Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Benefit claimants 'to be forced to take lie detector tests'

Benefit claimants and job seekers could be forced to take lie detector tests as early as next year after an early review of a pilot scheme exposed 126 benefit cheats in just three months, saving one local authority £110,000.
Last May, the Department for Work and Pensions asked Harrow council in London to undertake a year-long, £63,000 pilot of the ground-breaking Voice Risk Analysis (VRA) technology.

'We will wait until the end of the formal evaluation period to make a final decision about rolling the technology out across the country but this early review by the council is very positive,' said a spokesman for the DWP.
http://money.guardian.co.uk/news_/story/0,,2160873,00.html

WTF???

This country is starting to make 1984 look like a hippy commune.

Can I suggest giving lie detectors to all who are self employed and those who earn over 100K a year, least they're engaging in tax evasion?

Why stop there? We could stop people at random on the street and ask them whether they have broken the law in any way whatsoever recently. If you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear, right?

Fucking hell.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Can we also give lie detector tests to politicians who claim not to be fiddling their expenses? Can we give lie detector tests to our ministers whenever they talk about education, health, transport, Iraq etc?

Neither of those will ever happen, and this won't either. Whoever said spin was dead under Gordon Brown?
  • Options
    Maybe if they actually carried out the systems that are supposedly already in place, it wouldn't be so easy to cheat the system. You're supposed to keep a diary when you're on jobseekers, but from what I hear, they rarely actually look at it and just rely on the persons word that they have applied for a load of jobs.
  • Options
    Great idea. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    "an early review of a pilot scheme exposed 126 benefit cheats in just three months, saving one local authority £110,000"

and this is a bad thing?
  • Options
    Yes, for the same reason that it would be a bad thing if thousands of crimes were prevented every year by making everyone take random lie detector tests on the streets.
  • Options
    Are they going to employ Jeremy Kyle to read the results?
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »

:lol::lol:

I've seen that program a couple of times since being off work. My god. :lol:
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    :lol::lol:

I've seen that program a couple of times since being off work. My god. :lol:

A couple of times? My god, I dunno how you could have even sat through one! :lol: He's such a wanker. How on earth do guys like him get airtime???
  • Options
    Just to play Devil's Advocate: All the arguments against the test seem like uproar at the encroaching on areas of life where the status quo is illegal activity routinely going unpunished.
  • Options
    Just to play Devil's Advocate: All the arguments against the test seem like uproar at the encroaching on areas of life where the status quo is illegal activity routinely going unpunished.

I understand what you are saying but if MOST applicants were applying illegally, then the tests would be fair enough ... but as it is only a small percentrage that are, why put EVERYONE through it? They should follow up on suspects in a different manner.

Unless, of course, they are swan-eating immigrants ... ;)
  • Options

will they do the same about all the tax dodgers?

or builders? :lol:
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I understand what you are saying but if MOST applicants were applying illegally, then the tests would be fair enough ... but as it is only a small percentrage that are, why put EVERYONE through it? They should follow up on suspects in a different manner.

Unless, of course, they are swan-eating immigrants ... ;)

I don't immediately draw distinction between asking someone to take a lie detector test and asking them to provide evidence that they've been applying for jobs and attending interviews - which presumably they ask of everyone. I haven't thought much into this, but i don't seem to have the same instinctive reaction everyone else does. £110,000 saving seems like a lot of money to me, and certainly could do a lot of good in a local school - for example.

Hanging isn't good enough for those swan-eating terrorists.... :D
  • Options
    will they do the same about all the tax dodgers?

or builders? :lol:

Isn't the lie detector test's deployment more a question of practicality than anything else? I this it's fallacious to try draw direct comparison between testing people claiming benefits and testing random members of the public.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »

Lol exactly what I was thinking!!

This is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Hanging isn't good enough for those swan-eating terrorists.... :D

'terrorists' or 'immigrants'? Same difference, I suppose ... :p
  • Options
    As long as they don't base it just on a lie detector test I can't see a problem. However just on lie detector cases there is plenty of evidence that they're not foolproof - some people get nervous and it shows up if they're lying even if telling the truth and fluent liars (or people who are well prepared and versed in what they're about to say) can fool it in thinking they're telling the truth.
  • Options
    As long as they don't base it just on a lie detector test I can't see a problem. However just on lie detector cases there is plenty of evidence that they're not foolproof - some people get nervous and it shows up if they're lying even if telling the truth and fluent liars (or people who are well prepared and versed in what they're about to say) can fool it in thinking they're telling the truth.

Agree.

If it were used as a red flag system, whereby people who fell foul of the lie detector where investigated more thoroughly by a human, I can see it being a fairly useful tool
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I remember in a tv series, I think the X-Files, someone used a pin in their shoe to prick themselves at times and trick the lie detector. I don't remember the principle though.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    A couple of times? My god, I dunno how you could have even sat through one! :lol:

It's amazing how your brain rots with a month or so off work..........................
  • Options
    Jeremy Kyle is rubbish, it's the same topics every single day. I prefered the old days when there was a variety, eg Trisha (which is just not the same on channel 5), Vanessa (even if the guests were fake), Kilroy (had some interesting topics up for discussion), Rikki Lake (go Rikki, go Rikki) and Jerry Springer.

But nothing beats Phil and Fern. Hmmm I miss daytime TV. Still, I might have plenty of time to watch it in a few weeks!
  • Options
    It's so patheitic that this case prompts a whole lot of 'blame the lying benefit scroungers' rather than 'look at the lying thieving politician'!
  • Options
    When are they going to find the time to give lie detector tests to every single person on benefits?
  • Options
    To be honest, I don't really see the issue.

The status quo is that Government hit targets by randomly booting people off incapacity benefit for no reason (my client won her appeal today...woo), and if lie detector tests mean that only the guilty get clobbered then I'm all for it.

The issues I have would be around how accurate the lie detector tests are. Anything less than 100% and that means innocent people will be labelled cheats, and won't be able to defend themselves.
  • Options
    i don't really like the idea of it at all.. no matter what it's being used for (to catch out people committed benefit fraud or not) .. if lie detectors are on the cards, whats next!? :shocking: