowed to carry on based purely on the fact that they can still stand up any more.

I know that boxing has far more brain injuries that cage fighting, but then it's a far more widespread sport, and I'm not sure how many as a percentage each gets. But from what I hear, the most dangerous thing with regards to brain injury is blackouts, not repeated blows to the head, and these seem to occur more often in cage fighting.
  • Options
    loada balls, people participate at their own free will and its not like two fellas are stuck in a ring and told to fight to the death, theres numerous rules put in place to prevent any serious damage to people
  • Options
    Don't really know much about it but I'm not sure I see the point in banning it and forcing it underground. And well if those who take part know the risks I can't see a problem.

yep pretty much.

MMA is actualy pretty interesting stuff, sort of a combination of the speed of and quickness of boxing with the technique of grappleing.

Had a friend who used to do it in a youth league back in high school, she had nothing but good things to say about it.
  • Options
    fucking horrible. I dont feel comfortable with it being legal, but i dont know a lot about it.
  • Options
    Going by the number of injuries recently in football, cricket and rugby, UFC seems a pretty safe option. If they CHOOSE to fight, and have the appropriate skills to defend themselves, let them. Personally, I enjoy watching it on Bravo. Rather watch a legal form of that then it go underground - like dog fighting.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong at all with cage fighting! It's great to watch, I'd love to participate!

The whole 'cage' thing makes it sound worse, but it's just an MMA fight in a cage for added drama lol.

It's not really no holds barred either as genitals and back of the head are not supposed to be hit etc.

My mate does cage fighting, and another of my mates is very into the organising scene..

Oh, and the ring girls in cage fighting are HOT. lol
  • Options

Oh, and the ring girls in cage fighting are HOT. lol

:eek2: yuuuuuck

but yeah, the whole 'cage' part is just for added drama. There's other MMA leagues out there that use a regular ring.
  • Options
    yuk? PLEASE!

85633235_66365bb0a0.jpg
  • Options
    20070411113615ufc69_misc_006.jpg
  • Options
    the man with the plan!

:yum:
  • Options
    Too right! There was a ring girl competition down my way in Newport lol, and of course my mate had guest list and VIP for the thing as he was selling supplements and stuff there.. rock on!! lol
  • Options
    ok, maybe the chick on the right in the first picture, but that is about it.
  • Options
    don't lie. you'd do the others too, if they propositioned you.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

Only 'cause I'd be scared of them :p

I don't see the problem with cage fightingn if people are stupid enough to do it, but anyone who gets injured should be paying their own medical bills, and should be paying for their own ambulance.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

exactly!
    I don't see the problem with cage fightingn if people are stupid enough to do it, but anyone who gets injured should be paying their own medical bills, and should be paying for their own ambulance.

Are you for real? Same for american football, rugby, ice hockey, karate, boxers, f1 drivers - anything with any danger?

And lets be honest, all of these guys are going to be insured up to the eyeballs.
  • Options
    "No holds barred"? What the fuck are they on about? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote: »
    "No holds barred"? What the fuck are they on about? :rolleyes:

Exactly! morons.
  • Options
    Are you for real? Same for american football, rugby, ice hockey, karate, boxers, f1 drivers - anything with any danger?

Any sport where the aim of the game is to hurt your opponent so much that he cannot fight you anymore would be covered.

Boxing, in particular, should pay for its own medical care.
    And lets be honest, all of these guys are going to be insured up to the eyeballs.

All the more reason to make them cough up, isn't it.
  • Options
    Some people will always want to beat the shit out of each other for money, banning it wouldn't solve a thing.
  • Options
    If people want to get hurt, let them, they are the ones who are going to die and rot.